Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Acquistion GPS Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, good point - I've never run out of space...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Like how I worked in a reason to drive the 3 around the block?

I think it will see about 25 miles a month (if lucky) around town. Track? I lost count
Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
What they claim and what is reality is 2 different ballgames. I tried that at 40 and didn't even get through my 2nd session on day 2 before it stopped recording data. I was not a happy camper as I was really getting some good data rich laps in.

I'll have to run a test and see how much I can load onto the unit driving around town and get a better understanding of "true" memory capacity.

I had a similar problem. I'm guessing you had deleted some sessions but not all of the sessions on your Traqmate.
Traqmate records the data in a linear fashion. I can't really explain it well (I just tried but deleted it), but basically either delete all of your sessions at once or don't delete any at all. Actually you could delete sessions from the end.
Basically if you have 5 sessions and you wanted to delete session 3. Either don't delete it, or delete Session 5, 4, AND 3. It does some funny things if there is a gap in the session numbers. Again, it has to do with the way it records data to its memory.

-Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbarton
I had a similar problem. I'm guessing you had deleted some sessions but not all of the sessions on your Traqmate.
Traqmate records the data in a linear fashion. I can't really explain it well (I just tried but deleted it), but basically either delete all of your sessions at once or don't delete any at all. Actually you could delete sessions from the end.
Basically if you have 5 sessions and you wanted to delete session 3. Either don't delete it, or delete Session 5, 4, AND 3. It does some funny things if there is a gap in the session numbers. Again, it has to do with the way it records data to its memory.

-Scott
Scott, now my head hurts
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Scott said, I also found out about the memrory storage issues the hard way. You can't delete the old and keep the new, you must delete the newest and earlier. I now delete everything after it's downloaded and don't retain any data on the unit.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
Scott, now my head hurts
You think that's bad, you should have read my original post where I actually tried to explain how it works! LOL!

-Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Just thinking of that has forced me to make a martini
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the classic fragmentation problem. They made a simple decision in storage (memory) management by only recording contiguously - probably because of the very high rate of writes - and involving some kind of page mode. Since it can't "jump around" in the storage, it likely will not assume it can fit a new session in the gap left by an old session delete, so simply starts at the end of wherever the last session quit writing - figuring there's a better chance, usually, to get the entire new session recorded.

Quick Reply: Data Acquistion GPS Accuracy