Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Mounting - Shoulder belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, something else I see a lot and disagree with, is when the shoulder belts angle downward as they go back. Seems to me they should go straight back. When they are angled downward, as you press forward, they would seem to have a spine-compressing effect. I'm sure this has been covered also but I'm interested in John's take on it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

So how come the engineers at Porsche and various other professional racecar builders and teams continue to mount the belts this way if it is less safe than other options? They could easily weld a bar to the main hoop that doesn't reduce the amount of seat adjustability and weighs the same as the current bar.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Still, same result. No matter what it is relative to, the body is still moving when the Earth isn't (in this regard) and the car isn't as much (after it hits something), and the time that the body continues to move is critical. Stop it quick, and in as linear a fashion as possible, reducing the whip, and the overall load.
I disagree, you want to slow down the body as slowly as possible(but of course cars have spacial limitations, things that you would be worse off to hit than to take more time to stop your body...). Would you rather jump off a building onto a sidewalk and stop is .01 seconds, or jump onto an air cushion and take 1 second to stop? Would you rather jump off a bridge with a steel cable or bungee cord?

Now that's not to say don't want to control the body quickly. The harness should still be tight in a static state, not loose. The quicker you control the body, the better. The quicker you stop the body, the worse.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

If any of you ever want the right answers on these topics, contact Joe Marko at HMS Motorsports in Peabody, MA.

I have bought some things from him and consulted with him in the past. He is mentioned in the latest Pano. I encourage you to become informed from professionals with racing pedigrees.

By the way, I'd bet that the fellow in the accident at Sears was going nowhere near 80 when he hit the truck.

- Mike
Porsche Racing Club
Old 11-27-2007, 01:55 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
So how come the engineers at Porsche and various other professional racecar builders and teams continue to mount the belts this way if it is less safe than other options? They could easily weld a bar to the main hoop that doesn't reduce the amount of seat adjustability and weighs the same as the current bar.
The physics of what John sasy is sound as I understand it. MY guess at the reason for the disparity in what you see is because John builds cars for you and me custom. They build cars for anyone between 5' and 7' tall. The geometry is simple. The farther back you mount the belts the greater number of driver sizes you can accomodate and still be in the acceptable range of belt angles w and w/o HANS. If you make the belt attachment point right behind the seat for my 5'4" body it is totally wrong for my 6 ' buddy sharing my car in an enduro. Building a car is always a compromise and it is always less of one if I build everything just for me.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

OK Gregg;

Point taken. I'd forgotten that. Simon is likely right. It would take someone way smarter than me to work it all out, and I'm sure it has been.

Still, same result. No matter what it is relative to, the body is still moving when the Earth isn't (in this regard) and the car isn't as much (after it hits something), and the time that the body continues to move is critical. Stop it quick, and in as linear a fashion as possible, reducing the whip, and the overall load.

The thing that makes this all work is that when they started crash testing in earnest, they found that it was the violent stop at the end of the long stretch that killed you, not the stop alone. Just like jumping off the building. It's the sudden stop after the long fall. Jump 6" and it doesn't hurt as much.

The human body can take WAY more stress than anyone realized (except the neck) if the term is short. Stop it quick then made sense!

I'm with John - I'm sure you don't want the driver to be moving much with respect to the vehicle. John's description of the "whip" is a good one.

With respect to the "long" belts in the OP, I think it *might* be to minimise the angle change for taller vs shorter drivers. Perhaps the factories have analysed that the risk of a steep shoulder harness is greater than a shallow angle on a longer belt. Personally I've side-stepped this issue by having a higher harness bar welded in to my rollbar, and lowering my seat to get both a short run and a shallow angle.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
The physics of what John sasy is sound as I understand it. MY guess at the reason for the disparity in what you see is because John builds cars for you and me custom. They build cars for anyone between 5' and 7' tall. The geometry is simple. The farther back you mount the belts the greater number of driver sizes you can accomodate and still be in the acceptable range of belt angles w and w/o HANS. If you make the belt attachment point right behind the seat for my 5'4" body it is totally wrong for my 6 ' buddy sharing my car in an enduro. Building a car is always a compromise and it is always less of one if I build everything just for me.
I don't think driver height is at play here. The existing cage bars will determine the most rearward position of the seat, so the should belts could easily be mounted further forward. Also, I remember seeing belt lengths like this in WRC cars which I assume are built for the driver. Are 996/997 Cups the same as this RSR?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NNH
With respect to the "long" belts in the OP, I think it *might* be to minimise the angle change for taller vs shorter drivers. Perhaps the factories have analysed that the risk of a steep shoulder harness is greater than a shallow angle on a longer belt.
Ha!

That is an absolutely stand-out observation. Kudos, Sir. Wish I'd tought of it myself! As FBB said, they are building for everyone they can get to drop the coin to own one. Stuck is 6-2-ish, and Long is... well... not. Everyone is free to customize from there to suit their needs. That's why I put NOTHING on my roll bars.

A slight angle downward from shoulder to terminus give a slight bit of compression, and this aids body as well as HANS retention. When you cinch down, you can feel the difference of only a few degrees.

I also encourage people to seek out expert opinion. Get as many as you can. Please do call HMS Motorsport so they can corroborate what I've said. Nobody knows/remembers everything or gets everything right every time they say something, but we've gotten whatever knowledge we possess from a lot of the same sources!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
kevintee
AutoX

Originally Posted by chancecasey
When they are angled downward, as you press forward, they would seem to have a spine-compressing effect.
It definitely does cause a compression effect but I believe it is 'safe' with up to something like 15 degrees of ange downwards. I know Simpson recommends mounting between 0-15 degrees for harnesses and they make those things for racers that crash at over 250mph like top alcohol dragsters.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the conversation. This is a good topic. I spent a lot of time worrying about my install and I spent a lot of time with the Schroth manual

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/383245-harness-mount-question.html

http://www.schroth.com/installation-.../en/index.html

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cabcar
Thanks for the conversation. This is a good topic. I spent a lot of time worrying about my install and I spent a lot of time with the Schroth manual
Hey;

That's a good place to go, Cabcar. Anyone who knows a lot about this topic owes a big chunk of it to Karl Schroth.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

OK Gregg;

Point taken. I'd forgotten that. Simon is likely right. It would take someone way smarter than me to work it all out, and I'm sure it has been.
Whoa! Did I ever misinterpret that post. My sincere apologies, sir.

No, no, no; I'm 100% with ya. Excellent summary. You nailed it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
JMeager
Advanced

One thing you want to avoid in your configuration I believe is if you have a downward angle on the harness, you want to ensure that after "your" compression the harnesses have not dropped low enough such that the seat becomes a pivot / support point. This could cause all sorts of problems if the seat breaks during impact as it wasn't designed for the forces being applied.

cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
JMeager
Advanced

From the Schroth manual itself!
"Extremely long shoulder belts allow for extra elongation and head movement and must be avoided."
"Long shoulder belts also provide more slack in the rebound phase so the belts may slip off the occupant's shoulders"

However define long and extremely
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
Whoa! Did I ever misinterpret that post. My sincere apologies, sir.

No, no, no; I'm 100% with ya. Excellent summary. You nailed it.
Oooooops!

I've fallen afoul of too many Gs, and didn't see it until the above. I meant Greg Smith. It sounds the same, you know? Greg... Gregg... Or is the latter GregGUH? It's all so much work!

I understand what Simon was saying, I believe. While it may be splitting hairs, it is likely accurate.

Quick Reply: Harness Mounting - Shoulder belts