Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any disclosure required when selling a non-streetable car with a VIN #

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007 | 05:03 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Default Is there any disclosure required when selling a non-streetable car with a VIN #

This just popped into my head so I thought I would ask you guys.

I'm not but if I were to sell a non-street legal race car that was once a street legal car would I need to get a signed disclosure from the buyer acknowledging that it's not street-able, or that it is but not in the current configuration? I wouldn't be worried about DMV just any potential liability issues.

New buyer drives it on the street, gets into a fender bender and fatally smacks his head on the roll cage. Does he have a legitimate case against me?
Old 11-16-2007 | 05:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thinking of buying my 930 Chris? LOL
Old 11-16-2007 | 05:43 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

I had the person who bought my car sign an agreement acknowledging that the car was not street legal, and that should he want to register the vehicle, he would be responsible for purchasing and installing the required safety and emissions items.

Also included was a waiver (for what it was worth) that he was purchasing a race car and that racing was risky, etc. and that the purchase agreement represented a waiver of liability.

Seemed to me that this was prudent thing to do as it the buyer will acknowledge the current condition of the vehicle and can't later say "I didn't know"
Old 11-16-2007 | 05:57 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

In my dreams Gary!
Old 11-16-2007 | 08:04 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Seemed to me that this was prudent thing to do as it the buyer will acknowledge the current condition of the vehicle and can't later say "I didn't know"
If you're really worried, write out the bill of sale as a "parts car".

Quick Reply: Is there any disclosure required when selling a non-streetable car with a VIN #