924 2.0L SCCA results - ARRC - and future

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 924 2.0L SCCA results - ARRC - and future

Just a quick note as I recover between trips here... just got back from the ARRC at Road Atlanta last weekend... first time there (to RA, as well as the ARRC) and so first chance to line up w/ the big dogs...

Took some time to get dialed in with the track, but the data system SURE helped there! Also had some minor ignition misfires to get sorted, right through the Q1 session, but it all came together for Q2 and managed a half-respectable 9th spot on grid (9th overall and in ITB) - and in striking distance to the top 5.

Race was awesome, despite a poor start; played it conservative, wanted to survive to the 20th lap! So got passed up the hill by a couple of ITC cars; working back past these guys and a few more slower ITB cars that outqualified me resulted in losing touch with the top 5 pack, but at least we stabilized and stayed in sight of them.

Worked back and forth a bit with my usual buddy in the BMW, but he just couldn't hang on the straights - the top-end power and the aero of the 924 just put him back, no matter what. Additional bonus, we found out our gearing is so tall we didn't even need 5th gear; as a result, it was easy to push hard into 10 every time, with only one gear to drop, and handily out-brake anyone (already had the brake advantage - though maybe next time I'll add brake cooling ducts, they were starting to get a little weak late in the race. Or maybe I need new brake pads - they were half-worn going into the weekend).

Final result, after the pole-sitter took out the defending champion into the wall on the front straight with 3 laps to go, was we brought her home in 5th - a very respectable showing against a heap of pro-built motors, first time there, overweight (with an extra 1/4 tank of gas due to bad estimates and over-cautious driver, plus the rest of the grid seems to think our spec weight is still heavy by 100#+), and poor chassis tuning (car was pushing, needs tweaking - struts - for next season).

So we've now proven pretty conclusively that the old 924 has a serious shot at being a top car in ITB; even the hot-shot Golf A3 pilots figure it'll be a force to contend with once get a little weight shaved off, now that we've found our way around the track. I think we could've had a decent shot at hanging with those guys if we'd stayed in touch in the first 2 laps, as is. I figure that if we were to go back next year (don't think we will, can't imagine the budget there to support it) we could have a legit shot at the podium with only shock tuning and some more engine dyno tweaking.

Sorry, no pics yet; may if I'm lucky have time to upload some before I leave tomorrow for vacation! Too much travel...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Very very nice! AARC is like a national race for IT cars.

5th for a first time to RA is impressive.... especially without brake ducts!

pls post the video! love the front/back cameras views!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Sorry, video crapped out half-way, lost power. I'm considering maybe upgrading to an Aiptek for next year; at very least, we'll be doing some re-work.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add - based on feedback from other IT guys, I plan to put in a request to the Club Racing Board (of SCCA) shortly to ask for a weight reduction in line with the other/fast ITB cars... might be able to get it down around 2500#.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent, I was waiting for your writeup on the ARRC. I've been getting all the info on the formula cars but I was wondering how you thought ITB went for you and the car.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers! Yeah, I thought it went as well as could be expected, given the circumstances. Decided to focus on motor prep rather than chassis prep before the race; it paid off! Did new rings and a fresh valve job, in addition to a lot of cleaning (been 4 years since the head was off), and she ran great once the misfires were fixed. My target was to finish in the top five - and we made it, if only just!

I enjoyed watching the formula cars run there; after years of watching them at home, pretty boring on a little 1.4mile track, watching them all tear into T1 at speed was much more like it!! Finally, a track that they're suited to!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

924RACR

You want a weight reduction for a Porsche, in ITB. Yeah, right. The only way you'll get a break in SCCA is to buy a Mazda.

Note to Geo. I'm only kidding.

Also, Vaughan, Congrats. I had a friend there taking pictures, I'll check and see if he has any of you.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks - would love to have them! Going to upload what I have to the website now...
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Went through them last night, and even though he is a Porsche guy, most of the pictures were of Mazdas. I guess everyone is out to show favoritism to Mazda over Porsche, LOL

Bill
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

<groan>

Not many Mazdas in our group, so he might not have taken any pics of Group 3 - only the Spec RX7's. There weren't a whole lot of P-cars, though. There was one killer ITR 944S2 driven by Russ Jones, I believe, who demolished the field in his group (lumped with ITS)! Very nice, clean, and well-driven car. One other ITS 944, don't believe it was an S, and Kip VanSteenburg (sp?) who runs a 944S but was running an ITS Miata that weekend, and a few very pretty 911 GT cars...

OK, so got my pics uploaded:
http://vaughanscott.com/Races/2007/ARRC_07.htm

Old 11-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Vaughn

One of the hot shoes in the area I drive in is Chris Albin. He is a multiple ITB MIDAM champ, and I believe he has won the ARRC in years past, and you were only 13/100's of a second behind him in fast lap. I'd say you and your car have really good potential.

Bill
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, he seemed like he sorta knew his way around the place... but we put him behind us real quick, like lap 2, and he was chasing after that... but he had a wheel bearing going and his crew called him in halfway through to save the car for the enduro, so he wasn't able to stay in the fight w/ Doug and me... he did recover for a 2nd place in the Enduro, apparently. He tried hard, but just didn't quite have the speed to stay in front of us.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats Vaughan !
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
The only way you'll get a break in SCCA is to buy a Mazda.

Note to Geo. I'm only kidding.
Actually, apparently Mazda is pretty pissed at the SCCA right now.

Vaughan, if you passed Chris Albin, you're doing damned well. Chris is an excellent driver and always well prepared.

Quick Reply: 924 2.0L SCCA results - ARRC - and future