Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR - breakdown of corners and proper line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

[QUOTE=LVDell;4757113]168???? Are you serious???? DO you have data aquisition to confirm this? What are you driving and what mods do you have. Pushing 170 is quite some feat. It take alot to get over 150 in a non grand-am car.

Definitely...its not even hard to break 150 as I do that IIRC near the damn hill(a bit after) and 5th gear is really, REALLY strong in my car...170-175 is probably where Ill max out at when I get through Oaktree a bit faster. I hit low/mid 180s at Pocono running reverse IMSA (THATS fun). The TT is a VERY potent beast (which is why I think it makes a GREAT racecar if the track is fast enough and the suspension is tuned correctly).

But ya...again, hellz no on the no lift for southbend...haha
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Correct. About the highest power street-based race car you can drove flat thru there is maybe a BMW 330i (225hp).
This is probably about right, even then it might be tough if taking the Esses correctly. I carry about 112 out of the climbing Esses in my 250-260 hp RSA and have to brake quite a bit for SB for a min. apex speed of 90 (about what that Dodge Challenger did there, IIRC). A pro will be able to get a bit more there, but not 20 mph more I don't think.

Assuming the original poster will be driving his 993 TT he will need to lift for the Esses and brake for SB. Also, the curbing isn't a big deal as long as your wheels are straight (IMO).

Last edited by forklift; 11-08-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Definitely...its not even hard to break 150 as I do that IIRC near the damn hill(a bit after) and 5th gear is really, REALLY strong in my car...170-175 is probably where Ill max out at when I get through Oaktree a bit faster. I hit low/mid 180s at Pocono running reverse IMSA (THATS fun). The TT is a VERY potent beast (which is why I think it makes a GREAT racecar if the track is fast enough and the suspension is tuned correctly).

But ya...again, hellz no on the no lift for southbend...haha
That's why I asked if it is modded. That's not going to hit 175 in a stock TT. So, what have you done to that beast?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. About the highest power street-based race car you can drove flat thru there is maybe a BMW 330i (225hp).
sounds about right, but that might even be pushing it...i guess its dependent on how fast you can get that car through the esses...i can't imagine someone going flat through soutbend in a cup car knowing how fast those cars can get through the esses...

maybe some people were confusing t10 with one of the turns in the esses?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Don't you mean, between the 2 left-handers?
Well that es-planes the poor lap times. Duh. That s what I get for posting while stuck on a con call. thanks for the catch.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
sounds about right, but that might even be pushing it...i guess its dependent on how fast you can get that car through the esses...i can't imagine someone going flat through soutbend in a cup car knowing how fast those cars can get through the esses...

maybe some people were confusing t10 with one of the turns in the esses?
I was able to be flat in 5th gear in our GAC 330i thru Southbend, even on the laps where I actually got thru 4 well & really worked the Esses properly. Ther key was turing in at the right spot for Southbend and really drifting the car. It was a little scary--the instinct was to lift--but it worked. BIt was probably my best part of the track in addition to the 2 corners after the back straight, but a car with more power? Or the motor in the rear? Fuhgeddaboutit.

By the way, thanks for your advice on the Z214's, Dave.

-DS
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
That's why I asked if it is modded. That's not going to hit 175 in a stock TT. So, what have you done to that beast?
If he is really that fast just ask him to come out and play with us in Dec.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to be flat in 5th gear in our GAC 330i thru Southbend, even on the laps where I actually got thru 4 well & really worked the Esses properly.
you know you're in a momentum car when you talk about t4 and south bend in the same sentence

By the way, thanks for your advice on the Z214's, Dave.
anytime!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
not much power-wise acutally...just headers and straightpipes with an intake thats Bstock legal. My car has always run amazingly strong however (this was a wednesday car to the fullest). That said, the headers back on the TT translates to something fairly decent in power in conjunction with 100 octane. What helped the most was the suspension which allows for a good deal more exit speed off of oak. I definitely give up some agility to GT3s for sure, but I also gain a decent amount of top end...

What do you end up before the brake zone? 160?

btw, my readings were only the speedo readings, not a GPS verified speed...BUT, I never looked what I was acutally at when I hit the brakes, I would look maybe 300-500 ft before the zone even starts.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I am in the low 150's when I jam the brakes. I think 153 is my top speed so far. I brake just after the 1 marker (between the 1 and the *). My exit speed at Oak Tree is pretty substantial. I think the problem with the GT3 is the long gearing. IT BLOWS!!!!! One day soon I will change out my gears. I don't need to or ever envision a time when I need to hit the 190+ top speed. I much rather drop my top speed down in the 170's so I can get through the gears faster.

I'd have to check my Traqmate data to see what my exit speed at Oak Tree is. All I can remember off the top of my head is that it is a 2nd gear corner for me but I treat the entire double apex as one sweeping corner.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha Low 150's !
On a good day I'm in the low 130's with my foot through the floorboard although my exit speed comming right out of Oak Tree is probably close to yours Dell
(note to self, ask Santa for more HP !)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
you know you're in a momentum car when you talk about t4 and south bend in the same sentence

Sofa king true...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Eddie, be nice and Santa should bring you something

As for the Oak Tree speed. I just looked at my Traqmate data and my entry/exit speed at the apex of Oak Tree seems to be about 45mph. I have no idea if that is good or bad. But it sure feels fast as heck.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

ya, gotta be the gearing cause, like I said, even when I wasnt really moving it around there, I could hit 150-155 without any particular "strain". Def get some gears!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You ain't kiddin. The gearing really blows. Next up when I get more "mod money" approved

Quick Reply: VIR - breakdown of corners and proper line?