Sponsored by:

What I learned at SCCA race school

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

LOL! Welcome to Wreck-Me Otters! AKA Spec Pinata, Spec Wreckers, etc...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work with (volunteer!) with Central Florida Region SCCA. We hold 2 schools a year, one at Sebring, one at Daytona. Our schools operate exactly like the one you describe. It is always gratifying to see drivers at the school and then see them later at a Regional race. We also have a Worker's School each year where we hone our skills, including the burning of a car to practice our first-responder skills. Our club races always have more than 300 cars entered. The Daytona races always have 50-60 SM's. It's great to see them bump-drafting in the banking. It is not unusual to see them going 3-wide in the hairpin at Sebring. The SM (and Spec Racer Ford) drivers are among the best out there and great fun to watch. The Flag Chief for the DC region will be with us for Rennsport this weekend. They also bring a contigent of volunteers down to help us with the Rolex 24 at Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring. You should come down and run two great historic racetracks with us. We also work the Daytona and 48 Hours at Sebring PCA races. Glad you had a great SCCA experience!
Regards, Doug
Attached Images   

Last edited by dmw44; 10-30-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:01 PM
jester911
Drifting

This thread has allowed me to relive my experience as well. I attended double drivers school at Roebling in Feb 06 in a friends spec Miata. It was the most intense 3 day experience I have had since USMC boot camp years ago only a ton more fun.

It is hard to describe the dedication of all of the volunteers that make the schools happen. The instructors' corner workers, stewards etc. do an exceptional job and my hat goes off to them.

In our race on Sunday I will never forget how we had 50 cars going down the front straight and I was in the middle of the pack when the green flag flew. We were 2 and three wide at the end of the straight. I still am not sure how we got through T1 without incident but it was definitely a rush.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody done both this SCCA school and the Mid-Atlantic NASA Comp school at VIR? If so, how do they compare?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My how things have changed. When I did my race "school" at Roebling back in the late 90's, we got thrown in a car (without an instructor), the instructor stood at various corners to watch our lines. There was some class room time and a good bit of seat time. Essentially if you couldn't drive on your own when you got there......you left still not being able to drive and with no provisional. The car I was using broke after the first day, luckily my "instructor" thought I did so well from what he could see, he told the CDI that he would run wheel to wheel with me.......off I went with my provisional license. Nice to hear they actually teach something nowadays
It was a hint daunting at first (the amount of traffic and the closeness) but I found I LOVE TRAFFIC I hate spec pinata racing (they're typically maniacs!) but otherwise I love good racers racing close!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt, no comparison. I have not done both, but know first hand from people that have. To each their own, but NASA is in NO WAY as organized as SCCA, specifically the WDC region in that regard.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
michel944
Pro

Phoka, if you catched the racing bug I would suggest that you look closely at the formula Fords, even the "vintage" class. These are real race cars and are very reliable so you can have fun with a minimal budget. In them you learn car control like nowhere else because you have no downforce, no wings...It's pure racing fun. Even a Porsche feels big and heavy when you climb out of one of these !

Quick Reply: What I learned at SCCA race school