Summit Point to be Repaved Next Week

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Summit Point to be Repaved Next Week

As I posted Gary's thread:

I just got a call from a buddy at the Seat Time today. He spoke to Elizabeth/BSR and she said they ARE paving the ENTIRE track starting Monday (after the race). Apparently they aren't ripping out the concrete, they are just paving *over* the entire thing.

What I don't understand is that they still plan on having the FATT that Friday. Can you pave a track in just a few days w/ no/little time to cure?

Hopefully this is all true, and hopefully it will turn out alright.

As I was typing this I figured I would call up there and Angi at BSR confirmed that they are paving the entire track next week and will still be holding the FATT.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

www.snopes.com

Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
JoelG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when they reconfigured the pit straight on the shenendoah we drove on it right away and tore it up real bad.

I think the problem with paving SPR is they use it pretty much every day, all year. When its not in use for motorsports they are using it for their security training schools.

Jim -- your avatar is a riot!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, did they say what their repaving it with?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Maybe they are doing a white-topping with high strength concrete.. That would be fine after a couple days.. Asphalt, on the other hand, won't be. Too bad, at first blush it seems like a big waste of money.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Damn that's funny!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

s a contractor I would cance Fatt
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Hit a wrong button guys my bad!!!

There are a number of asphalt compounds and some would work very well in this short timeframe, especially with the low temps at night that we are currently experiencing. An example would be the resurfacing of 95 or 66 in mid summer and all of the immediate traffic that is experienced in just a matter of hours.

BSR has demonstrated a tightfisted approach to improvements at the main track in recent years and we can only hope that they have chosen a compund that would not jepordize a $550,000 to $600,000 investment in a new surface.

As a contractor, I would cancel Fatt and give the surface as much of a chance as possible.

I very much look forward to driving on the new surface. I as many of you grew up on Summit and love this track dearly. Lately the old girl has been showing her age and this face lift will help great
Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

I don't have any other info. Hopefully they won't screw it up and throw away $600k or whatever it costs w/ running it too soon. After thinking about it, the FATT doesn't concern me as much as the NASA race that weekend. The track will get hammered w/ Rs and slicks.

On the other hand, if they do a good job and we have a decent surface, I might consider the RTR event in Nov the weekend after Potomac. Bob, sorry you can't make the race, maybe I'll see you that weekend.

My buddy says it does look like they are slowly trying to improve things. They put in new landscaping posts(?) where they were falling over (the other side of the bathrooms where the grass meets the paddock) and there is a new sign (memorial?) with the names of all the drivers who have been killed at the track.

I will be there this weekend to watch the clubrace and watch Mark kick *** in D.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Hard to believe with the events each of the next 4 weekends there.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MacGT3
Hit a wrong button guys my bad!!!

There are a number of asphalt compounds and some would work very well in this short timeframe, especially with the low temps at night that we are currently experiencing. An example would be the resurfacing of 95 or 66 in mid summer and all of the immediate traffic that is experienced in just a matter of hours.

BSR has demonstrated a tightfisted approach to improvements at the main track in recent years and we can only hope that they have chosen a compund that would not jepordize a $550,000 to $600,000 investment in a new surface.

As a contractor, I would cancel Fatt and give the surface as much of a chance as possible.

I very much look forward to driving on the new surface. I as many of you grew up on Summit and love this track dearly. Lately the old girl has been showing her age and this face lift will help great

Mac, great info and I am sure you could elaborate after it is done. If they cancel FATT, what about say the "NASA RACE" that starts that weekend.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
On the other hand, if they do a good job and we have a decent surface, I might consider the RTR event in Nov the weekend after Potomac. Bob, sorry you can't make the race, maybe I'll see you that weekend.
Come out Jim. We could use a few more instructors and you'll certainly have people to run with.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I wouldn't put it past a track to just start doing "maintnence" and not tell a group until they are already there.

Just last week the SCCA race at the Milwaukee Mile was cancelled Friday night at 8PM, after nearly 100 cars were already offloaded and through tech. This was because the Mile started some fixup work and it made one of the road course corners deadly if you went off. No word on what MM is doing to make it up to the club either.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Got this in an email from BSR this morning: "The October FATT is next Friday, the 12th, on Summit Point Raceway.
If the weather holds, this will be the first event after the track has been re-surfaced. Word is that the entire track will get a fresh coat of asphalt."

Bob, actually I do remember having a conversation w/ someone in Potomac who spoke to Bill Scott and said that when they do pave Summit they will be using up to date polymer stuff blacktop. Found this in a quick google. Maybe they the WV pavers have this stuff: http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=2532 Anyway, it has to be an improvement over what is there now.

Hey Larry, I will try to make it. I think I will be just out of brake pad and tire at the Potomac event, and was going to end the season there, but the new surface is tempting for another weekend. I've pretty much been in a plateau at Summit since 9/05 with little improvement so I'd like to put in some more time there this year (only 2 events there so far in 07).
Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, this is looking to be a great weekend for me new setup on the car and new pavement, sounds good! I'm now 1/2 tempted to sign up for the friday FATT just to try out the track.

Quick Reply: Summit Point to be Repaved Next Week