GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install one yet?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Not yet. The expense from Road America is making me wait until the off-season. Also, I'm not sure how it will interact with the PSM
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 AM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Todd:

Glad to see you got the Boxster. Keep us posted on how it works for you at the track.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not Spec (BSR) - it was also built for Grand Am (the Randy Pobst threads in this forum have more info, as he drove it at PCA) so it is more similar to the SpeedSource Boxsters. I have an LSD for it, but not sure I will use it or not - two schools of thought on that, and I don't do auto-x so I'm not sure it will help me all that much
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Well, it's all dialed in, I hope - might have a vacuum line loose or out, as it keeps stalling, but I'm not sure yet.

Tuesday I leave for 2 days at Buttonwillow to give this car a workout.
If the car is stalling, take a spare MAF sensor with you to the track. My car, which had a new MAF sensor a few race weekends ago after the original 135K mile sensor failed, started stalling. I drove up to the grid for practice, it stalled. As I drove to the grid for the race, it started 'almost' stalling and hunting for RPM. When I would rev it, it would stumble and even backfire. In the race I seemed to be 3-4 secs off my qual pace, even when in clear traffic? When I got back to the shop, it had a check engine code. When the mechanic revved the car, he said it was running like crap, it was also still back firing and stumbling when you would rev it (a rich running condition). Well, we put in an old MAF sensor and it immediately cleared up and ran normally. If the car has a K&N filter in it, then remove it and go back to stock? We 'think' that the oil on the K&N is collecting building on the MAF sesnor wires and causing premature failure? We are also considering re-routing the oil burn off (as used for emissions). But anyway, if it's stalling, get a spare MAF sensor. After the Sunday race, it wouldn't start or idle to load to the trailer. And clearly it didn't run too well either being 4 secs a lap slower. Bring it out to POC soon. I know it's not Boxster Spec, but we can still have a blast thrashing around.

Cheers,
Dylan.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Dylan,

I plan to do POC - I'm taking my 987S to Streets in November, and hope to do Time Trials with POC soon, hopefully with a test run with Marty so I can be passed through.

I didn't think of a MAF - don't have a spare that I can bring to the track Tuesday, but I might get one later, or just see if it's merely a factor of a cold engine with very little gas in the tank.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I hated towing with the Pepper. It was capable but not nearly as stable as the Pimpmobile.
Now, now, now Dell.....don't disparage the Cayenne ........you don't want to get "them" going now do you?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It tows MUCH BETTER with the car in it than empty, when it bounced around and was feeling unstable and jerky.
Just out of curiosity, what type of trailer suspension? Torsen axles? What spring rate?

I could smell the hot transmission when I got out (it does have a transmission temperature gauge and an auxilliary tranny cooler) but all was just dandy.
I don't recall ever smelling transmission fluid in any of my Ford Excursions/Crew Cabs.....are you sure everything is dandy?
Have you checked the color of the fluid? Does the Escalade have a 'tow' mode for the transmission?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Dylan,
I didn't think of a MAF - don't have a spare that I can bring to the track Tuesday, but I might get one later, or just see if it's merely a factor of a cold engine with very little gas in the tank.
That's a big gamble. We've had several cars fail with this problem and when they do, it's all over until you put a new sensor in. But hey, it's your 2 days at the track.

P.D.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 AM
donoman
Racer

What size are your CCW Classic wheels? Nice setup!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Just out of curiosity, what type of trailer suspension? Torsen axles? What spring rate?

I don't recall ever smelling transmission fluid in any of my Ford Excursions/Crew Cabs.....are you sure everything is dandy?
Have you checked the color of the fluid? Does the Escalade have a 'tow' mode for the transmission?
The suspension is springs with shocks, instead of torsion axles - tandem 3500lb axles.

It's not burning fluid or anything, just hot metal smell, like brakes but not as strong - similar to the smell of the engine after a long trip. I've noticed that in this car from the start, and it doesn't alarm me, really.

It has a tow mode, which is very efficient - changes the shift patterns, automatically engages engine braking on hills, and allows manual override, plus the suspension is auto-leveling, it has an aux tranny cooler, and a class V hitch. It's pretty well setup for towing for being a soccer mom car.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:06 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by donoman
What size are your CCW Classic wheels? Nice setup!
The car's in the trailer, and I barely fit between the car and the walls, so I'll check for sure some other time, but I believe they are 17X8 front and 17X9.5 or 17X9 rear
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by PeanutinCA
That's a big gamble. We've had several cars fail with this problem and when they do, it's all over until you put a new sensor in. But hey, it's your 2 days at the track.

P.D.
Crap, now you have me worried. I have no clue where to pick one up today (since the track day is tomorrow) unless it is the dealer, where it will be $495 or something ridiculous.

Here's exactly what happens. When the engine is cold, it surges constantly - vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom, and that quiets down after some driving - not yet up to temp, but a bit warmer. When on an incline, it stalls almost all the time, and there is very little gas in the tank - perhaps just over a gallon total. It doesn't seem to stall on a level ground. It runs really rich, but does not backfire, and when I pulled up to the house for the first time, on the inclined driveway, it stalled just putting it in neutral.

Won't the engine fault codes show a bad MAF? I could head to Autozone and borrow their OBDII.

FYI, the builder of the car thinks it is unlikely to be the MAF - he's convinced it is a vacuum tube loose or disconnected.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no clue where to pick one up today (since the track day is tomorrow) unless it is the dealer, where it will be $495 or something ridiculous.
You might want to try Mike Essa at Tech Trix Motorsports. His shop is in Anaheim and he's built quite a few of the POC Spec Boxsters. You can call him at (310) 901-6522
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Phil,
I'm interested in your suggestion, time share, you know I like that car. Let's take it off line and discuss further. Why don't you come to CMP with us for one last go this year?

Quick Reply: Boxster track car photos (finally) and towing experience