Sponsored by:

Forced Air Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Air Helmets

So my 2000 is nearing the end of its life and I have a buddy attending an event so I thought it would be the perfect time to upgrade. I have used Simpson products exclussively and like them but have not had any experience with forced air systems.

Question: What is the recommended make/style of SA05 helmet with forced air. Also I have noticed the pick-up point vaires: some on top rear, some on left side

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Christian,

I prefer the left side chin pickup as it is easier to connect and disconnect. I currently use a GForce which comes ready from the factory and reportedly designed with the assistance of FAST (Fresh Air Systems) who make the air pumps, ...

For a vent system to work well you should use a helmet skirt so you don't get air in from other sources. Another thing to consider is that (at least with my system) the air does not come in really cold but cool as there is really not a lot of time for the air to get cold in the heat exchanger. I've seen more recent models which have a much larger exchanger.

Its great for waiting on the grid and for a temp reduction whilst on track but clearly air volume is king. You can also use them with NACA ducts or without the chest cooler. One problem with the NACA setup IMHO is that you can end up getting a lot of dirt and stuff picked up from the track and shot into your system (install a grill !).

Hope this helps and feel free to ask or come by my trailer (or what's left of it after that freaky storm at Sebring ) to see my setup.

Cheers, juan
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Impact Racing (made by Bill Simpson) looks like they have a couple of air induction helmets as well.

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/tab.wws?id=helmets
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a regular G-force helmet that I actually had an aftermarket air vent put in and then added a cooler. Man! Nice. The cool air doesn't last long. The ice last a good while but the distance from cooler to helmet warms it up. I insulated that line and it did seem to help. If I can keep my face cool, I feel much cooler.
If I had it do do over again, I would do it! I do need the skirt, however.
I agree w/the top forced air helmet. I just think it's better to cool my face than the top of my hairy head.
I was going to replace my 2000 this year, but figure why not use it until I HAVE to replace it. I mean my wife won't have ANY trouble figuring another way to spend that money
Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I used a Bell Vortex TFA which is the top mount forced air in every car I get in. I don't use a cooler or heat exchanger to cool the air. I use ambient air sucked in from a NACA duct with a helmet blower from FAST. All of this adds very little weight to the car and it does an adequate job of keeping me cool. I have used this along with a water bottle in 104+ degree heat in Utah with little problems. Actually the combination is my preferred choice as both help to keep me feeling fresh throughout the race.

I prefer the top mount as the air get distributed across the top of my head and down across my face. I wear contacts so this helps to not dry my eyes out with my face shield closed. The side mounts caused my eyes to dry during a race. Bell now offers two versions of this helmet. You can get a Vortex TFA or the Infusion TFA. Both of these helmets are also offered in a side mount configuration also. As for hooking the helmet up to the hose there is no problem doing this. As long as the hose is within reach I can hook it up without looking.

I also know that Impact offers these in a top configuration too.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Thank Juan, I know the what you speek of with the duct. Its like a little velocity stack that compresses and expells all sorts of debris at an alarming rate.

Not looking for miracles just some circulation. Thanks for the info
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all. Love the board, ask and thy shall learn...........
Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
LAPS INC.
Advanced

Default Great source.

Check this website www.freshairsystems.com . They have different choices and build cooling systems as well. Ask for Jill she's always been great to deal with. BTW I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAPS INC.
I agree. That's who did mine. Sent my regular helmet off and got it back within a week. Had it for 2 years w/no issues.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 PM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Bell Infusion TFA that I got from Apex (RL sponsor) for a very nice price. I went with top connection because I have radio connections on the side of my helmet and "wings" on my seat, which may have been a PITA, and I felt it would be easier to cool my whole head from the top center.

Additionally, you need less loose hose flopping around if you connect to the top of your head given the connector being more central to the axes of rotation of your noggin. I think connecting is simplified by using the top location. I have the hose zip-tied and hanging from a nearby cage bar and can connect it by reaching blindly even after I harness up.

The Infusion is a fantastic helmet and, while the air is not frigid, as Juan points out, with the Cool Shirt system, it is cooler than ambient by a fair amount and feels great when others are baking in the false grid.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
billlynes
Instructor

Default colder air

the air does not come in really cold but cool as there is really not a lot of time for the air to get cold in the heat exchanger. I've seen more recent models which have a much larger exchanger.

I agree, my cool shirt system has a wimpy section of PVC pipe.

Who makes the upgraded cooler?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billlynes
I agree, my cool shirt system has a wimpy section of PVC pipe.

Who makes the upgraded cooler?

I have a FAST system that has a single straight section inside the cooler but have seen some with a U shaped (read twice the area) heat exchanger. I gather its for improved cooling.

I'll check at FAST's website to see. Yes, its awesome when you are on the grid and you just crank up the blower and the suit.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

From FAST's website. I was referring to the dual element

Fa 153 16 Quart Dual Element (Top)
Racer Net $284.00

Fa 151 8 Quart Daul Element
Racer Net $237.00

Fa-152 16 Quart Single Racer Net $219.00

Fact: Temperature of your head influences body temperature. Increase stamina and comfort by adding cooling to your helmet system. All coolers have aluminum extrusions, which absorb the heat of the incoming air. This is simply accomplished by adding ice and water, therefore no additional draw to your electrical system. We use Coleman Coolers "The Choice Of "NASCAR"

Don't know about the NASCAR reference but I won't hold it against them Excellent product in my experience except perhaps the electrical connections.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've considered one, but have two issues. I use an Issac and don't know how that works with a side mount. Second, being 6' 4'' I don't know if it will fit on the top. I have my aluminum seat as low as it will go with out lowering the factory seat mount sheetmetal.

A mount that was off center betwen the two would work. Anybody make those?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I use an Issac and don't know how that works with a side mount.
It works fine in most cases. Many side mounts are far forward and completely out of the way. Just locate the mounts after all the plumbing is hooked up.

Quick Reply: Forced Air Helmets