Sponsored by:

Towing your race car: BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:08 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
since so many of us haven't had the opportunity to live an experience like that, what caused it?
A guy in a mini-van driving 10 mph in the right lane of a 70 mph 5 lane undivided higway with no flashers combined with my inattention. I was checking the boat trailer in my mirrors and my wife suddenly said, "What are you doing?" I look up and I'm coming up on the mini-van at 70 mph vs. his 10 mph. The only thing I could do was to snap swerve into the left hand lane. I had to have missed him by inches. Then the tank slapper started. I got it under control and pulled over, I was terrified that I had run people off the road. The guy in the mini-van goes by (still at 10mph) and never even looks over at me. I still have no idea what he was doing. Total idiot. I look back and there's no cars in distress, everyone went on their way. My boat was slightly misaligned on the trailer and the outboard motor safety bracket had broken loose with all the sideways force. I still am amazed that I didn't roll, lose the trailer, lose the boat off the trailer, etc... Other than that, only two pairs of shorts severely damaged.

After that happening to my Chevy Z71 pickup, I'm convinced if something like that happens in these short wheel base SUV passenger vehicles, you are screwed. That boat and trailer rig weighs a lot less than a towed track car in a 24ft covered trailer. People tend to just think of straight line towing power and stopping. You need to think about what happens should an emergency maneuver be necessary. I now tow with a 3/4 ton Crew cab HD.

During the whole episode which seemed to last for hours, I kept thinking, "Are you supposed to steer into the skid while towing just like you normally would?" Apparently, so.

Last edited by deep_uv; 09-25-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Sounds just like your track driving to me...
Yeah, but you're the mini-van.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
....It appears to me, at least, that proper setup is the key rather than admonishing towing with a unibody X5.
Never ask a question to which you already know the answer, or at least what you want to hear as the answer.

BTW, it is usually mentioned that a vehicle equipped with active (air) rear suspension control should NOT use a load leveling hitch.

As has been mentioned before, towing is rather straightforward....right up until the moment that something goes wrong (emergency lane change, blown tyre, etc).....then you wish you had a proper towing setup, rather than a marginal one.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
People tend to just think of straight line towing power and stopping. You need to think about what happens should an emergency maneuver be necessary.
BINGO! Any thing can tow just about anything under optimum conditions. But when the conditions get dicey... That photo of the X5 with that giant silver twinkie behind it would scare the crap out of me if I were next to him on the highway on a windy day...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[
BTW, it is usually mentioned that a vehicle equipped with active (air) rear suspension control should NOT use a load leveling hitch.

[/QUOTE]

Ok going of topic here, but why is this. My Nissan Aramada came stock with air suspension. The owners manual specifically states to use a Load distributing hitch.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
frayed
Race Car

Probably just stick with an open trailer. Any issues that you guys can think of storing the trailer and car in a secured boat/RV storage area, with a car cover on (besides possible vandalism)?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towed my 23" Cobalt boat with a 2002 BMW 4.6 is. The towing part was fine, even over the Sierra mountain passes, but I was really glad that I had the extended warranty when the transmission died. The transmission replacement (they don't repair them) was $6,000 +, covered by warranty.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned previously, I would consider an enclosed Trailex (small, light, within the limits of an X5) before an open trailer (especially if you're talking steel)....for security and stability.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

and go to jail where he belongs, what an idiot!

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I'm glad I don't live in Houston Texas. That guy is going to kill someone.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I'm glad I don't live in Houston Texas. That guy is going to kill someone.
As soon as he gets passed by a tandem semi going 90 MPH on a windy day.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 216 Posts

He's now done 28,000 miles.

It appears to me, at least, that proper setup is the key rather than admonishing towing with a unibody X5.
Following this logic, if I've never had an accident on the track do I really need a roll cage? I could argue I am properly set-up without one if I never had an incident.

This guy's set-up violates the manufacturer's specs for total weight and tongue weight, and goes against general towing guidelines for wheelbase versus trailer length. (Here are some good guidelines: http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm).

The point of these specs is not to protect you under normal towing conditions, its to save your @ss when things go bad. Just like a roll cage, you hope you never use it but you sure are glad you have one when an accident happens.

One big difference however. A roll cage only protects the driver. If you don't use one you only injure yourself. A properly set-up tow protects everyone else on the road as well. I don't care if a guy has no cage, but it seems pretty selfish and irresponsible to knowingly exceed manufacturer's specs and common sense when towing. (And by the way, the spes assume you are using a weight distributing hitch and are properly set-up. There are no special set-ups that magically increase your safe towing capacity.)

If this guy injures or kills someone in an accident he'll be found negligent for towing with that set-up. He'll end up bankrupt, in jail, and carry the guilt for the rest of his life. You can get a proper tow vehicle for less than $10K. Or rent one when needed. Why take this risk?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I towed my 23" Cobalt boat with a 2002 BMW 4.6 is. The towing part was fine, even over the Sierra mountain passes, but I was really glad that I had the extended warranty when the transmission died. The transmission replacement (they don't repair them) was $6,000 +, covered by warranty.
I'm surprised towing a 23" boat caused transmission damage!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I knew it wouldn't be long before you asked this on here. Too bad both DS and I lurk here ;-)
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 AM
frayed
Race Car

Seth, fortunately DLS is a porsche owner wannabe and has no stroke here. LOL.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Seth, fortunately DLS is a porsche owner wannabe and has no stroke here. LOL.
LOL that is true. He wouldn't know how to drive a Pcar around the track.

Quick Reply: Towing your race car: BMW X5