Sponsored by:

Oil and Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007 | 06:16 PM
normank
Racer

Default Oil and Brake Fluid

Just completed my 4th DE event:
How many miles and/or track events between oil changes?
Same question for brake fluid?
I know it's 0-40W Mobil 1.
Is there a difference between the high end brake fluids, i.e. Castrol SRF, ATE Super Blue, Motul RBF 600?
All guidance appreciated.
Old 09-21-2007 | 06:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I change my oil after every DE "season" or better yet, before the spring season starts and before the fall season starts (during the end of summer lull).

As for brake fluid, I will ONLY use SRF. I bleed once a season like my oil and flush once a year. If you use ANYTHING else, you need to bleed for EVERY event.
Old 09-21-2007 | 06:47 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
I change my oil after every DE "season" or better yet, before the spring season starts and before the fall season starts (during the end of summer lull).

As for brake fluid, I will ONLY use SRF. I bleed once a season like my oil and flush once a year. If you use ANYTHING else, you need to bleed for EVERY event.
Can you tell me why you will ONLY use SRF? I'm just getting into this and need all the help I can get. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007 | 07:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

For the reasons stated in my first post. Further, the boiling point that NO OTHER fluid can come close to makes it the most resilient fluid on the track for those of us that really use the brakes. The last thing you want is a "soft" brake pedal trying to break from 150mph going into a downhill chicane

The "lesser" fluids will put you in that spot (more ATE than Motul). Alot of the guys on the board also use Motul as it is a great fluid as well but it just requires much more bleeding than SRF. I'd rather be hanging with the fellas in the paddock than worrying about my brake bleeds over the weekend.

SRF is about $70/L
Motul is about $30/L

But the price delta gets much closer when you factor in the needed bleeds with Motul.
Old 09-21-2007 | 07:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Scan back through this forum a bit and you'll find a huge amount of information that explains why we use products like SRF. Dry vs. Wet boiling point -- you can use OEM fluid, but then you'd need to change it often as when it gets "wet" it's boiling point drops dramatically. SRF on the other hand holds on -- so like many others, I only do SRF in the early spring and don't touch it all year (where with my M3 I had to change the brake fluid 3-4 times a year).

One oil change a year too -- synthetic is fantastic stuff. I probably put 30 hours of track time on my car and my oil was fresh from a week before the 1st DE this year (changed it right after break in). I'll change it every fall after the last DE and right before I store the car for the winter. Miles this year look to be about 7500 to 8000 -- so in effect I'll be about 7500 miles between oil changes with 50% of my use on the track.
Old 09-22-2007 | 06:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by normank
Just completed my 4th DE event:
How many miles and/or track events between oil changes?
Same question for brake fluid?
I know it's 0-40W Mobil 1.
Is there a difference between the high end brake fluids, i.e. Castrol SRF, ATE Super Blue, Motul RBF 600?
All guidance appreciated.
May as well hear from the other end of the spectrum. I change/flush my brake fluid after each event ( usually a weekend with a total of about 5 hours of track time and usually 95+ degrees)
I also change the oil and filter after two events and tranny fluid after three events.
I agree with the SRF but since I change more frequently I use the motul and have no trouble with it.
The correct answer to the oil changing really is to have an oil analysis done and go by that.
Good luck with the DE's!!
tom

Quick Reply: Oil and Brake Fluid