Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody try BHP pads for street/occasional track use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anybody try BHP pads for street/occasional track use?

I've done a search, but turned up nothing on experiences here with BHP (Brake Horsepower) brake pads.
Their claims are interesting, and I've not found any pads in my past that are good enough on track and decent on the street.
I see that there are definitely advocates on the board for Pagid, PFC, and Hawk. Maybe I should resign myself to switching out for track pads when tracking on weekends and go back to the OEM for street.
Anybody have experience with BHP?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Schustermeister-

Our local president runs them in his 987S boxster. Very fast and keeps very good records. If you want I could probably get comments from him about them or give you his email address. I bought a set for my 987S boxster but since I bought the track car I haven't had to use them yet.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Schustermeister-

Our local president runs them in his 987S boxster. Very fast and keeps very good records. If you want I could probably get comments from him about them or give you his email address. I bought a set for my 987S boxster but since I bought the track car I haven't had to use them yet.
Sounds great Mussberger - thank you! I'd like to have faith that's there some truth in advertising; however, I'm pretty skeptical that by magic, some company has truly found a good compromise.
I guess I could just go slower, so I don't eat up too much brake... nah.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the BHP's on my 996. They where ok, but nothing to write home about. Wore out pretty quickly with track use. I now use Hawk pads and switch back and forth for track use.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also used BHP pads on my 997S. They lasted exactly three track days. Since then, I've used both Pagid Blacks RS14 and Yellows RS19s, both of which have lasted much longer than that.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I also used BHP pads on my 997S. They lasted exactly three track days. Since then, I've used both Pagid Blacks RS14 and Yellows RS19s, both of which have lasted much longer than that.
Thanks for the replies, guys - how aggressive were the Pagids on rotors? The black/yellows are full race pads, correct?
I'll do a search to check for feedback on the Pagids and the Hawks. Also looking to see if there's problems with discoloration of wheels or paint with the pads - many of the race pads I've used were aggressive on paint when wet. But I had dedicated track wheels then and it didn't matter...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
getfast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shustermeister
Anybody have experience with BHP?
Just saw this thread. BHP's track pads were developed by the former manager of Carbotech. We got ~120 laps around Summit Point and ~200 street miles from a set of the CR1's (the dual duty pads) on the front of a mostly stock E30 BMW 325i driven by several people at a HPDE. No complaints! Pedal feel was good, stopping power was good, and the only time we got any fade was after back-to-back sessions. I would buy another set in a heartbeat...

Hope it helps,

Jon

Quick Reply: Anybody try BHP pads for street/occasional track use?