Sponsored by:

Title for NC tire trailer, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Title for NC tire trailer, help

Have just purchased an out of state tire trailer and am trying to sort out the NC requirements. Any NC residents with some advice & answers on how to do this quickly?

It was titled, registered, etc in Md and the previous owner has a bill of sale & title for me. I checked the NC DOT website which states that registering a trailer is the same as a car and requires the same form. Ok, but that form indicates that I need liability insurance for whatever vehicle/thing is being registered. Is that accurate? If I have the title & bill of sale in hand, can I walk into the dmv & out with a tag? Am trying to get this turned around by next weekend for a trip to Vir.

thanks for any help,
K
Old 09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

In NY, your car liability insurance covers the trailer for liability only automatically and without additional cost. My agent provided me with the usual proof of insurance card listing the trailer info as an insured vehicle, and the DMV was happy. Perhaps there's a similar procedure?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a trailer (and am in NC, too) - and I had no problems. I don't think they asked about insurance (if they did, I just gave them my policy number that my truck is on). The only thing you have to decide: buy a regular title or buy the new multi-year one (it costs more - but never expires).

Quick Reply: Title for NC tire trailer, help