Sponsored by:

race seat selection headache

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:45 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default race seat selection headache

I've spent hours searching the net and reading posts to find the right seat, but I'm not making progress. It seems like a simple problem, but its not that easy. So here's my criteria:

FIA homologated
HANS compatible
6-point harness capable

The application is an 86 944T track car that I would like to PCA club race. I am 6'1" @180 lbs. The sport seat in my Cayman S seems to work well for me. Price is not really an issue, but carbon fiber seems excessive.

The Sparco Circuit Seat meets my FIA and HANS requirement, but I can't figure out if it is 6-point compatible. It has integrated head protection, which sounds pretty good, but I've read that it can be difficult for getting in and out of the car. Is that a safety problem?

The Sabelt Taurus seems to meet all three requirements, but it also has the integrated head protection, which I am on the fence about.

If I had to buy today, I would probably go with the Sabelt Taurus. Should I worry about the integrated head protection? Is there another seat that meets my criteria that I should look at?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to get the Sabelt Taurus because it's nearly identical to the Recaro Pro Race (I think that's what it is called) and I want side head protection. I worry about it, so should you - take every precaution so that no matter what happens, you know you are walking away.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:25 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Seats are like helmets. Buying one without trying it out is not the way to go. Just went through this, ended up with Recaro Profi SPG XL. One of the things you want to consider is the height of the backrest. At 6'1" you will need the height to have the passthroughs for the harness high enough with respect to your shoulders.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

^What he said. Sit in as many see as you can, and pay attention to the shoulder harness hole height relative you your shoulders. I sat is probably 20 seats before I chose.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:29 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed, you can't really buy a seat without first trying it on for size and fit.

Where are you located?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:59 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Agreed, you can't really buy a seat without first trying it on for size and fit.

Where are you located?
I'm in Austin, and there is no retail outlet to try anything out. I even had to buy my helmet off the net sight unseen. I don't know of any places in Dallas or Houston (6+ hour round trip drive), but that might be an option. My best bet is probably the TWS DE this weekend where I might be able to sit in a few.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Along with pass through height, halo height is important. You need to be able to see over the halo, but just. The top surface of the halo should be at the height of the tip of you nose, for best vision AND head retention. I'd guess at 6'1" that seat might work, but that's a guess.

Choosing is tough? Wait till you try and mount it!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YZ250
I'm in Austin, and there is no retail outlet to try anything out. I even had to buy my helmet off the net sight unseen. I don't know of any places in Dallas or Houston (6+ hour round trip drive), but that might be an option. My best bet is probably the TWS DE this weekend where I might be able to sit in a few.
Save up your Southwest Airline frequent flyer trips, or wait for an internet special, and go sit in some seats. It will be the best money you spend on your car, for all the reasons posted above.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I echo what was said on fitment. I have the Taurus XL in my 944 and I really like the fit (I'm 6'3) The head protection is not at all intrusive. Take your helmet with you to the track and see if you can sit in one. You might also consider that it looks like the sanctioning bodies are all going to mandate the head protection eventually. Gook luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Along with pass through height, halo height is important. You need to be able to see over the halo, but just. The top surface of the halo should be at the height of the tip of you nose, for best vision AND head retention. I'd guess at 6'1" that seat might work, but that's a guess.

Choosing is tough? Wait till you try and mount it!
Try the ultrashield road race superseat. It is custom made to your body specs. but add 1" to your real shoulder height for the HANS. It comes with two holes cut at angle for the 6pt harness and a center hole for the 7th if so inclined, your choice of layback etc... It comes without being drilled for mounting so you can mount anyway you want, bottom, side or variation. Regarding layback we have had that discussion on rennlist before and 20 degrees seems about the best compromise and aids in mounting your seat.

John, I have never thought about the halo height good point. With HANS restriction and side nets and tight harness and narrow periferal vision from the helmet, I can't move but a few degrees of head turn so I rely on mirroros only since there is no way I could turn and move enough to see a blind spot. I'm not sure if I can see over my halo at all. Asumming you or your belts stretch 12" in a frontal crash won't your head also want to cruise over the halo top in a lateral hit if the halo is at nose level? It is a very small stretch to chin level and then the halo protection is gone?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The next time your at a trackday, ask to sit in some seats. You'll find a good selection, I'd think. The race shops at MSR/Cresson have seats on the showroom floor, although maybe only 3 or 4.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

buying race seat is PIA. you want one that fits tight without crushing your *****, i mean it.
i have bought no fewer than 10 seats over 4 years. only recently did i find a seat that fits like it's custom made for my body shape.

beside size of seat, make sure the relationship of your shoulder to the shoulder strap hole is correct. on 95% of the seats i tried, my shoulder is higher than the shoulder strap holes!!!, my torso is way longer than my short legs. so take some serious time and try them out.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YZ250
My best bet is probably the TWS DE this weekend where I might be able to sit in a few.
Ding ding ding.

Quick Reply: race seat selection headache