Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do wider tires/ on wider wheels increase contact patch, all else the same (pressure e
Yes
74.24%
No
25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Does added tire width actually increase contact patch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
but remember to get the truck under the low bridge, we let the air out of the tyres....
...which allows the sidewalls to deform more, which allows them to bend more, which allows the horizontal centerline of the tire to drop.

If you measure the air pressure in your now-deflated tires when the load from the vehicle is applied, is it any different from that when the vehicle weight is removed ? No.

Red herring.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
...which allows the sidewalls to deform more, which allows them to bend more, which allows the horizontal centerline of the tire to drop.

If you measure the air pressure in your now-deflated tires when the load from the vehicle is applied, is it any different from that when the vehicle weight is removed ? No.

Red herring.
I can't understand why you are telling me this

cherry picking what people say, out of context, and then quoting it back to them along with your own opinion hardly advances the sum total of knowlege.

my point is that how much the tyre is inflated can alter the shape of the contact patch.

Imagine a balloon half inflated, resting on a level surface, the contact patch is tiny. Now rest a weight on the balloon and the contact patch increases in size. Finally, increase the amount of air in the balloon and the contact patch will become smaller.

R+C
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
ALL other things being equal
They rarely are when comparing 2 different tires

What do you mean, both tires are AVO F3000,

there are two questions posed here, are you talking about same width wheel, different size tires, or wider wheel and tire?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

cherry picking what people say, out of context, and then quoting it back to them along with your own opinion hardly advances the sum total of knowlege.
I'm curious as to how you arrived at the conclusion that my response was cherry picking ? I quoted your entire post.

If you were referring to my initial reference to one item in the first "wanna911" post, then I still don't understand your point. If we're going to consider a 'real' tire, then #2 on his 'keep this in mind' list needs to be refuted. You won't get a proper analysis of the mechanical system know as 'tire' if one of your basic assumptions ("keep this in mind" sure does sound like a list of basic premises) is faulty.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL other things being equal the area of the contact patch is the same.

The shape is different.

The wider tire has a shorter but wider contact patch. This is desireable for a performance car because it runs at a lower slip angle than the longer narrower patch of the narrower tire.

The lower slip angles allows the tire to generate more cornering force and run cooler.

In addition the slip angle vs lateral force curve is non linear and varies according to the shape and construction of a tire. The wider tire has a curve that is more favorable for generating lateral forces.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I was actually just reading about this in Carroll Smith's "Drive To Win" last night... fabulous book...
Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

if one of your basic assumptions ("keep this in mind" sure does sound like a list of basic premises) is faulty.
My point is that the amount of air in the tyre changes some of the physical characteristics of the tyre - with the tyre filled only to a very low pressure the contact patch is larger than it is at very high pressures.

Generally speaking, people who race cars prefer tyres which are as wide as allowed by the regulations and the limitations of their suspension system.

Having done this, efforts are devoted to finf´ding the best suspension set up in terms of camber, toe, ARB, spring and shock settings and tyre pressure, hot and cold.

My understanding is that the science behind what works and what doesn't work in tyre design is still imperfectly understood. Everytime I look at a race team budget I have to sit down before I look at the line called tyre testing.

Faux de mieux, design of GT cars is pretty damn simple, we make them as wide as possible with a long wheelbase, big overhangs and the widest tyres allowed. The Maserati is a good example. We then stick on the biggest wing allowed, twist the rules about the underbody and borrow a fork lift truck if any 'remodelling' is required.

At the same time it is most important to get on the most favoured customer list with the tyre supplier, remember X may supply 10 teams but only 3 will have the best tyres.

Most favoured status with the tyre supplier is really important, right up there with getting rid of drivers who crash the car and sponsors who don't pay.

I think that it is pointless getting theoretical about tyres when an empirical approach is adopted by the experts.

R+C
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

OK let's say you have a plane on a conveyor belt...
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimculp
OK let's say you have a plane on a conveyor belt...
as long as its the right conveyor belt

R+C
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

I think that it is pointless getting theoretical about tyres when an empirical approach is adopted by the experts.
On this we totally agree. My initial post in this thread was intended to make this point, but may have been somewhat clumsy.

Re: tire widths - I'll differ with you just a bit - 'as wide as possible' isn't always best. Low horsepower cars will struggle if they carry too much tire. Inability to get tires up to design temperature, excessive rolling resistance, etc. can conspire to raise lap times as tires get wider. Lack of access to tire manufacturers inner workings means that most of us have to 'run whatever's on the tire truck', and that means that we'll get compounds and constructions that aren't always ideal.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Low horsepower cars will struggle if they carry too much tire. .

I was forgetting about those, I haven't had to buy 'classic' racing tyres for some years lol

R+C
Old 09-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ALL other things being equal the area of the contact patch is the same.

The shape is different.

The wider tire has a shorter but wider contact patch. This is desireable for a performance car because it runs at a lower slip angle than the longer narrower patch of the narrower tire.
Originally Posted by weneversleep
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I was actually just reading about this in Carroll Smith's "Drive To Win" last night... fabulous book...
I agree, which is why I said the same in post #8, just not as well and completely as Bill. Again, the key is "all other things being equal".
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bull
I agree, which is why I said the same in post #8, just not as well and completely as Bill. Again, the key is "all other things being equal".
So who can explain why, when done by a tire manufacturer, the contact patch was significantly bigger on a wider tire and rim?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
So who can explain why, when done by a tire manufacturer, the contact patch was significantly bigger on a wider tire and rim?
The short answer is that they don't keep "all other things equal".
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bull
The short answer is that they don't keep "all other things equal".

Like what? The test clearly shows that the wheel diameter, tire type, Inflation PSI, and weight applied are the same. It was done to show this exact thing, so why would it be different, tire company had nothing to prove.

I think there are more factors with complex tire designs to be determined by a simple equation.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

perhaps it might be that as a tire's size increases, the way the tire deforms (to make the contact patch) is not linear.

Quick Reply: Does added tire width actually increase contact patch?