Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions for anyone running the cross/JIC coilover suspenison

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007 | 11:53 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Default questions for anyone running the cross/JIC coilover suspenison

on the 996, the standard spring rates it comes with are 7k/10k front/rear. i was wondering if anyone has replaced those with higher/lower spring rates and what affect that has had. thanks. i'm considering going to a higher spring rate as my car is track only now, and i have no need for a softer spring for any street comfort.
Old 09-07-2007 | 12:08 PM
smankow
Pro

I went with the standard spring rate (7/10) due to still using my car on the street. With necessary adjustments, it is very compliable for the street. I think that adjusting for Summit Point was more difficult.

But to answer your question, if my car was track-only, I'd have gone with the higher rates. I certainly wouldn't go softer.
Old 09-07-2007 | 12:11 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i am pretty satisfied with the 7/10 setup. i'd like to switch out for stiffer springs for next year since i gave up all hope of having a dual purpose car. i have no idea how you street your car cause mine is bumpy as hell on the street. i assume you set the dials all the way soft?

sidebar - what other suspension components should i (if at all) consider if i go higher spring rates?
Old 09-07-2007 | 12:29 PM
smankow
Pro

the car is bumpy on the street, but it's not too bad. I think that I'm about 6/7 on the compression. After my next evet, I have some time off, so I'll play around some more with the settings.

as for other components, you may look to upgrade sway bars, replace the rubber bushings and maybe change out the motor mounts.
Old 09-07-2007 | 01:04 PM
kgorman
Drifting

I am running the stock spring rates 7/10 on my 964. I run about 5 clicks off full hard on the rear and about 7 clicks on the front. I am very pleased with this setup. I have not really considered increasing the spring rate at this point. Track only car essentially.
Old 09-07-2007 | 01:04 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Originally Posted by penguinking
on the 996, the standard spring rates it comes with are 7k/10k front/rear. i was wondering if anyone has replaced those with higher/lower spring rates and what affect that has had. thanks. i'm considering going to a higher spring rate as my car is track only now, and i have no need for a softer spring for any street comfort.
I have a 2002 996 with JIC Cross and the hardest springs, which I think are 10/14 and GT3 sway bars. It is bearable on the street with the shocks set full soft, and not too low. I previously had Bilstein 1999 Cup car shocks and 350/600 lb/in springs which were not hard enough at the rear for the limited shock travel. It was nasty on the street due to the harder rear non-adjustable shocks. I even had a set of 17" tires to drive to the track on because it was so rough. So with the JIC, the adjustable shocks allow the use of harder springs without too much discomfort.

The trouble now is that on the track there is so much grip available that the inside rear tire is being unloaded enough to allow wheelspin in 2nd.

Anyway I'd suggest you go for the hardest, and see how it goes on the street. If you don't like it, then put the hard front springs on the rear, buy a pair of the soft front springs and put them on the front. Then you'll have the JIC soft setup for the pretty low cost of a pair of springs.

Michael
Old 09-07-2007 | 07:58 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

I have 8/12 kg springs on my 993 C4S, TRG bars, shocks set 5 clicks from full hard. Pretty much all track use, but streetable when I need to. If I softened the shocks a few clicks, the street ride would be pretty civilized. Since I use the car more for track, I wish I had gone to the stiffist 10/14 springs, and still toy with the idea.
Old 09-07-2007 | 08:16 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

also with 8/12, Tarett drop links, GT3 swaybars. -1.6 and -2.1 camber. 4 corner balabce. Set at 9 rear and 6 front for street, playing around with track settings. I have also wondered if I shoul not have gone with 10/14.
Old 09-08-2007 | 12:36 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=mpaton;4552624]I have a 2002 996 with JIC Cross and the hardest springs, which I think are 10/14 and GT3 sway bars. It is bearable on the street with the shocks set full soft, and not too low. I previously had Bilstein 1999 Cup car shocks and 350/600 lb/in springs which were not hard enough at the rear for the limited shock travel. It was nasty on the street due to the harder rear non-adjustable shocks. I even had a set of 17" tires to drive to the track on because it was so rough. So with the JIC, the adjustable shocks allow the use of harder springs without too much discomfort.

The trouble now is that on the track there is so much grip available that the inside rear tire is being unloaded enough to allow wheelspin in 2nd.

Anyway I'd suggest you go for the hardest, and see how it goes on the street. If you don't like it, then put the hard front springs on the rear, buy a pair of the soft front springs and put them on the front. Then you'll have the JIC soft setup for the pretty low cost of a pair of springs.

Michael[/QUOT

+1 I have the same set up and love it!!. It is fine on the street and awesome on the track.

Quick Reply: questions for anyone running the cross/JIC coilover suspenison