Sponsored by:

F to E "preparred" class question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F to E "preparred" class question

I am kicking around the idea of taking my 86 951 F/SP3 class car and preparring it to E class PCA. My question is, can I update the k26/6 to a k26/8 turbo, along with the other updates? Would this mod fall under the "update/backdate converson", basically "converting the car to a 89 turbo S?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjensen
I am kicking around the idea of taking my 86 951 F/SP3 class car and preparring it to E class PCA. My question is, can I update the k26/6 to a k26/8 turbo, along with the other updates? Would this mod fall under the "update/backdate converson", basically "converting the car to a 89 turbo S?

Will not work for F>E. You must update all parts to be equivalent to Turbo S. Your '86 does not have anti-lock brakes, or MO30 brakes, also need '87 and newer hubs and spindles. You would also need a stock DME/KLR from a Turbo S to go with the Turbo S turbo. Good luck finding that.

For SP3, the rule used to be update to any part of a Turbo S and you would be classified as a turbo S and have to run at that weight 3250# I think.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, That is what I thought the clarification would be. Yes, SP3 can "update" any one or all parts to become a S @ 3250#. Is the preparred mods favorable to a 86 951 in E class. I currently run SP3 and have been kicking around a few options for next year, I need to do a complete overhaul(spun rod bearing #2) this fall/winter...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjensen
Is the preparred mods favorable to a 86 951 in E class.
I'm not sure. I weighed this option myself. After talking with Russel at 951 MAX, he wasn't sure that he could produce significantly more HP with just a DME chip. This is what the biggest hurdle would be. You could upgrade brakes, improve airflow and cooling, and get more tire, but even with the S2 R&P you might be short on HP.

The Non-S Turbo needs a 50 lb weight cut for SP3. That would make the car competitive. IMO

Quick Reply: F to E "preparred" class question