Sponsored by:

Weight reduction in a 964 - 2100 lb target

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My current cage is cheap and heavy (it came with the car). I"ll only pay to have it replaced, not modified. I'm trying to gather data to make my plan and decide if I'm putting the car on a diet this winter or next. I don't want to do it unless I'm relatively certain I'll meet the goal.

Ya, if I ever do the 25 hours, I'll need to ensure I have wipers. December can get rain, but otherwise we so zero rain in the normal track season of April to October.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom what do you mean by your doors are gutted? I ask because mine have everything REMOVED except for the latch. I have not cut out the inner sheet metal or collision "bar". As mine sit they are 38 pounds each. If yours are in the same condition, add another 3 pounds or so for the mirrors and you're at 41 each or 82 pounds total. Full race doors without window provisions are 10 pounds each or 20 pounds total. Easy 60 pounds net on these if, again, they're in the same condition as mine.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chance,

Thanks for the info. You are correct that by gutted I mean everything removed but the latch and a pull strap, with the steel left intact. The trim for the window and the front little triangular window are also removed with a thin piece of aluminum covering the resultant gap at the top of the door. I'm surprised at the weight, but happy - it means there is a greater likelihood of meeting the weight target if/when I do the changes.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

No offense to those here on Rennlist Tom, but I think you have all of the reference info locally to figure out what to do. There are several 993-bodied cars (including mine) in the PRC. A bunch of them have been built by the same person and you know who he is. They all weigh between 1850 and 1950. My car weighs between 1900 and 1950. What I would suggest is just take a pad and pen and walk around the paddock and study our cars and ask questions. What weighs what. You are very intelligent so it won't be that hard to figure out the things that make the biggest difference.

The GTL class promises to see some growth with Skip coming in and possibly Mat Lowrence and Bob Stefanowicz. Your car needs to lose weight.

Regarding your cage, I suggest you study mine and Mat's, and then have Tony Coliccio build you a cage. I'd cut off the roof and go with FRP. It is high weight. Also a drop in rear window. Also cut out the back seats. And lose those doors. FRP doors from Getty are great,, the door skins are even lighter. Check out the mirrors on our cars. Cannot get much lighter. All of th einfo will be in teh paddock at th enext PRC event. DOn't be shy!

- Mike
Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

By the way, never forget: "it all adds up."

I saw that Mat removed the b-pillers from his car. It all adds up.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Mike/Tom, are you going to the Infineon race?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chance: I am. I also saw a different post from Mike that he and his lovely wife would be there and driving.

Mike: You know me, I'm not shy. Most of you others have started with an early 911 tub and not a 964, which weighs more to start. I'm just collecting data from all available sources to formulate the plan.

Skip's car may get done in time for Porches at the Point in October. Peter Venturini's car may be ready by then. Warren will be there too. We could have 5 GT-L cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I am officially accepting donations to help make it 6 in '08

Quick Reply: Weight reduction in a 964 - 2100 lb target