Sponsored by:

2008 PCA Rules Clarifications and Comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2008 PCA Rules Clarifications and Comments

2008 rules proposals, other than the GT class change proposals, are up for comment through Sept 30. The GT Class change proposals will be posted on September 7th.

2008 Rules Clarifications & 2008 Rules for Comment have been posted on http://www.pca.org/clubrace/

Please email comments to CRRules@pca.org. The comment period will close on Oct. 1 2007.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT Class rule proposal number 5:
5. Allow tube frame cars with Porsche drivetrains and Porsche body styles to run in GTP classes if the frame structure has been inspected and approved by another qualified road racing sanctioning body.

Does this mean a Porsche powered Daytona Prototype could run in PCA events?

Stock Rule Proposals:
5. Allow removal of the heater blower from air-cooled cars. Plates or ducts to close the openings for the heater flex ducts would be allowed.
I think this is good for keeping fire out of the cockpit. (plus I got flagged on it last year for already having it done....)

6. Allow any limited slip differential in stock class; however no locked differentials will be permitted.
Great idea as well.

16. Stock Rule 3. A.: Delete “No ‘autocross spec’ tires are allowed.” Tires still must have DOT approval and appropriate speed rating.
Does this mean we can now have a super sticky autocross qualifying tire good for two laps? Tire budget just went up.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think Prototypes have a Porsche Body style. I am assuming that they are refering to a tubeframes with Porsche 911 (or otherP models) fiberglass bodies.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
GT Class rule proposal number 5:

6. Allow any limited slip differential in stock class; however no locked differentials will be permitted.
am i reading this right to say that LSD's would be permitted even if there were no such factory option?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by insite
am i reading this right to say that LSD's would be permitted even if there were no such factory option?

I think that is what is says.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Originally Posted by insite

sometimes just easier to allow than to police it
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m surprised there aren’t more comments already…..

Here are some thoughts, I don’t race yet, but have been looking at the rules. I plan on it sometime in the next year or two and have been planning my upgrades, or lack thereof to stock specification. I have been looking so see what the big A-D overhaul would look like and for the most part I think it looks great. Even if I don’t race I like to keep my car close to specification so I can see how I compare lap time wise.

So, all IMO from a soon (or not so soon) racer:

A-D reclassification to 1-6 I like a lot. I still have issues w/ a 964 US Cup/RS in the same class as a 2,760 RSA, but like everything else. I’m not an authority on the US Cup and the RS, but both have the M64/03 and is actually rated at 260 hp (hand selected parts + chip), not 247….and the weight was (and should be able to run at w/o driver) closer to 2630 (or 2684?)….not to mention the better gearing (a prepared mod for the RSA), better brakes (same), seam welding, etc. That would put the hp/weight to around 10.1, right in the new class 5, where it should be. http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9944/default.aspx (I realize that link is not an authority on the RS, but I have read those similar specs elsewhere, like http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/confusion.htm ). I also agree w/ the Cayman S and 3.3 Turbo going to 5. I think a US Cup/RS should be in the same class as a prepared 2,760 RSA….which would be the new class 5. I think the rest of class 6 looks good btw.

I don’t think you should be able to run autocross tires. Some of the Corvette guys run A6s for qualifying….$$$$$. Although I think the 710 is an autocross tire…?

I think they should allow custom gears for prepared instead of just a R&P. My guess is some do already. Should 5 speeds be allowed to get 6 speeds?

I think full cages and a H&N requirement is good.

I also strongly agree with being able to 86 the headliner for better cage fitment.

I agree with being able to remove the heater blower….as well as the loose carpet (trunk).

That’s about it, I think they look really good. I would like to see camber plates (non-pinned) moved into stock class, but that probably won’t happen. You can change your exhaust and put on triple adjustable remote reservoir shocks, but can’t dial in more camber? I guess they need to draw the line somewhere, but would like to see that changed, if only for tire wear. How many cars in stock are running 1.25(ish) degrees of camber up front anyway? Maybe they could waive it for race cars that are driven to the track (just kidding).

Also a question about GTC 1. I understand about being able to run non-OEM springs and shocks, what about bushings? Can one purchase the same OEM bushings that came on Euro Cups? Just curious.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Where on the club racing site are the proposed changes. I can't find them.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Where on the club racing site are the proposed changes. I can't find them.
Hit refresh on your browser, same thing happened to me.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That did it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see numerous cars that have window nets attached to the door and not to the roll cage. Mine works perfectly on the door. I'm not sure why they would make this change?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the rationale in proposing to allow the removal of the heater blower in air-cooled cars only. Can someone fill me in?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

A quick comment on making comments on the rules proposals.

Although this forum is a wonderful way to interact with other fans of the marque, comments posted here aren't going to the club racing rules committee.

Rather, comments should be sent by email to: crrules@pca.org

Also, remember that all the proposed rules don't necessarily make the final cut. In fact, many of the proposals are just that, proposals received from racers which the committee wants to present for comment by other racers but are unlikely to be passed.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at TRAC this weekend.

Bruce
Old 08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by forklift
A-D reclassification to 1-6 I like a lot. I still have issues w/ a 964 US Cup/RS in the same class as a 2,760 RSA, but like everything else. I’m not an authority on the US Cup and the RS, but both have the M64/03 and is actually rated at 260 hp (hand selected parts + chip), not 247….and the weight was (and should be able to run at w/o driver) closer to 2630 (or 2684?)….not to mention the better gearing (a prepared mod for the RSA), better brakes (same), seam welding, etc. That would put the hp/weight to around 10.1, right in the new class 5, where it should be.
Interesting they put the 3.3 liter 930's through 92 and the Cayman S into the #5class, but left out the biggest ringer of them all ---- the 944TC !! Somewhat surprised the 964 RS and US Cups didn't end up there either I guess. That should be a fun class...D and a half, or C minus. Really the 944 TC belongs in #4. Don't worry forklift, you can still be competitive with those cars, just a bit more challenge and you'll be a better driver for doing it in a RSA. Heck, Savenor used to beat the US Cups driving a C2 at 3000 lbs. in E class.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
I’m surprised there aren’t more comments already…..

Here are some thoughts, I don’t race yet, but have been looking at the rules. I plan on it sometime in the next year or two and have been planning my upgrades, or lack thereof to stock specification. I have been looking so see what the big A-D overhaul would look like and for the most part I think it looks great. Even if I don’t race I like to keep my car close to specification so I can see how I compare lap time wise.

So, all IMO from a soon (or not so soon) racer:

A-D reclassification to 1-6 I like a lot. I still have issues w/ a 964 US Cup/RS in the same class as a 2,760 RSA, but like everything else. I’m not an authority on the US Cup and the RS, but both have the M64/03 and is actually rated at 260 hp (hand selected parts + chip), not 247….and the weight was (and should be able to run at w/o driver) closer to 2630 (or 2684?)….not to mention the better gearing (a prepared mod for the RSA), better brakes (same), seam welding, etc. That would put the hp/weight to around 10.1, right in the new class 5, where it should be. http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9944/default.aspx (I realize that link is not an authority on the RS, but I have read those similar specs elsewhere, like http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/confusion.htm ). I also agree w/ the Cayman S and 3.3 Turbo going to 5. I think a US Cup/RS should be in the same class as a prepared 2,760 RSA….which would be the new class 5. I think the rest of class 6 looks good btw.

I don’t think you should be able to run autocross tires. Some of the Corvette guys run A6s for qualifying….$$$$$. Although I think the 710 is an autocross tire…?

I think they should allow custom gears for prepared instead of just a R&P. My guess is some do already. Should 5 speeds be allowed to get 6 speeds?

I think full cages and a H&N requirement is good.

I also strongly agree with being able to 86 the headliner for better cage fitment.

I agree with being able to remove the heater blower….as well as the loose carpet (trunk).

That’s about it, I think they look really good. I would like to see camber plates (non-pinned) moved into stock class, but that probably won’t happen. You can change your exhaust and put on triple adjustable remote reservoir shocks, but can’t dial in more camber? I guess they need to draw the line somewhere, but would like to see that changed, if only for tire wear. How many cars in stock are running 1.25(ish) degrees of camber up front anyway? Maybe they could waive it for race cars that are driven to the track (just kidding).

Also a question about GTC 1. I understand about being able to run non-OEM springs and shocks, what about bushings? Can one purchase the same OEM bushings that came on Euro Cups? Just curious.
The M64/03 is no advantage over any other proper rebuilt 3.6, but the cup chip is an advantage. The bigger brakes are a little better, and the trans only has a different 2nd gear. Seem welding does squat, but does prevent the car from coming apart at the spot welds.

The bushings for cups are mostly NLA.

Quick Reply: 2008 PCA Rules Clarifications and Comments