Sponsored by:

Rotor Lipped - now pad and rotor change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rotor Lipped - now pad and rotor change

My front rotors need to be changed. Ok, no worries. But my brake wear light came on at that same time. I know it's the fronts, as they were getting low.

I did some research here, and read a few posts about not changing the pads and rotors at the same time, with some discussion of it being better to bed pads with old rotors.

My car is at the Ruf shop, and it was their suggestion to do pads / rotors at the same time. These guys are dedicated track junkies, and highly qualified P-car mechanics, so I have faith in their recommnedation to do both - so can someone shed some light on the "don't do both at the same time" line of reasoning? Or is this just an old PorscheWive's tale?

-td
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are getting a new pad type then new rotors is ideal. If you reuse rotors then you need a get all of the previous transfer layer off so the new pad material has a fresh surface.

if you are using the same pads then new or old rotors doesn't really matter, but if the rotors are low you might as well have them changed while they're in there.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

New rotors take a lot longer to polish smooth than pads take to bed. With new rotors, you need to drive it a bit to get the smooth rotor face you need for top performance and to bed pads properly. Doing both at once slows the process. Doing one at a time speeds up the bedding of either component.

If you take new rotors out on track, you should be a bit conservative for a while. You stand to overheat and damage the rotor otherwise.

Quick Reply: Rotor Lipped - now pad and rotor change