Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 03:35 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

great battle at mosport.
Old 09-08-2007 | 01:27 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Belgian team to race at Petit Le Mans with Rudi Penders and Franz Lamot. They have Michelin tires.

http://www.prospeed.be/
Old 09-09-2007 | 02:26 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Team Trans Sport Racing Elects to Test – new tires coming for Detroit

(missed Mosport race)

http://www.transsportonline.com/news_release7.html
Old 09-09-2007 | 11:28 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Good day Gentlemen.
I'm a newbie to this forum.
Will a new gearbox and aero package be enough for the 997;s to make up the +/- 0.7 seconds that they lack in pace in comparison to the Ferrari's?
If so will it be enough to hold off further development of the 430's so we don't find ourselves in the same position as this year?
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:30 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Someone on another forum wrote that Porsche are currently undergoing tests with the 2008 997RSR but that they are having some problems with the car. Apparently haven't discovered exactly what it is, so no solutiion has yet been found.
Does anyone know any thing about this, or is this just hot air?
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:45 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

cars are being tested all the time, there are always problems

R+C
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:52 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Yes I expect thats true. Lets hope that a solution is found soon.
Old 09-11-2007 | 09:28 PM
songhoh
Advanced

These are great times. Porsche being forced to make the GT3 better? I think its fantastic we are being pushed, don't you? Or do you want to go back to the way it was, Porsche parade.
JLC
collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net
Old 09-12-2007 | 02:49 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

I have no problem with Porsche being pushed, it's getting trounced that makes my blood curdle!
Old 09-12-2007 | 04:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
I have no problem with Porsche being pushed, it's getting trounced that makes my blood curdle!
If you were in the racing department, wouldn't you keep looking over your shoulder at the GT1 and wishing?
Any minute now they will be calling Neckarsulm and getting an ASF sent down (sorry rule don't allow the cf tub).

You can dress the ASF in Cayman lookalike panels.....

R+C
Old 09-12-2007 | 05:01 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If you were in the racing department, wouldn't you keep looking over your shoulder at the GT1 and wishing?
Any minute now they will be calling Neckarsulm and getting an ASF sent down (sorry rule don't allow the cf tub).

You can dress the ASF in Cayman lookalike panels.....

R+C
Every day of the week!
Question though; they really have to head to Audi to get one?
Old 09-12-2007 | 05:27 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rassel
Every day of the week!
Question though; they really have to head to Audi to get one?
Well, better Audi where Ferdinand Piëch was Chief Engineer and CEO than Prodrive where they build Aston Martins and Ferraris out of Lotus chassis.

There is a lot of technology behind the ASF, the production line that builds that was specified by the same VW engineers who designed the Carrera GT assembly line and the Glass Manufactuur in Dresden. A lot of the initial work was done by Thyssen-Krupp.

PAG has little Al expertise, Audi is the Al company, the production facility in Neckarsulm (just up the A81 from Zuffenhausen) has built cars for other manufacturers and continues to build the ASF for Lamborghini.

One of the reasons for PAG taking an equity stake in VAG was to get unfettered access to VAG resources, not just engineering research but also smart production lines. I see PAG and Audi being great fits for each other.

R+C
PS - you are sharing a car with Smodo?
Old 09-12-2007 | 07:47 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Well, better Audi where Ferdinand Piëch was Chief Engineer and CEO than Prodrive where they build Aston Martins and Ferraris out of Lotus chassis.

There is a lot of technology behind the ASF, the production line that builds that was specified by the same VW engineers who designed the Carrera GT assembly line and the Glass Manufacture in Dresden. A lot of the initial work was done by Thyssen-Krupp.

PAG has little Al expertise, Audi is the Al company, the production facility in Neckarsulm (just up the A81 from Zuffenhausen) has built cars for other manufacturers and continues to build the ASF for Lamborghini.

One of the reasons for PAG taking an equity stake in VAG was to get unfettered access to VAG resources, not just engineering research but also smart production lines. I see PAG and Audi being great fits for each other.

R+C
PS - you are sharing a car with Smodo?
Glues and rivets are not my melody

Ah, there's always a logical explanation to things. But this isn't for race cars I presume. IIRC - ASF and equivalent requires wicked expensive machinery for mass production?

No car sharing here, everyone seems to be heading for ADAC24 and VLN except me..
Old 09-12-2007 | 08:04 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rassel
Glues and rivets are not my melody

Ah, there's always a logical explanation to things. But this isn't for race cars I presume. IIRC - ASF and equivalent requires wicked expensive machinery for mass production?

No car sharing here, everyone seems to be heading for ADAC24 and VLN except me..
Well, the Gallardo/R8 platform is quite clever, easy to make longer or shorter or wider......

The first time I went to look at the A8 production line, I discovered that the cars were hand made, by now it is more automated, but you right about the cost. Getting the factories to work seems much more difficult than designing cars.....

So now you drive the Love Bug?

R+C
Old 09-12-2007 | 08:15 AM
Rassel
Drifting

So now you drive the Love Bug?

R+C
Haha, the Love Bug was a picture I took the last endurance race. We had a early mechanical failure on the cup car and ended sitting in the pits for 5 hours waiting for the race to finish, so I grabbed the camera and went shooting. The Beetle just kept going lap after lap after lap. A bit too slow but it had great fuel economy! Wouldn't mind try a race in one of them.

Quick Reply: ALMS Porsche vs Ferrari