Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were going to buy an SCCA non-Porsche race car what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to the SCCA official numbers for the year. The SRF class is strong.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...or_website.pdf
Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason the 325s (in the south east) were out of their element in ITS is most of them were stroked to 3.0 or even 3.2 M3 spec. The M3 and the 325 share the same block and head it is just the internal that are different. you can even leave the 325 cams in so if they pull a valve cover and check the cams it appears stock.

not that I know anything about cheating
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful buying a spec miata. You just might find it's as fast as your 911 times. Just run ITR and see what you think of SCCA. If you like the limited track time and politics, then go SM or SRF.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith
Be careful buying a spec miata. You just might find it's as fast as your 911 times. Just run ITR and see what you think of SCCA. If you like the limited track time and politics, then go SM or SRF.
Looks like you're running an ITR SC....how is it going?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsmith

A spec miata ?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dblapex
the reason the 325s (in the south east) were out of their element in ITS is most of them were stroked to 3.0 or even 3.2 M3 spec. The M3 and the 325 share the same block and head it is just the internal that are different. you can even leave the 325 cams in so if they pull a valve cover and check the cams it appears stock.

not that I know anything about cheating
The heads are different....
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Lots of comments/perspectives here on IT, so I won't rehash any of that, other than to say I've been very happy and had a lot of fun running my P-car in IT for the past 8 years - more so for the last 3 when the new ITAC moved it to ITB where it belongs!

What I will add is a comparison of the various IT classes: I think the various classes have a rather different feel to them, due to the cost of entry and who chooses to run them - not unlike the difference, say, between A Sedan cars and IT cars. Typically I've found the guy/gal who chooses to run a 80hp IT car is VERY different than someone who wants a big honkin' V8 pulling them around track. This leads to a very different perspective on how to go fast, how to race, on track conduct, and off-track conduct too sometimes even. Point-n-squirt vs. carrying speed through the corners. I've found the slower classes to be much lower pressure, guys with older, not the hottest thing cars, out to enjoy themselves...Doesn't seem to be the case in ITS, locally, ITA's a little bit of a different bent, very closely/hotly contested it seems, no idea what ITR's like (too new) but can't help but wonder if it's an extension of ITS...

Poorly worded, but what I'm trying to say is there's plenty of hard-headed types who already know they're good drivers - and no, I don't mean all ITS or AS or whatever drivers, just the ones you want to avoid - who aren't going to bother racing unless they've got 200, 300, whatever hp. Why would you want to drive a slow, underpowered old POS? They're also the guys who won't yield in a corner, regardless of how hopeless the situation - not just Type A, but pigheaded. So you end up with bent or broken cars as a result.

I much prefer racing in the slower classes, where you truly have to have talent to get up front - not unlike SRF seems to be. When you've only got 60-100hp, you have to work with the equipment to get up front - there's no torque to fix your mistakes. Drivers are much more aware of this fact at this level, we know we're not racing to show off to Roger Penkse, in fact most spectators don't even watch our races because we're so slow and quiet, so we race for ourselves and eachother, purely to have fun.

Yes, I've had contact - but as narrow as my track is, and as close as I race - it's a mere fraction of what you'd expect. I've never had a car-to-car that has put me out of a race, not since my rookie year anyway. Hitting walls has done far more damage to my car, and every time it was strictly from me losing control, not getting put there by someone else.

So consider the power levels of the class your considering, and what that means about the drivers in that sandbox... there are some classes that really do turn into slug-fests...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

My accountant races spec Miatas. When he heard I was buying another cup car he gave me some words of wisdom:

PS- heard you are looking for a 997 GT3- get a spec miata instead! Same trophy.

What does Porsche or Ferrari cup racing have in common with spec miata racing?
You CANT do $10,000 damage in either series if you have an accident.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a little late to the party here but I currently looking for a Spec Miata to race with my co-workers. Can't beat that bang for your buck!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
George, I'm curious about the Porsches in ITR. SC doesn't seem to get a fare shake against the 994 S2, Boxster and 968. G versus F in PCA.

In ITR the weight differences versus PCA are:
SC - 70 lbs
944 S2 - 272 lbs
968 - 181 lbs
Boxster - 99 lbs

I can't figure out how an SC that runs in lower class in PCA would have been given the lowest weight drop of the group? It makes the SC even less competitive when it started in a lower class with PCA to begin with.

The problem is PCA weights are not set to balance the classes. PCA weight are based on curb weight only.
ITR weights are set by determining the estimated hp gain and then coming with a weigth that will meet the hp/weigth target for the class. Then weights are adjusted up or down for things like brakes and fwd/rwd etc.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can race a 944 spec car for the same or less money than a spec miata
Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 PM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Looks like you're running an ITR SC....how is it going?
well, i've won every race i've entered (one entrant)! i've had fuel system issues for most of the year, so performance has sucked. once that's fixed, i should be battling at the front of our IT grid. BTW, I built the car for NASA GTS1 with the Toyo Spec 911 rules, hoping the spec series will become popular, or i'll have the fastest car in GTS1. honestly, i just didn't want to buy another tow vehicle/trailer/storage space, so i put the safety equipment in the 911 and drive to/from the races. i'll probably go with SM in a couple years, though.

i'm a huge fan of the GTS Challenge rules, and love seeing all the BMWs and Porsches racing together. power to weight and dot or non-dot tires is a great formula.

i'm in the race for fun crowd. ex: i only race on RA-1 tires, starting at full tread.
David
Old 09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

interesting that you're in GTS1. I run in GTS2. I can't imagine making 1. What weight do you run?

One big draw back for me is that I don't have any wheels that meet the ITR spec. I have 3 sets that don't and I just can't stomach buying another set.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
dsmith
Racer

i haven't run or dyno'd yet with NASA. that's next year. i did the calcs and remember that i would have to add about 150 lbs to get to the top ratio for GTS1. 18.50 x 150hp = 2775 lbs. i'm at 2650 now. not what most people would do. just thinking outside the box to win on a budget.

you didn't have any 16" wheels with your car? you could swap a set, maybe? still a lot cheaper than another car.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I have a set of 16's that I run rains on, would be a major PITA to have to swap back and forth between SCCA races and then NASA and PCA.

Quick Reply: If you were going to buy an SCCA non-Porsche race car what would you buy?