Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were going to buy an SCCA non-Porsche race car what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007 | 02:03 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

SRF is an active class all over the country. Low HP, fairly high grip. Purpose built, but low tech (pretty cheap to maintain). If you can get mid pack in a Regional and 2/3 from the front in a National, you can drive. Some of the deepest talent in SCCA, IMO.
Old 08-12-2007 | 02:15 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
I know of a sweet SCCA GT2 car for sale. Toyota Celica based shell, tube frame construction by a topbuilder, 1.6 and 2.0motors, 2480hp, 1700lbs, hewland sequential, extremely fun and pretty cheap.

2480 hp? I want to drive that....
Old 08-12-2007 | 02:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Mark, what does a decent SRF go for? Is the learning curve pretty steep compared to sedans?
Old 08-12-2007 | 03:24 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Prices drift around but are usually $15-$18k for a decent car.
I don't think the learning curve is really steep, but because the cars are so equal, it can take a while to find all the speed you need. The really great thing is that no matter where you run, you almost always have people to race against and some faster ones to chase and learn from.
Old 08-12-2007 | 06:05 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

SRF is my next car. Right now I have a FC because it was a cheaper entry into racing a true racecar. 15-18K is what you could find one for but what I had found in that range was a car that was often well used and was getting close to needing a solid amount of work.

Top to bottom it is some amazing racing. At the sprints this year I think there were roughly 50 cars and over 40 were on the lead lap.
Old 08-12-2007 | 06:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Mark, what does a decent SRF go for? Is the learning curve pretty steep compared to sedans?
Sean - brand new with spares and built for you they are about $35K (this site has a "Build your car" section) - http://www.sccaenterprises.com/spec_ford.html

I bet a good used one can be had for about $20+/- . Looks like a great way to race !
Old 08-12-2007 | 06:53 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
SRF is my next car. Right now I have a FC because it was a cheaper entry into racing a true racecar. 15-18K is what you could find one for but what I had found in that range was a car that was often well used and was getting close to needing a solid amount of work.

Top to bottom it is some amazing racing. At the sprints this year I think there were roughly 50 cars and over 40 were on the lead lap.
The year they moved from Renault to Ford power, both cars were legal in SCCA. I understand they had 102 starters at the sprints in that race. I ran one year and there were over 70 starters.
Old 08-12-2007 | 11:59 PM
dblapex
Instructor

I have an E30 325 and it is a blast to drive. Will run a 2:38 at Sebring and hang with the "real M3's" ( F stock cars are doing 2:34-2:36). The E36 cars are a better car and alot easier to "make a competitive adjustment" . If you want a "cheap" race car that you can make really fast the e30 is great. The E36 is very easy and takes almost no time to get fast in. The e30 will compliment a Porsche driver that does not mind hanging the tail out.

Brian
Old 08-13-2007 | 09:27 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ron Earp
I'd disagree on IT being slow or aged out as newer cars come in. 240/260/280Zs are still at the pointy end of ITS, as is the second generation RX7s and some others. IT doesn't have a huge number of newer cars added to the class and the ITAC group makes sure that things remain competitive. IT cars have to be at least five years old, to pick up cars from Touring classes. Fast ITA cars are still Integras, Miatas, 240sx, and others many of which are 15+years old now, some ITS cars that are doing well are 30 years old.
Ron, I'm very impressed you are still competitive in ITS with a 260z!

But I do have to wonder how much effort is made to keep that car at the front...(custom suspension pieces? motor dynos, big budget?)

I'd also wonder how much better you would do in a late model car, with newer suspension, and FI.

FWIW, I like a class where the driver makes the difference, rather than the car or the amount of $$ spent.

I think only a few of the top national drivers are buying 5 motors to get that 2 hp advantage. But you're right, if you want to win in a national class, you'll need to spend about 5 times what a regional racer is spending... and be pretty darn good too. (one last comment, on SRF is, I think the 'rules compliance' is higher than in any I.T. class)

-I like the BMW spec class (concept) and it might be better than SM or SRF, because of the 13/13 rule in Nasa. (IF it's a popular class in your region)

if you race in a non 13/13 class like SM, I.T. or even SRF contact is a fact of life... It becomes part of the race craft.... in order to finish races.
Old 08-13-2007 | 10:32 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Sean,

SRF or a IT class VW. No matter what, BMW and Porsche are more expnsive to run.

If you have not been to a SCCA race weekend, you should spend a little time to check out the landscape before you dive in. I have noticed more limited track time, typically 15-20 minutes sessions, 1 practice, 1 qual, 1 race per weekend. There are a ot of great racers in SCCA, but there are also few that rather spin you than pass you. You have to shed the 13/13 mentality to race there. Seemtimes it is hard to jump back and forth.

Are you thinking about selling the SC or buying another one?
Old 08-13-2007 | 10:55 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Sean,

SRF or a IT class VW. No matter what, BMW and Porsche are more expnsive to run.

If you have not been to a SCCA race weekend, you should spend a little time to check out the landscape before you dive in. I have noticed more limited track time, typically 15-20 minutes sessions, 1 practice, 1 qual, 1 race per weekend. There are a ot of great racers in SCCA, but there are also few that rather spin you than pass you. You have to shed the 13/13 mentality to race there. Seemtimes it is hard to jump back and forth.

Are you thinking about selling the SC or buying another one?

Hey Nader
Looking for another car. I hear you about the differences. I just want more local racing.
Old 08-13-2007 | 11:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I would stick with the 13/13 racing for now if I were you. A Spec BMW is relatively inexpensive and can run in NASA, BMWCCA, and even in the bumper car series... Do our cars meet the requirements of HSR I wonder?
Old 08-13-2007 | 11:34 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Ron, I'm very impressed you are still competitive in ITS with a 260z!

But I do have to wonder how much effort is made to keep that car at the front...(custom suspension pieces? motor dynos, big budget?)

I'd also wonder how much better you would do in a late model car, with newer suspension, and FI.
The only custom suspension pieces allowed in IT are dampers (no remote reservior), bushings (usually spherical bearings), swaybars, and CC plates.

As for the rest, new car, old car, the same effort has to go into it. Prep and tuning is prep and tuning.

FWIW, I like a class where the driver makes the difference, rather than the car or the amount of $$ spent.
What class would that be? The concept of equal cars in spec classes is a myth. Shoot some people are spending more for a competitive Spec Pinata engine than some people pay for an entire car AND it does make a difference.

I think only a few of the top national drivers are buying 5 motors to get that 2 hp advantage. But you're right, if you want to win in a national class, you'll need to spend about 5 times what a regional racer is spending... and be pretty darn good too. (one last comment, on SRF is, I think the 'rules compliance' is higher than in any I.T. class)
You're right. If you want to win in just about anything the cost curve can just about go vertical.

You're probably right about SRF rules compliance being better than IT. I think rules compliance in any national racing will always be higher than regional racing since most regional racers (including IT) are more laid back about rules enforcement. I've been on an IT grid and looked at the car next to us and had to stop counting all the obvious rules infractions. But again, I think it's a regional vs national distinction more than anything.

if you race in a non 13/13 class like SM, I.T. or even SRF contact is a fact of life... It becomes part of the race craft.... in order to finish races.
I don't know, from what I've read here, even in a 13/13 class, contact is still a fact of life. I've never made contact with anyone (my fault or theirs) in IT and I've rarely seen it happen. I don't think I've ever seen intentional contact (race craft) including at the ARRC. I think this is the same old thing that 13/13 racers keep talking about with little to no direct knowledge.
Old 08-13-2007 | 12:41 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

George;
I've seen you say this before, and I still can't believe that you race in IT and have "rarely seen this (contact) happen." I spent two seasons in IT in the Midwest (no less) and did not have one session (practice, qualifying, or race) that I did NOT see contact. It's just the way of life. Not bad, not good, just different.
Alan
Old 08-13-2007 | 02:44 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I raced SRF for almost 10 years. Had the same car the whole time. With mandated updates and minimal maintenance it was a competitive car the whole time. Its not the fastest or most sophisticated car out there, but no one's breaking the bank either in building up killer motors and finding other ways to get the drop on you either, which is why I left ITS. Preparation, set-up and driver skills are the keys to success in this class. Not having the biggest checkbook.
You can always find someone to race with, from beginner to Randy Pobst, and if you can drive an SRF really fast you can drive anything quickly. They're available for about 15-20k used and a new one will set you back about 40 by the time you get it built up and sorted out.

They have an excellant "dealer" network known as CSRs who can supply anything from parts and advice to full-up arrive and drive services. There's also a network of several good "privateers" who provide the same service, although all parts have to be "official" SCCA-approved and supplied through the CSRs.
They are very popular in the SE and MW Regions. I highly recommend it as a place to start. Obviously if its something you decide you want to stick with the sky's the limit on moving up in cars and classes, but SRF is a great starting point.

Quick Reply: If you were going to buy an SCCA non-Porsche race car what would you buy?