Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone selling a Recaro Pro Racer HANS XL <edit> or REGULAR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 03:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

ok, i spend a LOT of time trying different seats.

race tech are about 20mm wider than spg stuff.
race tech's WIDE version is 20mm wider than spg XL

tom w's seat is almost identical to spg hans pro racer seat except the shoulder harness hole size. one should sit in the seat if you use hans. my torso is so much longer than my legs, you think 1/2 of my legs are cut off. when i sit in seats with small harness holes, my shoulder covers up the hole so they dont work right with my HANS. you NEED to sit in the actual seat, taking measurements wont work.

for example, i am 5'9", to get the shoulder hole to the right spot for me, i need the "tall and wide" version of race tech 4009TWHR, which is made for ppl from 6'0" - 6'6" and i am not even close to that tall.

if you like spg pro racer (non hans) they are discontinued, but hmsmotorsport has ONE left as of last week. you may want to try speedwaremotorsport in WA also.

a normal spg (non XL) will work for most 35" waist, the seat works well, if you use the car as track car. if you are >35" but drive the car on street, your *** will become square and family jewel will get seriously squished.

wreck me otter's seat is very special (the one in the green sm). it's the widest spg pro racer hans i ever sat in, i sat in tom's and justin's and several other on track, they are all loser than kim's, dont know why.

also spg while having same width as spg pro racer (the racer series has elephant ears), the racer series are always tighter fitting b/c the thigh bolster are much taller, thus you are squeezed more.

finally, it's not just waist and hip, look at your thighs. i have cycling thighs which consist literally 90% of my wt. i fit all the seat at my waist and hip, but in spg my thighs are pushed so tight together i have trouble pulling the sub strap up b/n my thighs.

it sounds stupid, BUT SIT IN THE SEAT before you buy it. it has taken me over 12 months to search for the right seat.

spg pro racer HANS now makes an XL version. very new. i doubt you will find them used right now. they are about 1699 each. i just bought one.
Old 08-08-2007 | 09:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I know I need to sit in the seats. Been so busy with work that I have not had a chance to visit any vendors and check 'em out.

Additional feedback might be good for the archives, so keep them coming.
Old 08-08-2007 | 09:41 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Mark,
Look up RaceCompEngineering, ask to speak to myles (old pca guy). I bought my SPG from them and got a smoking deal for the seat. I'm 6'2" ~200lbs (and not getting any skinnier ) 36" waist and 42" chest. I LOVE my spg, I cant say enough good things about it. Its much better than any sparco I've sat in.

I would suggest sitting in every seat you can. I've sat in the sparco's and only the Evo fits me "well." The race tech i sat in was in a car and setup for someone way smaller than me so it was tight. But I'd look at racetechs again because of their halo seats and their price.
Old 08-08-2007 | 10:38 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also if you want a really comfortable seat try one of the LaJoie seats. A friend had one custom made and he swears by it. I sat on it, eventhough we have a pretty differnt build and foudn it very comfortable.

However, they look totally out of place in a 911 - actually in any Porsche ( IMHO ).

Quick Reply: Is anyone selling a Recaro Pro Racer HANS XL <edit> or REGULAR?