Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Wear u left it I asumme...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only tracks I have driven that allow windows up are in Europe, but they also have helmets as optional along with whether your dog wants to join you also.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you don't have windows?
Can you not run.

VIR is a fast track as well, windows down all the time.

Like I would want glass holding me in the car... Holy moly... Good way to end up withOUT an arm...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Window nets are allowed.
Passenger window can be down if there is not a passenger.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

allowed? or required in the event that you don't have windows???
It would seem that if they want windows up, and you don't have windows, that they'd require a net???
Old 08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

You need either a window net or a window up (1 inch crack for ventalation allowed).
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I thought that the AC Compressor clutch disengages on full throttle and I'm not so sure that it would be all that good for the AC compressor to be spun near redline for extended periods of time...BUT, I could be wrong here.

Thats what I was told at PDE.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
You could be right but I find that very very hard to believe. If it were true, you wouldn't feel the loss in a 120 hp civic either, but experience proves otherwise.
Instantaneous load can be high, perhaps as much as 10 hp.....the average load is 1.5 hp or lower.....show me a Porsche that has more than 1 ton of cooling.

I don't know about the civic.

Probably pretty noticeable if the compressor pulls coming up the toe of the boot or in the esses at WG in an N/A 944.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

At the Porsche Sport Driving Experiance (was PDE) at Barber Motor Sports Park in Birmingham, AL we ran with windows up and A/C on. At my clubs DE's at Sebring it's windows down and I run with the A/C on.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts
Cool More rules, that's just great! :(

Originally Posted by Vampire
It keeps arms/heads in the car in case of rollovers.
Wrist restraints and window nets do a great job of keeping head and arms from going out the window.

At Porsche Owners Club races (A Cali Club Racing Organization), you need either wrist restraints OR a window net. I am thinking the wrist restraints may be the best bet in that they keep your left arm inside the car, and they allow you more vision to the left side of the car.

Windows up, this could be a real problem in a wreck....extracting the driver could be a real chore.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Wrist restraints .. do a great job

.I am thinking the wrist restraints may be the best bet

Windows up, this could be a real problem in a wreck....extracting the driver could be a real chore.
there is an expression for people like you.

Windows have never got in the way of extracting a driver, usually they have popped out, or broken during the crash, and if they haven't braking them is a matter of a moment.

As far as the bondage goes, have you ever seen F1 drivers or ALMS drivers wearing arm restraints? There is a lot of information about restraint on the net.

R+C
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nord Stern rules for Brainerd have been analyzed, debated and re-debated for 25 years. They are not the result of either misinformation or lack of understanding. Any time you put a street car on a race track you make compromises in the safety rules and the compromises made for Brainerd are a little different than most tracks.

Brainerd is fast in a way no other US track is. Certainly not VIR which I would consider fairly slow. Daytona has higher max speeds but you’re on a huge bank with a wall next to you to contain your car.

In a modern street car you will enter BIR’s mile long front straight at over 100 mph. That gives you an entry speed into T1 of over 150 mph in a n/a 996. More in a TT or GT3. A well driven DE car with suspension work and R compound tires can go through T1 flat. T2 is only slightly slower with speeds exceeding 120 mph. A crash in either corner often results in cars rolling six or seven times. The biggest issue in such a crash is containment and the structural integrity of the roof. Both are enhanced by the windows being up.

At Brainerd, the likelihood of a dramatic barrel roll is much much greater than the likelihood of your car starting on fire and your doors not opening and your window switch not working and the corner worker not getting to you to get you out.

I’m not at all interested in debating the topic. That should be left to those that understand both safety systems and the unique nature of the track. I’m just sharing a little of the rational.

BTW, don't most modern enclosed race cars have windows?
Jim

Quick Reply: Power loss with A/C on