Charging a fire extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Charging a fire extinguisher

The dial on my FE is in the recharge zone. It is Halon, and fancy chrome so i dont want to toss it.

What are the procedures?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the unit real cold when you checked? The pressure will go up and down with temp. How far into the recharge zone is it reading?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Good luck on recharging Halon. I had to throw out my entire fire suppression system after I pulled the fire cable by accident instead of the electrical cut off last fall. It depends on the brand and the bottle. If the bottle is of a certain type, you can ship it to be refilled. Mine wasn't. My brand required a certain type disk that the manufacturer only provided to one outfit and it was in GA. They would not ship a refilled bottle so...It was cheaper to get the new system in the long run anyway.

PM me if you want the number to an outfit in the Cleveland area that still has Halon. He'll be able to tell you if he can help you out. He was very courteous to me even though he couldn't help.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Too bad they would not mail you a burst disc so you could fill elsewhere. It is legal to ground ship Halon. Some say it is not.

The 2.5 pound hand held type even is you can find a co. to service it most often cost more to refill than to replace.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

it is just a little in the red. say between 10 and 11. It was never used, i thought one can get more propellent injected into the bottle. is that not the case with halon?

it is the 2.5 lb chrome. i think it is made by amerex

I just called up two places that told me to throw it away and get a less efficient halotron.

what is worse, having an inefficient halotron or an almost full halon? i think i am going to get the cheapes FE for DE and put that in the car. I have no plans on using it ever anyway. if my car catches fire, i will be running as far and as fast as i can. call me chicken mcfly.

Last edited by Tom R.; 07-31-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

my wonderful wife got it charged.

she took it to the local fire supply place. they charged it and gave it a new sticker and charged me only about $55.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:42 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Keeper!

Quick Reply: Charging a fire extinguisher