Instructors needed for 1st Settler's DE at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Instructors needed for 1st Settler's DE at VIR

Just an FYI:
First Settler's Region PCA is looking for instructors for their September 22-24 DE at VIR. They are a good group to run with. For Sat/Sun they are running the South Course and then on Monday they do the Full Course.
See their website and use www.driverregistration.com to register. Or email Don Bryant for more info: dbryant61@***.net
Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the email from Don and sent it out to our instructors.
I did the event last year for the first time and was made to feel right at home.
A good group and the South course is suprisingly challenging...
Check it out if your schedule allows.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an instructor and maybe I should direct this question to their DE chair but do they prefer this setup. Sat.=South, Sun.=South, Mon.=Full?

Three day event that stretches into Monday and though the South incorporates the technical aspects of the Patriot course to ME it really is not much fun.

I noted last year they had openings for the Monday full just to come run that one day. Since I am a member at VIR and not too far away I try to set that day aside in case they do that again.

Otherwise they are indeed a good group to run with and have enjoyed running with them in the past.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:47 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Chris-
The reason I like the South course is that you can get so many repititions in on each session that you can really work on your line in each corner. By the end of the weekend I felt I had really improved.

As far as running Monday solo I would suggest you contact Don but as I remember there weren't that many people so you should be able to if I had to guess.

VIR Member eh? I'll have to look into that. Is it worth it?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Chris,
You can register for just Monday.
That's what I did.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... You guys are tempting me with that Monday deal....
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If I were to do it, it would be Monday only. I have no interest in running the south course for two full days. I enjoyed running with FSR at the last VIR event (even if they gave me 2 students ) and will definitely run with them again. Don put together a great event.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

With all you hot shoes planning on running on Monday with hardly anyone there I guess I'm going to have to sign up to give you something to pass !!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

We run the South course in September because that is what is available. For the four years I have driven this event, there have been motorcycle races on the North course. I like it, personally, but that is because it is a bit of an equalizer when you drive a lower hp car. Not as big of a delta in lap times as the full course.

Side note: I have heard that plans have changed for the owners of VIR who are building Thunderbolt in Vineland, NJ. They are building two separate courses; one around 1.9 mi. and one around 2.25 mi. (very approximate). My guess is that was a money decision, as they probably make the most money when one group rents the North and one the South. So you high hp guys might want to practice on the shorter courses so youll be better prepared for trips to NJ. I have two weekends pencilled in with the manager of Thunderbolt. If all goes well, FSR will do four DEs in 2008, two at VIR and two at Thunderbolt (June and October).

See you in September, whether Sat-Mon or Mon only.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Chris,

We run the South course in September because that is what is available. For the four years I have driven this event, there have been motorcycle races on the North course. I like it, personally, but that is because it is a bit of an equalizer when you drive a lower hp car. Not as big of a delta in lap times as the full course.

Side note: I have heard that plans have changed for the owners of VIR who are building Thunderbolt in Vineland, NJ. They are building two separate courses; one around 1.9 mi. and one around 2.25 mi. (very approximate). My guess is that was a money decision, as they probably make the most money when one group rents the North and one the South. So you high hp guys might want to practice on the shorter courses so youll be better prepared for trips to NJ. I have two weekends pencilled in with the manager of Thunderbolt. If all goes well, FSR will do four DEs in 2008, two at VIR and two at Thunderbolt (June and October).

See you in September, whether Sat-Mon or Mon only.

Thanks Don. I was the guy hanging with Brian Keith Smith this weekend. I appreciate your response. I knew it had to be for that reason and how difficult it is to get dates at VIR anymore. As a member there, our number of full course days is limited as well and we run many North and South days for the exact same reason.

I am excited with the reciprocal priviliges at Thunderbolt that I will have with the club and look forward to running with you guys there as well as I have always enjoyed running with you.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Hey Chris,

If you do join us in September, please introduce yourself. Always god to connect a face with a name.

I apologize for your relationship with BKS. Mine requires constant therapy. :^)

Actually Brian was a great help last winter when I was rebuilding my engine.

As a member, you probably know another mutual friend; John Carey. We were hanging out together on Thursday. I rented a garage next to his just to get out of the heat.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Margo and I will be there instructing on Monday.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Hi Arnie,

Im sorry I did not get the chance to come over and say hi on Thursday. How bout dem degrees?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Hi Arnie,

Im sorry I did not get the chance to come over and say hi on Thursday. How bout dem degrees?
Don,

We are looking forward to hte 24th. We always enjoy running with First Settlers. We do wish you could get the whole track for the whole three days, but as you say, there are those who love the South Course.

As to Thursday, it was brutal. As Margo said, "That heat is entirely unnecessary." If you saw our little compound with Dell and Tom, Margo had brought a large sheet that she put up between the tent and trailer to shield us from the sun, and I brought along two fans and an extension cord. We also came armed with diapers. Just ask Dell and Tom about the proper use of this item!

I gave up driving right after lunch feeling light-headed and weak-kneed and had to sit for 40 minutes without even the energy to head over to the cool classroom. At one point, Dell got out of the car and looked as though he had gotten run over by a Mack Truck, then cooled off, thanks to Margo's EMT talents, and went back out to set his fastest times of the day. Margo reminds me that I rather looked as though the Mack Truck had hit me, too.

The strangest thing is that Margo, who is the first to wilt in the heat, did just fine. She was so paranoid that she hydrated with a vengeance all Wednesday and Thursday, went into the bathroom before each of her sessions and doused her head in the sink, then ran with a cold, soaking-wet diaper around her neck.

My student was another one of the few not affected by the heat. He said his work environment was much hotter than Thursday at the track. He is a chef! There was one little problem, though, for me in his car. His heat could not be shut off, so we were running in 124-degree on-track temperature, according to his car indicator. With his heater, I thought it would melt the dash and panels.

Margo lucked out with a student with an air-conditioned car. Next time, I want one that can't shut off its AC, but with my luck, I'll get one of those in December.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Glad you survived. I'll repeat part of my previous post. My student had a 2008 Cayenne S, and riding in her car was the coolest part of my day. I wilted during a run right after lunch and came in early. I then concentrated on getting cool for my final run. I was OK on that run. I skipped out before the last run of the day, and fortunately my student did too.

See you 9/24.

Quick Reply: Instructors needed for 1st Settler's DE at VIR