Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hooks for stock bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 02:05 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Default Tow hooks for stock bumpers

I'd like to install tow hooks in my stock bumpers in my mostly track SC. Paragon carries one this is similar to what I want, but it seems a little pricey, and I'd like some input from someone who has BTDT. I'd like to get the factory tool-kit type that comes with 964s and on, and install a backing plate that is threaded for two small bolts to hold it in place and a larger center hole tapped for the screw-in eye.

So my qyestions are:

Where on the stock bumper is the best place to mount these?
Has anyone done this and have any warnings or recommendations?
What is the best source for the tow-hook eye?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2007 | 02:49 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

You shouldn't pull on the SC bumpers unless you take out the shock absorber thingys and replace them with something solid like a Euro crush tube....plus the Euro crush tubes are significantly lighter.

You'll need to go through the bumper and to the chassis just behind it or come up with some creative solution that keeps the pulling off the bumper itself. For the rear there is an engine case mounted loop but it's a little low and not so fair to the corner workers.

As far as location, along the center line of the car is best so it's equally accessible from either side.

Most folks with track cars have glass bumpers and then going through the bumper to the chassis is easy and convenient by mounting to the bolt locations where the shock absorber thingys were mounted to.
Old 07-19-2007 | 03:11 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response Chris. When I race, it will be G-class, and I am already very near race weight. I realize losing weight at the ends and adding it back near the center reduces the polar moment of inertia, making the car easier to control, etc., but I also like the idea of having bumpers that my reduce damage if I connect with another car or aarmco, tire barrier, etc.

ANy idea where to get the euro crush tubes?
Old 07-19-2007 | 03:23 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

you can find them used. That's how I found mine.

I am using a glass front but a stock rear bumper since that is usually the end that hits first. Once you take off the bumper pads and other unnecessary trim pieces you'll see a bunch of holes in the bumper. You can buy a U-shaped bracket at Home Depot, Lowe's etc that the ends of fit perfectly in two of the holes already in the bumper. It's an easy solution tot he tow hook - a $5 off-the-shelf bolt on bracket
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:47 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chris.

Anybody else out there with experience putting tow hooks on a '74-89 911 with stock bumpers?

Don

Quick Reply: Tow hooks for stock bumpers