Sponsored by:

How important is corner balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Interesting knowledge. How unstable is unstable? My 1983 911 would get wiggly in the brake zones...to my knowledge it has never even been aligned past the factory.
Steve, if you again think about a wobbly chair on a hard surface. If you are moving the chair along and then suddenly stop it, the weight of the chair will shift forward and it will pivot accross the two diagonal longer legs onto the front shorter leg. The time difference between the shift in weight because of this diagonal weight transfer is what will be felt as instability.
This is hard to judge since the surface of the track also plays an important role in the stability under braking. However, if you have a nagging consistent pull to one side under smooth surfaces and the car tracks straight normally (Ruling out an alignment issue) and the brakes are not sticking, then you may want to check your corner balance for it being way off. Note that to be really unstable under braking the CB has to be WAY off.

RE someone elses point, a modern car with unadjustable springplates can not be adjusted. Usually the torsion bar cars or cars with coiilovers, are the ones where this is a concern. And to echo Larry's point, the stiffer the suspension, the more noticable. Unless the car has been in a wreck or there has been some major suspension work, the car is probably close enough to be fine.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the responses. I've learned a lot. So it appears I should leave it alone right now.

Does you opinion change if more weight is added to the car in the form of taking out the stock seats (non electrical), adding GT3 seats, teq bar, harnesses, extinquisher etc?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. Everything you are taking out and will probably be a net weight gain of zero and most of is similarly placed within the car.

That said, my car was corner balances with my weight in the driver's seat and I can feel a difference in handling when I have the occational instructor or student ride with me.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Who told you that? Why?
I am just asking...do you know why? I was told that you have to have an adjustable height suspension, which stock 997 does not have. I do not know if the GT3 does or not but I think it does. Do you know? i am just trying to learn something here.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am just asking...do you know why? I was told that you have to have an adjustable height suspension, which stock 997 does not have. I do not know if the GT3 does or not but I think it does. Do you know? i am just trying to learn something here.
There are some tricks a good shop can do to affect the corner balance slightly but as has been mentioned, it probably won't be noticable on a soft car or by a driver who is not at (or very near) the limit of the car (not the driver).

BTW, the 997 GT-3 has a fully adjustable suspension.

Quick Reply: How important is corner balancing