Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should we boycott tracks in need of resurfacing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah that will work...lol
Old 07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff 500 was cancelled b/c of lack of entries, not b/c of a boycott by Redman's group.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right or wrong, I heard that the lack of entries was due to track conditions and that they didn't want their cars damaged by the track conditions.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgz924s
One can repave LRP every year and still end up on a washboard. I read an article a while back on the ground there and other Northern tracks on ground composition. LRP like others are constantly fighting winter to summer temps and poor beds for the tracks. The Germans had this issue so when they built the Autobahn they did it in sections 6' deep to reduce buckling. It is impossible to keep the ground from shifting so they combat it with a special surface and road bed thickness. When a section cracks or buckles they change the section. The ground at LRP is always moving so a rough surface is going to be there unless they spent millions to do as the design for the Autobahn. In Iowa we cannot keep our roads flat at all and it is much worse in the NE area.

If they pave, give it 2 years and it will be back to what it is now....no question!
Watkins Glen, LCMT, and Mosport seem to have solved the problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Some misinterpritation, but no big deal. I didn't mean to be elitist at all, just pointing out that to be really fast their you have to be really good. Everyone is invited!

I completely agree with the "If you don't like it, don't go" mindset. It is bumpy and could certainly be better, but the whiners remind me of the NASCAR drivers when they talk about how bad a track NHIS is becuase it's short and flat.
Thanks for the clarification Matt. I wanted to make sure I interpreted you correctly and if you give you a chance to clarify so I didn't respond to your post incorrectly. I agree totally, if you don't like it, don't do.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

right or wrong, I heard that the lack of entries was due to track conditions and that they didn't want their cars damaged by the track conditions
+1

To clarify, the intent of the thread was to get your opinion whether we should as a group, attempt to put economic preasure on the facilities, which fail to maintain their complexes. When it comes down to it we are paying for asphalt and its lay out. I find it offensive to have to incure additional expenses to repair my car due to the lack of the above and will vote with my wallet and reinforce with a friendly letter to the facility. It is a shame, because I like Summit and it is only 4 hours away, but I missed and open track day and 2 additioanl days at WGI due to the repairs from what I believe was attributable to Summit. I have never been to LRP and purposely have not do to it's condition and yes a stock car would do well since you need a mush suspension to suck up the wash board.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

I suspect the new "Club" at LRP will make any boycott or protestations by DE and club folks moot.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Watkins Glen, LCMT, and Mosport seem to have solved the problem.
I was going to mention LCMT as it is by far the nicest surface that I have been on (that includes VIR, which is a close second)

I have no idea how they maintain it that well given that it is in the middle of a ski resort.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
+1

To clarify, the intent of the thread was to get your opinion whether we should as a group, attempt to put economic preasure on the facilities, which fail to maintain their complexes. When it comes down to it we are paying for asphalt and its lay out. I find it offensive to have to incure additional expenses to repair my car due to the lack of the above and will vote with my wallet and reinforce with a friendly letter to the facility. It is a shame, because I like Summit and it is only 4 hours away, but I missed and open track day and 2 additioanl days at WGI due to the repairs from what I believe was attributable to Summit. I have never been to LRP and purposely have not do to it's condition and yes a stock car would do well since you need a mush suspension to suck up the wash board.
Having driven Lime Rock and Pocono, I consider Summit to be reasonably well maintained. Turn 5 is really the only one that is a major problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I was going to mention LCMT as it is by far the nicest surface that I have been on (that includes VIR, which is a close second)

I have no idea how they maintain it that well given that it is in the middle of a ski resort.
Compared to the new track at Calabogie (1hr. west of Ottawa) LCMT is bumpy.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Having driven Lime Rock and Pocono, I consider Summit to be reasonably well maintained. Turn 5 is really the only one that is a major problem.
Errrr, Brian start using the entire track and you will change your mind....... Seriously, SP needs repaving big time. I could list turn by turn the problem areas, but most you guys would barf from the boredom of common knowledge.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Errrr, Brian start using the entire track and you will change your mind....... Seriously, SP needs repaving big time. I could list turn by turn the problem areas, but most you guys would barf from the boredom of common knowledge.
I'm not arguing that SP doesn't need repaving - I'm just saying I think the other tracks are worse.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the entire track. Are you saying I should be driving over the massive potholes at SP? Who would do that???
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Brian, it was a joke...... T1 - T2 in particular has serious bumps that allow little rebound on adjustables as you track wide through T2. I have to use a soft setting to apply hard throttle past the apex of T1. T5-T6, if you trail hard enough, you can avoid some of the drop off just past the big concrete patch. Then T6-T7-T8 has more ready-patch than an urban parking lot. Middle of the track has the most grip. Now T9 is not bad, but entry is a little rough and tracking out WOT is different every lap. Track is falling apart wide a turn in T10, same in T1, same at Wagon Bend T3 between the two access roads.

Anyone want to add, I am sure I missed something. BTW I really like the way SP flows and would love to see it repaved.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Brian, it was a joke...... T1 - T2 in particular has serious bumps that allow little rebound on adjustables as you track wide through T2. I have to use a soft setting to apply hard throttle past the apex of T1. T5-T6, if you trail hard enough, you can avoid some of the drop off just past the big concrete patch. Then T6-T7-T8 has more ready-patch than an urban parking lot. Middle of the track has the most grip. Now T9 is not bad, but entry is a little rough and tracking out WOT is different every lap. Track is falling apart wide a turn in T10, same in T1, same at Wagon Bend T3 between the two access roads.

Anyone want to add, I am sure I missed something. BTW I really like the way SP flows and would love to see it repaved.
That sums it up pretty well, although I would add that the entry into 3 and 5 are way too bumpy….my abs doesn’t like it. T1 is the big problem for me, the inside is crazy bumpy.

I am not really boycotting Summit, but I am doing about 7-8 fewer days there this year, although I am going this weekend. For me, I use to be able to drive home at night and now I have to get a motel, so now Summit is not that much more expensive than VIR. VIR, MO or WG is one (maybe 2 if I’m tired) extra motel night(s) and probably another $50-75 for gas. So about $150-$250 more I can drive VIR, MO, or WG over Summit. Since the weekend will probably cost near $1k anyway, I would rather be at the better tracks for an extra $150-$250. Although the other three tracks are also easier on my car, I would be a hypocrite to say that is one of the reasons because I still drive the car on the crappy interstates and highways to get them.

I would rather run two events at VIR or WG on hohos than three at Summit on RA-1s, which is basically what I am doing this year. Fewer days but better days, IMO. Maybe flawed logic, but I’m going w/ it for now…..especially since I just drove the Glen for the first time Whoo-hooo!

I heard that Tom Bobbit spoke to Bill Scott about the condition and the result was: no repave anytime soon (this is what I heard). In fact at last year’s Potomac event in August Bill gave a speech about extending Jefferson Circuit into a mini “Suzuka” track. I don’t get it, but….Summit is a mess on a few levels, so I’m not surprised (flaggers, bathrooms, paddock, etc). If I owned that business I would take more pride in my product/service, but I guess since they still sell out every weekend, they don’t care….sounds like what I have read about Lime Rock.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If they pave, give it 2 years and it will be back to what it is now....no question!
Well let them pave the washboard with the "paving fee" they collected and then we can all see what happens in 2 years!

Last edited by John Veninger; 07-11-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Should we boycott tracks in need of resurfacing?