Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I keep cracking rotors on my G car - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 12:21 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I don't have to bleed after every session, but the pedal goes to the floor and I have to pump it back after every session when I get back in the car. I'll check in with Dan on the fluid. Maybe I have a problem in the system. I don't think it's my braking style, I've had many experienced instructors/racers in my car and it's never come up. On some of these track like LRP, I'm really not braking much at all (really only going into T1). I could switch from Motul to SRF but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference - the boiling points aren't that different.
My car does the same thing (pedal is soft until pumped up). I think its the rotors cooling and/or the fluid boiling in the pits.

Trust me on the SRF. It does make a big difference when compared to Motul, especially if you are right on the edge of boiling the fluid, which seems to always be the case with our SCs. You will bleed half as often.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 07-16-2007 | 12:48 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

I used to run super blue in my car, and never had a problem. What kind of brake fluid are you using?
Old 07-16-2007 | 01:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Never had a problem using SB, pedal always good and firm. Sure sounds like air in the lines to me..
Old 07-16-2007 | 02:49 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
I used to run super blue in my car, and never had a problem. What kind of brake fluid are you using?
Motul 600. Better boiling point than SB. But, you never used your brakes
Old 07-16-2007 | 02:49 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Never had a problem using SB, pedal always good and firm. Sure sounds like air in the lines to me..

I'm starting to think that as well. I'll have Dan take a look at the system. He's going to have the car for a couple of weeks in August.
Old 07-16-2007 | 02:50 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaydubya
My car does the same thing (pedal is soft until pumped up). I think its the rotors cooling and/or the fluid boiling in the pits.

Trust me on the SRF. It does make a big difference when compared to Motul, especially if you are right on the edge of boiling the fluid, which seems to always be the case with our SCs. You will bleed half as often.

Cheers,

Jeff
I'll try the SRF and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-16-2007 | 03:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers,

Jeff
The only thing that causes asoft pedal(besides a leak) is boiled fluid.

You guys should listen to GWTurboS & Analopg Mike, Stock SC rotors are undersized but the best available. Concetrate on ducting as much air in to them as you can and run at minimum weight. SRF may keep the fluid from boiling but the rest of the parts will still run too hot and as a result won't last long.
Old 07-16-2007 | 04:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GWTurboS
material spec is the area to investigate.
If it helps you find the material specifications, the OEM rotors are cast from Luperlit.
Old 07-16-2007 | 06:54 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same here. Something is going with those brakes.
Old 07-16-2007 | 09:50 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The only thing that causes asoft pedal(besides a leak) is boiled fluid.
And pad knockback.
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Jeff, what causes pad knockback?
Old 07-16-2007 | 10:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

And pad knockback.
If you have a 911, 964 0r 993 w/ stock components w/ pad knockback you have bigger problems than addressed here.
Old 07-17-2007 | 12:10 AM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Jeff, what causes pad knockback?
There's a nice explanation on Stoptech's web page:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

I love this quote about one way to reduce pad knockback:

"5. Slow down and reduce cornering forces
Naturally, this solution is no fun and is not recommended"

Old 07-17-2007 | 09:19 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have a 911, 964 0r 993 w/ stock components w/ pad knockback you have bigger problems than addressed here.
I don't think knockback will generate heat related problems......rotor cracking and boiling fluid.

FWIW I met a guy at the track that had huge Stoptech brakes on a new ZO6 vette with increased HP, running slicks, and he had a knockback problem.
Old 07-17-2007 | 03:08 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

I'm cheating The Man for a couple of minutes while I post this from my office, but this is where all our material specifications books are located and I cannot take them home.

This rotor cracking subject peaks my curiousity based on the category of Why Stuff Breaks. If you are not interested in material specifications, skip this post. This is merely an observation on materials used for passenger car rotors versus what is good for thermal cracking resistance.

My list of gray iron casting grades per SAE J431 says that there are 3 common materials: G7/ASTM A48-20, G9/ASTM A48M-25, and G10/ASTM A48M-30. G9 and G10 have higher Brinnel hardness ratings and lower graphite content, so they tend to wear longer. This makes them popular material specs for replacement brake rotors. However, G7 has higher graphite content and higher thermal conductivity, so it has greater thermal cracking resistance. Unfortunately what I am finding out is that G7 is more commonly used for casting brake drums, not discs.

This makes a little more sense now. The typical aftermarket supplier/manufacturer is dealing with a customer base that is more concerned about wear, not thermal cracking.

I'm jumping back into my regular job right now before I get fired, , but I just spotted a great graph of material tensile strength versus temperature. When I get a moment free, I will post a quick summary as a follow-up.

Quick Reply: I keep cracking rotors on my G car - suggestions?