Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spy case court hearing adjourned

By Biranit Goren and Jonathan Noble Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 11:01 GMT

The court hearing into the spy scandal surrounding Ferrari and McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan has been adjourned until tomorrow following a preliminary hearing in London's High Court today.

But despite reaching no firm conclusions this morning, the hearing did at least confirm some of the facts in the case.

Ferrari's action is being taken against Coughlan and his wife Trudy Coughlan, who is now alleged to have taken the 780-page Ferrari document at the centre of the controversy to a photocopying shop near Woking to be reproduced.

It was a staff member from the photocopying shop who tipped off Ferrari about the matter when they saw that the documents were confidential and belonged to the Maranello team.

Ferrari's lawyer confirmed: "We would not have found out about it were it not from a tip-off by the photocopying agency."

Applications were made at the hearing to follow up on the search order applied for last week to allow computer disks found at Coughlan's house, and images taken off his computer, to be further analysed.

But the case was delayed until tomorrow because Coughlan, who was present but did not speak, wants clarification about self-incrimination privileges and how they related to the ongoing legal investigation taking place in Italy against Nigel Stepney.

The hearing also confirmed that McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale was aware that Coughlan had the documents.

However, there was no definitive answer on whether Neale was told about the situation before Ferrari's legal action against the Coughlan's began or after.

Ferrari's lawyer said: "It is unclear when and how Neale was told about the documents."

Ferrari said that there was no application for legal investigation against Neale, but said that the team were in correspondence with him.

The team's lawyer also said that there were inconsistencies between the dates of events that Coughlan had told them about and the dates of evidence from the photocopying shop.

During today's hearing Ferrari's lawyers also requested the court to award Ferrari with the costs of the search order rather than wait to determine costs at the end of the legal process.

Coughlan's lawyers objected and argued that the defendants had fully co-operated with the order, to which Ferrari's lawyer responded: "they have received what is not theirs, they have kept it, they have behaved disgracefully."

However the judge, taking note of Coughlan's co-operation, denied Ferrari's request to award costs today and deferred it to a later date.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hmmm , interesting , Now what if the roles where reversed , i can't imagine an italian turning in Ferrari for having mclaren documents photocopied..... based on the current pace of Ferrari's F1 , those documents would come in handy right about now ...@ Mclaren
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,351 Likes on 1,985 Posts

How stupid can you be.

"Here honey, take this down to Kinko's and have them copy it".
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Now why do i have to run to Kinkos , I'm An F1 driver for god's sakes...
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-11-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default White powder answers due next month

By Michele Lostia and Jonathan Noble Friday, July 13th 2007, 10:02 GMT

The investigators looking into Nigel Stepney's activities at Ferrari are not expecting to reveal full details of what the mysterious white powder at the centre of the controversy is until the start of next month.

Although much of the focus on the espionage side of things has focused on McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan this week, the Italian investigation into the sabotage claims that kick-started the whole affair is still progressing.

But Modena district attorney Giuseppe Tibis has said he expects tests on the white powder, discovered on Ferrari's cars prior to the Monaco Grand Prix, only to be concluded in the next few weeks.

"As far as I know it's not calcium phosphate, not at all," Tibis was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "On August 3 or 4 everything will be revealed: the substance, its concentration and its effects."

Tibis added that should Stepney's actions warrant a court case, court hearings would not begin until the end of this year.

"The possible first hearing?" he said. "If everything fits, as I think, we'll be able to be ready by the end of the year at most."

Correspondence that was confiscated from Stepney's house was opened by officials yesterday, although it appears that the paperwork produced nothing out of the ordinary.

Barbara Pini, a lawyer assisting Stepney, said: "There were five envelopes: bills, bank balances, receipts. There was the payment - and therefore the proof - of the journey to the Philippines.

"What was lacking was the letter of his sacking by Ferrari, which was what we were most interested in. Maybe it's still at the post office."
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Stepney is claiming no knowledge of the documents or how Coughlan got it ..@ Mclaren . If so , there is another involved @ Ferrari as the documents are to the 2007 Ferrari , complete build sheet , it also appears that Mclaren was not using the info to build a car , but attempting to understand what makes the Ferrari work in order to Protest them. This was done shortly after the Australian GP , Hence leading to the speculation that Mclaren might have had these documents from as early as feb/march, long before stepney came into the picture....

Ferrari after hearing Mclaren had the documents, possibly thought Stepney was involved due to his close relationship with Coughlan , Hence the lock down on Stepney, of course this is all based on what stepney has said and what as now been presented to be true, as to the fact that he ( stepney) was not the one giving couglan the info and never knew he had anything on ferrari , which was previouisly confirmed by coughlan before his court deal with Ferrari.

Stepney linked with Couglan was to setup a super team to make an Approach to Honda , If so , he is only guilty of bad timing ..

There are more tears to come for sure ........

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-13-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney could face court action

So it does not appear they have anything on stepney linking him to the coughlan Mclaren spy ring .

Saturday 14th July 2007

Nigel Stepney could find himself in court by the end of the year if the current Italian investigation determines he has a case to answer.

Stepney has this week stepped out of the spotlight as the focus has been on McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, who along with wife Trudy, faced a preliminary hearing at London's High Court on Tuesday in relation to the theft of technical information.

Then the FIA announced they were summoning McLaren to an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council later this month where they will answer a charge of "unauthorised possession of documents...belonging to Ferrari".

In the meantime, the investigation that revolves around Stepney, sacked last week as Ferrari's head of performance development, is ongoing.

Stepney faces claims of sabotage, with a suspicious white powder discovered in, on or around the Ferrari cars prior to the Monaco Grand Prix.

Tests are being conducted on the powder, with Modena district attorney Giuseppe Tibis confirming: "On August 3 or 4 everything will be revealed: the substance, its concentration, its effects."

If a conclusive link is found between Stepney and the powder, that will lead to a court date being set.

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Tibis added: "If everything fits, as I think, we'll be able to be ready by the end of the year at most."

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-14-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney warned Coughlan of Ferrari floor

By Jonathan Noble and Steve Cooper Thursday, July 19th 2007, 14:22 GMT

Nigel Stepney emailed McLaren's chief designer Mike Coughlan on the eve of the season to tip him off about Ferrari's movable floor design, this week's Autosport magazine reveals.

McLaren will face an extraordinary meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council next week to face charges of 'fraudulent conduct' over the possession of secret Ferrari documents from March to July this year.

The matter was originally only thought to relate to a 780-page Ferrari technical dossier, which McLaren said Coughlan had in his possession only from the end of April.

However, a reliable source has revealed to this week's Autosport magazine that the March date the FIA has referred to relates to early contact between Stepney and Coughlan.

In particular, the source says it relates to a specific email that Stepney sent to Coughlan, revealing Ferrari's floor design and tipping the McLaren designer off about taking possible action about it.

Although it is not known if Coughlan passed on this information to the team, McLaren did ask for a rule clarification about Ferrari's movable floor design at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

That action resulted in the FIA changing its floor tests and outlawing the design Ferrari ran at the time - which is believed to have hindered their form.

The background to McLaren's actions in Melbourne will likely play a key part in the FIA World Motor Sport Council hearing next week, as the sport's governing body faces the task of working out whether or not the team did anything wrong.

Autosport also reveals that the Surrey copy shop that tipped off Ferrari about Coughlan having the 780-page dossier was asked to scan the information in order to transfer it into electronic format and in to a computer disc.

It is understood that after the information had been put on disk, the actual Ferrari document was shredded and burned in Coughlan's back garden.

Coughlan is understood to have been advised to destroy the document after showing a glimpse of it to McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale at a golf club. It is not known, however, when this incident took place.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,351 Likes on 1,985 Posts

That's what I suspected. How else would McLaren know Ferrari had a moveable floor at the 1st GP of the year? You can't see it, they have no data acquisition on the F-car... you can photograph the car all you want, but it moves at the upper range of speed.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

and I thought that Ron Dennis did not know anything about the communications ....
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
and I thought that Ron Dennis did not know anything about the communications ....
Yeah, I'm sure Ron had no idea...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney says not to blame for leaked data

Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 12:34 GMT

Former Ferrari engineer Nigel Stepney continued to protest his innocence on Tuesday regarding the Formula One spying controversy.

Stepney was accused of passing Ferrari information to McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, who has since been suspended by the world championship leaders.

"I did not take any designs away from Ferrari. Someone passed on the designs but it wasn't me," Stepney told Italy's La Repubblica.

"I do not want to involve other colleagues. I know one part of the story, not all. Ferrari know the whole story."

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) ruled last week that although McLaren had Ferrari data in their possession, there was insufficient evidence that they had gained any benefit from it, therefore no penalty was imposed.

However, the FIA reserved the right to punish McLaren if further proof emerged with exclusion from the 2007 and 2008 championships. It said it may also ban Stepney and Coughlan.

Ferrari have taken legal action in Italy and England against Stepney and Coughlan.

The Italian action against Stepney, who was sacked by Ferrari, is set to progress after court officials in Ferrari's home town of Modena returned from holiday.

The action includes accusations of sabotage against Stepney.

Italian and British media have mentioned a mysterious white powder that was allegedly found in the petrol tanks of the Ferrari race cars six days before this year's Monaco Grand Prix.

Ferrari have not commented on the matter but Stepney said he had been set up.

"They put the powder in my trouser pocket while I was taking a shower," Stepney said without stating who he meant by "they".

"I am ready to to be heard (by the court) at any moment," added Stepney, who said he had already found another job far away from Italy and Formula One.

McLaren are 27 points clear of Ferrari with seven races remaining in a championship led by their 22-year-old British rookie Lewis Hamilton.

His teammate, double world champion Fernando Alonso, is two points adrift, with Ferrari's Brazilian Felipe Massa third, a further nine points back.

Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 12:34 GMT

Former Ferrari engineer Nigel Stepney continued to protest his innocence on Tuesday regarding the Formula One spying controversy.

Stepney was accused of passing Ferrari information to McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan, who has since been suspended by the world championship leaders.

"I did not take any designs away from Ferrari. Someone passed on the designs but it wasn't me," Stepney told Italy's La Repubblica.

"I do not want to involve other colleagues. I know one part of the story, not all. Ferrari know the whole story."

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) ruled last week that although McLaren had Ferrari data in their possession, there was insufficient evidence that they had gained any benefit from it, therefore no penalty was imposed.

However, the FIA reserved the right to punish McLaren if further proof emerged with exclusion from the 2007 and 2008 championships. It said it may also ban Stepney and Coughlan.

Ferrari have taken legal action in Italy and England against Stepney and Coughlan.

The Italian action against Stepney, who was sacked by Ferrari, is set to progress after court officials in Ferrari's home town of Modena returned from holiday.

The action includes accusations of sabotage against Stepney.

Italian and British media have mentioned a mysterious white powder that was allegedly found in the petrol tanks of the Ferrari race cars six days before this year's Monaco Grand Prix.

Ferrari have not commented on the matter but Stepney said he had been set up.

"They put the powder in my trouser pocket while I was taking a shower," Stepney said without stating who he meant by "they".

"I am ready to to be heard (by the court) at any moment," added Stepney, who said he had already found another job far away from Italy and Formula One.

McLaren are 27 points clear of Ferrari with seven races remaining in a championship led by their 22-year-old British rookie Lewis Hamilton.

His teammate, double world champion Fernando Alonso, is two points adrift, with Ferrari's Brazilian Felipe Massa third, a further nine points back.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney to press ahead with autobiography

By Jonathan Noble Monday, October 8th 2007, 16:09 GMT

Nigel Stepney is pressing ahead with plans to publish his autobiography next year.

The former Ferrari mechanic, who has been at the centre of the spy controversy between Ferrari and McLaren, is hoping to publish the book himself early next year.

It comes just a week after original publisher Red Mist Books announced it was no longer involved in the book.

Stepney has set up his own website for the launch of his autobiography, with all proceeds from sales of 'Red Mist' going to charity.

The website advertising the book, said: "After being dropped rather abruptly by my previous publisher, I am continuing to write my autobiography and have made alternative arrangements for its publication early next year.

"Despite opposition it will still be called RED MIST which aptly describes my present demeanour. Proceeds from the sale of my book will go to Great Ormond Street Hospital for children.

"This is a place that has become close to my heart after working with the doctors there in the past."
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney signed by Gigawave company

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 10:32 GMT

Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney will return to employment in motorsport as the Director of Race Technologies at on-board camera company Gigawave.

Stepney has been out of work since he was sacked by Ferrari in the middle of last year, on the back of suspicions of sabotaging the team's cars ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix. His departure also came amid the spy scandal that would dominate Formula One's headlines throughout 2007.

Now, just a few days after Stepney said that he was looking at returning to motorsport at the grass roots level, he has confirmed his plans.

A statement issued by Gigawave said about Stepney's position: "The position will cover all areas of Gigawave Ltd's involvement in motorsport, including the continual development of its on-board camera systems that are used in major worldwide race series

"Gigawave Ltd feels that an engineer of Nigel's calibre and experience can only benefit the business's future technological development."

As well as their business activities in motorsport, Gigawave will run a team in the FIA GT championship this year, running an Aston Martin DBR9.

Stepney said in an interview with Sky Sports that he was no longer interested in working in F1. "I've got a lot of other more interesting opportunities going back into the grass roots of motor racing," he explained.

"Don't get me wrong, Formula One I've worked in for many years. I've enjoyed it, I've made a living out of it, it's been a very good experience in life, but I think I prefer to go into a sort of a grass roots racing again."

The FIA said last year that it would invite Stepney to show why he should not be banned from motorsport "for a lengthy period."
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Stepney to face FIA as Coughlan punished

By Jonathan Noble and Michele Lostia Thursday, February 14th 2008, 11:19 GMT

Former Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney is to meet the FIA soon to explain his role in last year's F1 spy scandal before any punishment is handed down, with a sanction already believed to have been imposed on McLaren's suspended chief designer Mike Coughlan.

Sources have revealed that Stepney could face up to a two-year ban from international motor racing for his part in the exchange of information between Ferrari and McLaren last year.

Autosport.com understands that Coughlan has already been punished by the FIA following an apology to the governing body and Ferrari, although there are no details on what sanction he has been given.

The FIA has made it clear that it has no comment on the matter at this stage.

Stepney had been due to meet the FIA's legal department last week but the meeting was postponed because of unforeseen circumstances. A new meeting will be rescheduled for the near future.

Despite the FIA's unwillingness to comment officially on its plans, president Max Mosley wrote a letter to Italian publication Autosprint this week explaining that it was important Stepney and Coughlan had the chance to defend themselves.

This was in response to an open letter published in the magazine a fortnight ago asking why Stepney had not been questioned by the FIA and why he was not banned from FIA sanctioned events.

In the letter Mosley wrote: "No one can be sentenced without having first had the opportunity of defending himself. This is a fundamental legal principle."

He added: "You are wrong in saying that his guilt is an unquestionable fact before he's had the opportunity to defend himself. In condemning someone without giving him the chance to be heard, you deny the justice that is the right of everyone, whatever their responsibilities."

It is understood that in the wake of the spy scandal, the FIA is considering implementing a licencing system, similar to that used for drivers, for all personnel in F1. This would allow them to withdraw licences from - and effectively ban - people who breach FIA regulations.

Quick Reply: Analysis: the remarkable Stepneygate saga