Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone pulling a 42 foot gooseneck race trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We pull our 42' Haulmark with gear and one car with your exact vehicle. The trailer and load is about all it can take. I wouldn't want to do it with two cars....
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 AM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a DRW without question,
I have a 38 ft goose enclosed with extra high side walls. Loaded with 1 car, 70 gal of fuel, 3 sets of tires and rims, spare brakes, body parts, gen, 2 nitro bottles, etc. a very heavy trailer when loaded. I first started with my one ton single wheel Dodge with a cummins. It did the job but was unstable around corners and very scary to drive, I was more nervous about getting to the track than racing. Of course I did have a rear wheel come off once at 70 MPH on I-25 with the loaded trailer not fun.(shop that rotated the tires the day before forgot to check one wheel)

After test driving both the new Ford F450 DRW power stroke dual turbo and the new Dodge DRW with the new 6.7 cummins and 6 spd auto trans there was no question as to which was the better tow truck. Dodge hands down. I have pulled my trailer to 3 tracks so far Utah, Nebraska, and Colorado, it pulls my trailer at 85 mph with no problems and is very stable. It is not just a little better than a single wheel it is night and day different. The Ford has more creature comforts that are really nice but I didn't buy it for my daily driver so I chose the one that I felt would tow the best.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:23 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 43 ft Chapparall which I pulled behind a Chevy crew cab dually. Only hauled one car, but was fairly heavy with a full workshop, spares, full awning and the like. Rock steady and reasonably quick, as a ticket for 89MPH proved. Sure would have liked a diesel engine at the time though. The 454 really drank the petrol, even unladen. 6 or 7 MPG was about all I could get out of her.

For safety dake, I would never tow a heavy trailer with anything but a dually.

Quick Reply: Anyone pulling a 42 foot gooseneck race trailer?