GPS antenna installation location

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Stacey
Yes, AIM wants it mounted outside with a clear view of the sky; inside is not recommended (though not impossible) as the software modeling is based on an exterior mount (I suspect either works, but outside is more reliable and hence desirable).
Anyway, I am going to mount near the wipers but need to figure out the routing through the firewall.
Your idea is a good one, too, as I may not want the antenna out in the weather all of the time. Since the antenna base is magnetic, 'storing' it on the cage bar is a good idea. Thanks
Off to LCMT for Monday-Wednesday, then Friday-Sunday Calabogie, which sounds like a great track.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Eric
I am having trouble finding the 'under the dash through the trunk' route.
Can you tell me where you went through the firewall into the trunk?
Thanks
Rick, IIRC it went like this:
Mount the GPS where you want it. Remove the wide plastic cover near the hinges in the trunk, exposing the wiper motor etc. Run the wire toward the passenger side then in to the car. Zip tie the wire. Then, I think you need to remove the dash to easily get the wire from the inside.* Then run the wire to the right side of the dash, down into the door jam area, then down into the footwell, and under the floormat to wherever you need it.

*To remove the dash, remember there's a nut in the center holding the dash down. You need to remove the clock to get in there to remove the nut. (hint- don't try to pull or pry the clock out. Pull out the tach or speedo, then push the clock out).
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I did mine similar to this, it works great.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I ran my GPS thru the trunk area (under passenger side of dash), then mounted it next to the wiper stalks. No cutting or drilling or anything like that. Works for me.

And yes, my wipers are on the right hand side. Much better, but that's another story...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you, Eric.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Stacey
Yes, AIM wants it mounted outside with a clear view of the sky; inside is not recommended (though not impossible) as the software modeling is based on an exterior mount (I suspect either works, but outside is more reliable and hence desirable).
Anyway, I am going to mount near the wipers but need to figure out the routing through the firewall.
Your idea is a good one, too, as I may not want the antenna out in the weather all of the time. Since the antenna base is magnetic, 'storing' it on the cage bar is a good idea. Thanks
Off to LCMT for Monday-Wednesday, then Friday-Sunday Calabogie, which sounds like a great track.
See you at Calabogie. Hopefully I'll be well enough to actually drive this time. Diagnosis after Tremblant: pneumonia.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sjanes
See you at Calabogie. Hopefully I'll be well enough to actually drive this time. Diagnosis after Tremblant: pneumonia.
Pneumonia? Wow - you really were sick and not just reluctant to have dinner with us.
Joanie, our younger son and his pal will be with me. We are staying at the Calabogie Lodge (IIR) on the lake. Looking forward to burning lots of fuel - 20 hours of towing and 6 track days.
I hope you can show me around the 23(?) turns!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression the AIM systems did not work with the 993 because it cannot "talk" to the ECU. However they are plug and play with 996s ? I have a 993tt. I'd like to get a GPS system in there. Can you post the system model number you bought Rick ? Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyT
I was under the impression the AIM systems did not work with the 993 because it cannot "talk" to the ECU. However they are plug and play with 996s ? I have a 993tt. I'd like to get a GPS system in there. Can you post the system model number you bought Rick ? Thanks
Hi Andy
Good to hear from you.
I acquired the AIM dash with my car, so there is a lot I don't know about it. More importantly, I don't have it connected to the ECU, just taking signals from tach, speedometer, and using gear calibration. You can add lots of sensors, but I am not all that interested (I know, I know - I have the world's most expensive speedo/tach/shift lights/GPS timing and track system).
I think there is a differnec between the 1995 993 (OBDI) and post 1995 (OBDII) that is relevant here. But, more importantly, you can and should talk with AIM directly (who has been great for tech support, even though I am not the original owner) support@aimsports.com
Sorry I could not be more specific.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rick

Quick Reply: GPS antenna installation location