Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for front mount oil cooler recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007 | 11:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Don't think so...

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2007 | 11:49 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sean,

I am still experimenting with these two front bumpers. The one with the splitter created some significant oversteer in the climbing esses at VIR. I have been on some speedway courses lately (Rockingham, Lowes) that have relatively flat, low grip, infields and it seems to be a benefit. I'll be at the Glen this summer and try both to see what happens. I don't think the splitter will be a benefit. Who knows? When does increased grip on the front wheels outweigh the increase in drag. ???

Old 07-02-2007 | 01:51 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I didn't have any trouble getting my IROC/RSR bumper to fit with the Mocal cooler and brake ducting.
Old 07-02-2007 | 01:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

It would be my estimation that the first bumper Keith pictured would be the most aerodynamic. The RSR type has a negative sloping profile on the sides that is a perfect area to create some amount of lift. A splitter mitigates that, but at ther cost of more grag. The Ruf type removes the "shelf" from the bumper bar protruding foreward that air pressure would build up under (lift), and cleanly pushes all the air to the sides. Nothing to catch air on it , unless you add the splitter. Then the combination of smooth aero and lack of lift is augmented by the downforce created by the splitter.

At the speeds a G stock car would be capable of, you might not notice a difference between them, in terms of handling anyway. If I had to guess, I'd say the Ruf is not only slipperier, but would give you more room behind for plumbing, bracketry, etc.
Old 07-08-2007 | 10:25 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I recently installed a second oil cooler in my 951. Originally I installed a Mocal, only to find that it was defective right out of the box and had a sizeable leak at the end of the third row from the bottom. I found this out the hard way -- I lost about half a quart within 10 seconds of the first turn of the key after the install. I then received a Setrab as a warranty replacement, as the size Mocal cooler I needed was not in stock at BAT. My overall impression looking at the two is that the Setrab appears to be more robust. It's noticeably heavier, which I presume is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Looking for front mount oil cooler recommendations