Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The importance of video and data for newbie racers -- and tips on how to improve

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The importance of video and data for newbie racers -- and tips on how to improve

I have been a big fan of video as a newbie driver in DEs, because I believe that it is very easy for people to misremember or mispercieve what is going on.

Now that I have started racing, I think it is even more important, particularly in a spec series. Red mist, or rather simply the "excitement" of being in a very crowded field, can cause you to think you are doing one thing, but later realize you are doing something else when you watch the videos.

I am finding that my perceptions of the race, and my performance (or lack thereof ) are changing with each time I watch the videos. I am also seeing little tricks that really make a difference.

There is simply so much to learn, that it seems wise to focus on one or two things during each race so that you do not become overwhelmed trying to "fix" everything.

Seems to me that I need to focus on (1) qualfiying (or rather, dealing with traffic management so that I qualify better) and (2) starts to begin with.

Do any of you more experienced racers have thoughts on how newbies can best improve their performance in races?

My issues do not primarily involve lack of driving skill, but rather racecraft and the fact that I am still "too" polite and too concerned about self-preservation (i.e., I don't want dents in my car).

Any help and advice based upon your beginning days would be greatly appreciated.

Also, many thanks for Cris Brady for being so kind and willing to help me out so much at the races. It is greatly appreciated. Guys like you, Jason Scott, Jim B., and many of the people active in this forum, are part of the reason I like this sport so much.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like you need to get into some good fender-benders, so you can get over that whole "no-dents" thing! LOL

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I am less experienced as well, but I have seen some improvements on my starts. I now try to follow a faster car through the first turn as they can clear a path.

If you like video, have someone film you while following you for a few laps. It can be more eye opening than your own video.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I am just a low scum beginner DE dude but before I go do a DE I have a few video's of the track, Sebring in my case, that I watch. I study the track layout paper I hae and then before I go out I take a moment and do a lap or so in my mind.

Hey it's better than thinking about work!

Quick Reply: The importance of video and data for newbie racers -- and tips on how to improve