Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to replace 996 coolant tank (expansion tank)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to replace 996 coolant tank (expansion tank)

Has anyone replaced a 996 coolant tank and know the steps to release it from the car?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

1) This is not the correct forum for this, you need to go to the 996 forum.

2) Yes, many people have, and if you search, you will find a ton of info on this subject.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darren, I think your thread should read more like what your asking: " I took my track prepped 996 to a DE during a pretty hot day at SP. My coolant tank took a dump. Anyone have experience replacing it and is there an upgrade for track use?

Me, not sure on the subject. I think Kam just went through this. Maybe some of the wet cup guys have an improved solution and the "racing" forum may shed some light on this problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When they start turning yellow you are on short notice for leaks. Use a mirror and look on the bottom along the ripples that are formed in the tank. If you see fine lines or white crust its time.

Remove by taking the black plastic mounting bracket off the top first then unhook all the hoses. Removing the black plastic mount gives you some room to twist the tank around and get to things. You will need to wiggle and riggle and move all the stuff nearby out of the way to do it. Take you time and keep in mind that it will come out and a new one back in. Everything about changing it is a little bit of a bitch but someone that has done a few can swap them out in under an hour. Some of the hose clamps are hard to remove and install without a cable type remote clamp tool but again they can be done. I have swapped them out at the track with basic hand tools.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I was finally able to get the new one in yesterday after unbolting the rear motor mounts -- the bad news is that the car is still doing exactly what it was doing before -- after it gets up to temp the coolant level increases until it starts coming out of the cap. And it seems like its also leaking someplace around the bottle, but obviously not the bottle since that is new.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the cap bad? Did you replace it too? if it is good you might want to check you cooling fans. If they don't come on due to fuse or bad stat the car will overheat when sitting. Is the system over filled? Does the leaking stop after a while? I am no X-purt by any measure and am just thinking of normal stuff that craps out.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I replaced the cap with the updated version. The cooling fans are coming on fine. It's not over-filled because I topped it off just enough to get the light to go out. Basically now I fill it up, drive around the block, and there is a trail of coolant. It doesn't seem to leak while sitting still though. It's really difficult to see in there...

Quick Reply: How-to replace 996 coolant tank (expansion tank)