Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR at Sears Poi... oops infineon

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I am surprized every year by how much fun the Infineon race is to watch. And I can't stand the regular NASCAR oval racing!!! I think the key is that NASCAR is just about a SPEC series which keeps the cars close and you get lots of passing and strategy that you can see played on right in front of you!!! Good Stuff!!

Compare it to F1---

My $.02

CKKrause
Old 06-25-2007, 05:46 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing NASCAR does to make it tight is they don't use local yellows. Any time a car spins they throw a full-course caution to bunch everybody up. I'm not sure that's road racing but it is entertaining (as long as it's not my car getting bunched up and banged around!)
I'm not so sure JPM would "spank" the 20 or the 24. Jimmy Johnson held his own with JPM when they got into a scrum, and he's no match for Stewart or Gordon.
Cheers
Randy
Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DHinkle
Is there any doubt that America would love a modern "Trans Am" series racing road courses with Mustangs, Camaros & Challengers? Nascar has the marketing strength to support their series but a good road course race beats virtually all Nascar tracks.
It is called Grand Am Daytona Prototypes. Grand Am is run by the France faimly of NASCAR.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
It is called Grand Am Daytona Prototypes. Grand Am is run by the France faimly of NASCAR.
I hate to admit- the UGLY spec-type cars have been making for some close racing.

The GrandAm cars are as close to TransAm as we have for now. You have to think someone is going to spec out acid-dipped, stock bodied V8 muscle series for the Stang, Camaro and Challenger.

Does Paul Gentilozzi still own TransAm? That fizzled into nothing...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In general I'm not a NASCAR guy, but it was a fun race to be at and watch. I was happy to see Juan take it, even Boris said it was cool.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

True, DP's are as close to "spec racing" as we have today and it helps GT racing, which is my passion. It's amazing to see how Nascar has risen to the top of US Motorsports surpassing IRL and some really great series of years past. The business model of Nascar is true genius. I just wish we could get better sports car racing coverage and growth in the U.S. It's improving and will grow but can never approach the Nascar machine in the next 20 years.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of Kyle Petty. My wife was at the bike shop here in Charleston, SC. While waiting to get her bike fixed, she kept looking at this guy with a pony tail and thought he looked familiar. She finally walked up and said do I know you? He said, Mam, I don't know, I'm Kyle Petty. Then it hit her! She said he was as nice as could be and got his autograph for me. The kids were laughing all the way home.

Quick Reply: NASCAR at Sears Poi... oops infineon