Sponsored by:

$320 for a tech inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
Try us Rudtners we're a PCA approved tech site. Also we have Saturday hours, usually 7:30-12:00 or 1:00, the LIRR is close by if you have to leave the car.

oops just noticed someone already gave us a mention

thanks tim for the info. freeport on a saturday i could do. i am usually out that way on weekends. i was checking the website and unless i am blind i didnt see where you guys are specifically located.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
Try us Rudtners we're a PCA approved tech site. Also we have Saturday hours, usually 7:30-12:00 or 1:00, the LIRR is close by if you have to leave the car.

oops just noticed someone already gave us a mention
Now you tell me about saturdays!! I just made an appointment to drop my car off next monday with Sonny to swap some parts and tech Vinny's old car for 7/6. Now that i am in LB i may have to stop going north and start going east.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
SB
Instructor

I second Pepe Porsche. Excellent services and they'll throw in an inspection for free. I live in Brooklyn and I drive 1hour to get my car serviced there.

Originally Posted by tocho1
PepePorsche in White Plains is only 30 mins from NYC and they'll do it for free. That's how I become their client. Great service. Manhattan Motorcars (if that it the one u r referring to?) I will never go again.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Tim
Racer

i was checking the website and unless i am blind i didn't see where you guys are specifically located.
Thanks for the heads up... I guess when I updated the website, I lost the "location" page.. Ill fix that..

for now here is where we are Rudtners location
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
Living in NYC and working long weekday hours I find it difficult to find a place for a tech inspection. The only place that is easily accessible in Manhattan that I know of is Manhattan Motorsports. They are the only authorized Porsche dealership here in the city. IS it not completely crazy to try and charge that much money for a tech inspection?! I think most people are closed on weekends around long island and such. any suggestions?
Tech inspections down here (Dallas) are FREE. That's ZERO dollars. Both P-car dealers as well as the Ruf center are happy to keep their customers on the track.

$300+ is insane...

-td
Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

All the local dealers int he Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area are FREE for tech inspections. However I was told NOT to take my 2006 997S to the dealer for tech inspections because they log this into my file and it might affect my warranty.

Dealer says no....anyone know the real truth?

The independant Porsche performance shops like Dave White's in Tampa charge $90 for tech inspect.

Last edited by mdrums; 06-23-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work for a dealer in VA and the last thing we would want to do is void a warranty. this does two things. 1. Pisses our customer off to no end and he in turn sours 9 other people to us as well 2. chases a paying costumer away. Dealers get paid for warranty work too. We do free inspections and do not record them.

Have fun, drive your cars and bring them to us when they break.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Independents in Northern NJ will do free techs for regular customers, or a new customer who is in for other work. Some will charge ($50 - $75?) for a customer they never have seen before and may never see again, who only wants a tech inspection.

Our Region also holds a free tech about 1-2 weeks prior to our events for any attendee of that event. These are held in the evening at a shop with lifts, etc. utilized (rotates amongst shops in the Region).
Old 06-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
That is NUTS! $20-30 for a Tech Insp. at Zotz in Winter Park, FL.
And 5 miles up the road from Zotz, the Porsche dealer (Porsche of Orlando) comps this inspection.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, so for $320. you get lubed + the inspection. In So Cal literally every independent shop performs them for free....
Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 PM
JayP
Pro

Some shops don't know what a 'DE inspection' is... I ran into this several years ago.

I was looking for an indy shop to tech my car (local dealers weren't friendly and I was in warranty.) A coworker's husband worked at a family owned shop close by. I called the husband, said it was a non-state, DE safety inspection. Sounded like he was up for an hour labor for 15 minutes of tech.

I was intercepted by the husband's dad, the owner. I explained the same to him and once he understood the tech was for a driving event, he decided he didn't want to do it. He explained we needed to check every component at-speed on a dyno. "Like the ones the Oldsmobile dealer's had." This went on for a good 10 minutes.

I grabbed my tech sheet, said I understood his concern and walked out.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:13 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to struggle with this as well when I lived in NYC. There are many very good shops within walking distance of the LIRR or metro north. You may as well start developing a relationship with one of them, as you will be needing their services over time. I used to use Sonny at SM Motorsports because I always found him to be honest, really thorough, reasonably priced, and very capable with the 944 turbo. That said, there are many good alternatives.

I generally found that even though I could find people to tech inspect the car on the weekend, it was usually easier to trust it to someone who knows my car, knows that they will be getting my $$ on a consistent basis, and with whom I have a relationship.

In my personal experience, if you start to randomly have people do it on a Saturday, you are likely to encounter recommendations for work that you do not need or that just don't make sense. I wish that this had not been my experience, but it simply was. I don't think that the shops responsible for this are dishonest per se, and don't necessarily think that if I was their regular customer I would have been treated unfairly over time. But, I can certainly list some instances where I was, er..., erroneously told that I must buy brake fluid flushes, etc. to get signed off within days of having flushed with super blue, etc. My favorite experience was being told that my gear oil was "black" and needed to be replaced. This would have been a great help had I not just replaced it with new Redline synthetic 1 month prior. I never got a good explanation as to why on earth they were taking out my trainy fill plug and checking the gear oil in the first place.

Quick Reply: $320 for a tech inspection!