Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Instructor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for Bill Buff. I also have to give props to my first instructor, Bob (agio) as he is amongst the best. I think though, hanging out with Bill over the past 4 or 5 years has helped me become a better instructor. He is the real deal.

BTW, when I was discussing varying problems with the GT-3's handling and brakes, Bill Buff is one of the guys I run with when I mention other GT-3's in my circle of friends so I hope that adds a little credibility to my statements.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of my instructors have been great . . . really, including the guys who have just ridden along.

Three stand out in that they gave me pieces of advice that I really needed at that time.

1. My very first instructor, Karl Haug. He put up with me as an utterly clueless noob who didn't have the slightest idea about any driving technique or even the appropriate speed to take a given corner in, and yet I was there in a 325 hp '02 996. Ouch. He was patient and I am pretty sure I made enormous strides under his tutelage. Most importantly, he did not make me feel bad about myself, and I had a good time. I should probably blame him for this addiction.

2. My second instructor, Larry Herman. I had a blast with Larry, and his personality matched well with mine. Again, I was only at my second DE, but Larry didn't 'make me feel bad about myself or my driving. I also have him to curse, I mean thank, for convincing me to get a low hp n/a 944.

3. Matt Marks. Although he really just rode along with me for one session, he rode along when I was having some serious braking problems. I think the problem was a combination of track conditions, aftermarket calipers (which I have since removed) and less than ideal tires for the track condidtions. I was really shaken up because I was having a hard time modulating my braking to keep from locking the front tires up. He talked me through my "issues" and, again, made me feel much better about my own driving.

IMHO, the best instructors are the ones who can deliver constructive criticism without making you feel like a loser.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to be stern, commanding, or superior to any student unless there is an issue where the student is not listenting to you. You never know . . the student might be better than the insructor in only a few years, and the instructor might be able to learn a few things from the student. Finally, I really cannot imagine a single instance where it would be appropriate for an instructor to yell at a student . . .
Old 06-21-2007, 04:56 PM
JayP
Pro

1: Don Istook
Don was racing an Audi S4 in 99(?) and I had him as an instructor at TWS. I was intimidated- he's been racing for years and here I was a noob with an A4 commuter car with slicks. 2 laps into driving, he asked "Do you want to drive or learn to drive fast?"
"I wanna drive fast."
"Pit In Now"
Don was straightening out the line, showing me how to get more braking zone. He was still on the throttle in places I was letting up and braking. In all, he was probably going 7/10s but still showed me more than I could take in.

2: Wayne Manor
Races a NASA Mustang. I'd been driving AWD cars in DEs for years. I bought a Mustang Bullitt and told the CI to put me in blue with an instructor. I got Wayne. He didn't know I had been solo'd and I even instructed at TWS. His ability to communicate to the student is what I try to emulate today. He gave directions that were direct, easy to understand and applauded when I did well.
I don't know if he thought I was a plant- I wasn't. I wanted to learn to drive that RWD beast.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Default Preflight!

The best instructors prepare. They ask a lot of questions before we go on track, such as:
- "How much experience have you had?" "How much in this car?" "At this track?"
- "Why are you doing DE?"
- "What to you want to accomplish during this session/event/season?"

Several instructors have done this preflight by phone or email before the event, which is useful (and very generous on the instructor's part).

I have been very fortunate with the instructors I have been assigned, in part because we talk up front. At one recent event my instructor asked what I wanted to accomplish so we spent most of the weekend working on braking. It was great fun and I learned a lot!

I don't know how the track chair in my region keeps all of us straight, but he almost always assigns me instructors who meet my needs: lots of racing experience, very aggressive, very high standards, don't talk a lot, very concrete, willing to experiment. (Actually sounds a lot like BobbyC's instructor.)

Aggressiveness and racing experience are vital because I intend to race. High standards are important because I want to improve as quickly as possible. Not too much talking is a personal thing, but I need to be able to focus on the car (and hear the tires). Concrete is good because I understand the theory; I'm there to build skills. The willingness to experiment is also important. It shows that the instructor has an open mind, which is a good thing in general. Also, I just find that kind of learning - getting the basics then tinkering - to be very effective for me.

(Al Pyatak was one of my best instructors. For those who know him, this is a typical lap around the Glen: "Not bad. That sucked. Better. Good save. That really sucked. Brake earlier, you're scrubbing off too much speed in the corner. Get on the gas. More power. That's all you have? Really? Well, don't bother braking.")
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
catchacab
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I have been lucky to have had exceptionally good instructors (Ok except one that may qualify for the other thread) the one I had last week at the Glen was a riot.

Tremendous attitude and self deprecating humor. Sixty plus and one of the fastest drivers in the region.

Great give and take between mentor and protege. By the end of the day we'd become good friends.

It was his philosophy...this is about You the student; you're here to learn so let's put the car in diff places and see how you handle it and how comfortable/uncomfortable it feels; don't be afraid to screw up; and be courteous on the track at all times. He signed me off to solo and then went around the track to observe me driving thru several turns...and later provided solid feedback. Way to go!

:
I learned more from him about driving, then five other events with different instructors combined!!! Joe makes it fun and educational. I wish I could have him in my car for atleast one session at each event.

He encourages you to try new lines, and inputs. Instructors can learn about instructing and driving (as well as life) from him.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catchacab
I learned more from him about driving, then five other events with different instructors combined!!! Joe makes it fun and educational. I wish I could have him in my car for atleast one session at each event.

He encourages you to try new lines, and inputs. Instructors can learn about instructing and driving (as well as life) from him.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by JayP
1: Don Istook
Don was racing an Audi S4 in 99(?) and I had him as an instructor at TWS. I was intimidated- he's been racing for years and here I was a noob with an A4 commuter car with slicks. 2 laps into driving, he asked "Do you want to drive or learn to drive fast?"
"I wanna drive fast."
"Pit In Now"
Don was straightening out the line, showing me how to get more braking zone. He was still on the throttle in places I was letting up and braking. In all, he was probably going 7/10s but still showed me more than I could take in.

2: Wayne Manor
Races a NASA Mustang. I'd been driving AWD cars in DEs for years. I bought a Mustang Bullitt and told the CI to put me in blue with an instructor. I got Wayne. He didn't know I had been solo'd and I even instructed at TWS. His ability to communicate to the student is what I try to emulate today. He gave directions that were direct, easy to understand and applauded when I did well.
I don't know if he thought I was a plant- I wasn't. I wanted to learn to drive that RWD beast.
Wayne is THE BEST. Incredible driver, superb instructor, and all around great human being.

Quick Reply: Best Instructor Thread