Sponsored by:

Best Instructor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Raptor - if you hang around Zone 1 I am surprised you do not know about Bill Buff. He is nearly a legend. A first class instructor of instructors.

For a wholistic approach to instructing, I'd have to nominate Tony Funicello as well.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
...of the 5 instructors I've had...
And 4 of them were at the same DE!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Raptor - if you hang around Zone 1 I am surprised you do not know about Bill Buff. He is nearly a legend. A first class instructor of instructors.

For a wholistic approach to instructing, I'd have to nominate Tony Funicello as well.

Bob, I live in God Bless Texas, so I am not familiar with the Zone 1 folks. Plus, I was not being disparaging, I was goofing around.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6

o--u--c--h

burrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6

Look who's talking! Yeah, each one would get scared because I kept clipping your left arm with my mirror as I went by.

Steve
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been lucky to have had exceptionally good instructors (Ok except one that may qualify for the other thread) the one I had last week at the Glen was a riot.

Tremendous attitude and self deprecating humor. Sixty plus and one of the fastest drivers in the region. Started off by saying, "I understand you've been here before so you drive...I'd rather not drive your car unless you want me to."

So we go out and after a few laps he sees I'm taking the standard "safe" lines taught to novices and he goes, "Hey, we're here to learn and have fun so let's experiment a little with faster lines and see which you're more comfortable with?" And so we did. And each time I nailed it just as he wanted he'd burst into hysterical laughter. Each time I missed an input or drove over the rumble strips he'd loudly giggle. On the back straight here I am doing 146 mph in 4th and he's saying "You need another gear!" Once in the off camber I braked late (as he suggested) but not hard enough and began to lose it as I turned but quickly corrected, gathered it and moved on. His response, "that was GOOD...you saw early that you'd f**ked up and saved it!" And so it went for 5 sessions. Great give and take between mentor and protege. By the end of the day we'd become good friends.

It was his philosophy...this is about You the student; you're here to learn so let's put the car in diff places and see how you handle it and how comfortable/uncomfortable it feels; don't be afraid to screw up; and be courteous on the track at all times. He signed me off to solo and then went around the track to observe me driving thru several turns...and later provided solid feedback. Way to go!

What a great time we had, and Sir thank you so much once gain.

Last edited by BobbyC; 06-20-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buff will teach you to drive. It's that simple. I've known Bill for more than 20 years and work with him numerous times--he is the real deal. He has helped many drivers become great drivers and great instructors. If you haven't experienced his instruction, you are missing one of the most qualified drivers and instructors in PCA and beyond.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would like, if I may, name the best instructor for each track I have attended this year in chronological order.

Lime Rock---- Ron S. (aka "roketman")

Watkins Glen--- Jim Lewis (aka "JimmiLew")

LCMT--- the famous Bob Rouleau

They have taught me principals and discipline in simple terms, and have shown me charisma which is also important (in my opinion) to qualify for the "best instructor" title.

Furthermore, I would like to thank all the other instructors that have sat courageously to my right, you all are a special breed....

Last edited by BostonDMD; 06-20-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another "thumbs up" for Jimmilew"/I had him as a instructor years ago and he taught me about balance and not upsettling that balance even in the rain. Smoothness counts!
Another great instructor I've had was George Dispigno of Metro PCA.
Over the years, he was the one who signed me off for yellow signoff, white and finally black. He is what instructor's aspire to become.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

John Paul jr. excellent driver & instructor !!!

He spent three days teaching me... how to balance a car !!!

And most Important... use ALL the track.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Thumbs up

My best instructor has never even sat in my car with me on the track!! But has watched me from nearly every corner of every track that I have been to ,been forced to watch many ,many in car videos .Has been a great friend,has taken awesome care of my various race cars since 1995.Basically Brillant and knows set up !I have learned more about my driving from him than anyone.Having him as a coach has been the best!!
So its time to thank him!! Thanx, PETER DAWE!!!!! xoxo
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Hugh Plumb was great, Johannes Van Overbeek had some words for me i'll never forget and Joe Ilacqua showed me what a racing line was vs DE in my early days. Larry Herman once told me "i'd trust you 3 inches off my bumper any day" after riding with me, which i'll always remember.. although his words on attacking a corner didn't make sense til a year later. Thanks Larry! All the Riesentoter guys actually.

Larry Hendrickson, a national FF guy and mentor was a great off track guy... who told me the car was nothing but a tool you use to win. And in order to win, you must be willing to sacrifice the tool. DO NOT WORRY, I don't drive like that in a PCA car.

...and probably Ken and Brian Zalner once we find the time to get to an open track day together. But once you go to the dark side you don't come back. Hahaha
Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

MJR . . . you shouldn't have said that about Larry Herman. Now he's gonna have to get a bigger helmet.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Eh, I give enough ribbing to Larry and he does deserve the good words. Although I will also flat out say that I have little doubt I would kick his *** in equal equipment! ...you know that story about the student that gets better than the teacher, right?!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MJR911
you know that story about the student that gets better than the teacher, right?!
***All to well, unfortunately. I'm gonna stop telling my secrets. There's nothing like having a student come up to you (who you likely can't remember, as we get lots of students each year), asking how they did. Then you find out they were the one that just smoked by you. ARGH!

Quick Reply: Best Instructor Thread