Sponsored by:

CG-Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

This is "THE" solution for stock belts. I am amazed when I mention it to other folks at a DE and they don't know what I am talking about. You really need the shoulder portion of the belt to be locked and tight when on the track so that the belt holds your torso against the seat back. Been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
+1...been doing this for years...but without the twisting of the lap portion. Seat all the way back and reclined...lap portion tight and then follow the procedure for me. Works like a charm.

Andy
Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

A 993 that I bought years ago had one of these in one of the storage pockets. Didn't really know what it was for at first. Once I heard about it from a friend at an autox the lightbulb when off and I realized what I had. Tried it vs locking the seat belt as described here by several folks and found the CG on it's own to be useless. All it did was lock the lower lap portion of the seat belt, your torso was still loose.

The free solution locks the inertia real behind your shoulder and by default the lap portion is tight as well. I threw away the CGlock thing after that experience.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
+1

This is "THE" solution for stock belts. I am amazed when I mention it to other folks at a DE and they don't know what I am talking about. You really need the shoulder portion of the belt to be locked and tight when on the track so that the belt holds your torso against the seat back. Been doing this for as long as I can remember.
i dont understand that, in an OEM seat the body flayers around too much, no leg and side bolster support means a need for physical re-positioning before corner entry

a single strap holding down your chest is not going to do anything for you moving sideways other than cut into your neck really badly.

perhaps if you have really wicked OEM bolstered seats this might work, in some of the more.. "economical" cars thats rarely the case.

and the performance gained is all psychological at best, since your leg ends up doing most of the work ANYWAY prepping up against the door.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Fork,

Just to be clear. We are talking about how best to hold yourself in place at a track when all you have are the stock seat belts. Of course a 6pt harness and race seat is best. FWIW I do have the sport seats in my car and yes with the seat belt pre-tightened I am held in place much better than if my seat belt was loose on the inertia real.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you've driven a car with a full containment seat (including deep thigh bolsters and shoulder support) and a proper 6 or 7 point harness, you will realize just how lacking ANY stock setup is.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Ha...I made the comment about not needing one and using old manual method and then I found out today my wife ordered me one as a suprise.

Guess I'll try it afterall.

Andy
Old 06-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Larry, totally agree on how lacking the stock setup is. Just trying to give a tip on what you can do to make it a little better with what one already has.

If I didn't DD my 996 and drop off my 2 little ones using the back seat there would be a Roll bar, Harness and Race seats in my car without a doubt.

Last edited by Paul 996; 06-18-2007 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply: CG-Lock?