Unique livery for Flying Lizard Motorsports for Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
It's growing on me too.

Is the color scheme carried over onto the rear glass?
How would that affect rearward vision?? On one hand it might help diflect those LMP1 headlights a little and make it easier at night but I'm just guessing..
Yes, the color scheme is carried onto the rear glass. Perforations in the wrap allow rear visibility. From inside the car, it's like looking through a tinted window.

Additional photos of Monday' unveiling can be seen at the Flying Lizard web site...

Flying Lizard Motorsports

Also, note that the Lizards will be posting a live race blog and carring a live team radio broadcast during the event.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 AM
doyle
Racer

The way I see it, the livery has done exactly what livery is supposed to do, stir conversation and have people staring at it which is exactly what this thread is about. Notice how there has not been a single mention about the livery on the Corvettes or the Audi's. Design aside, I think Flying Lizard and Troy Lee have a home run for what they intended, getting people to notice. Similar to the Audi crocadile livery a few years back.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by doyle
Design aside, I think Flying Lizard and Troy Lee have a home run for what they intended, getting people to notice. Similar to the Audi crocadile livery a few years back.
Doyle, that's an excellent point. At breakfast this morning, we were commenting that the last time we remember there being a significant one-off livery in an international endurance race was 2000 Adelaide. ...the R8 croc of McNish/Capello. Good recall!

37 years on, when people think of the 917, the Pink Pig and the Hippie liveries inevitably figure in their thoughts. ...and neither even won the race.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

The way I see it, the livery has done exactly what livery is supposed to do, stir conversation and have people staring at it which is exactly what this thread is about. Notice how there has not been a single mention about the livery on the Corvettes or the Audi's. Design aside, I think Flying Lizard and Troy Lee have a home run for what they intended, getting people to notice. Similar to the Audi crocadile livery a few years back.
That is what Creation Autosportif wants.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

With respect to the rear glass, how can guys/gals behind see through or see the driver if he's frantically waiving for some reason? Looks like a safety hazard to me.

BTW I like the side views, not so much the top.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM
doyle
Racer

Originally Posted by John H
With respect to the rear glass, how can guys/gals behind see through or see the driver if he's frantically waiving for some reason? Looks like a safety hazard to me.
Same way other drivers see the Peugeot drivers waving frantically. They don't. I don't think the rules specify a clear, unobstructed rear view.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same way other drivers see the Peugeot drivers waving frantically. They don't. I don't think the rules specify a clear, unobstructed rear view.

Maybe they should. Seems unnecessarily dangerous to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM
gaijin
Racer

LIZARD LE MANS LIVERY TAKES CROWD BY STORM

Flying Lizard Motorsports unveiled Monday a custom livery for the team's No. 80 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. The design, created by Troy Lee Designs, depicts the team's familiar Flying Lizard image brought to life in full color across the Porsche's curves. The livery will be run at only one race: this weekend's 24 Heures du Mans, June 16-17 at the Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans, France.

The team offered the first glimpse of the new No. 80 today at its scrutineering appointment. Scrutineering is the formal technical inspection by the ACO of each car competing at Le Mans. It is held in historic downtown Le Mans. The livery, which had been kept hidden in the team's garage, was displayed before and after technical inspection to the thousands of sports car fans attending the event.

Seth Neiman commented on the project, "Racing at Le Mans is one of the best parts of our season and each year we try to bring a little something special to this great event. This year we've chosen to add to the spectacle with a special livery -- let's hope the Lizard brings us luck!"

On site in Le Mans for the event, Troy Lee reflected on designing the car, "I started by thinking about the Lizard's character and looked to the color and texture of real lizards for inspiration. I think a racecar should be colorful and interesting and look like it's travelling 200 mph even while it is standing still. The Porsche is a pretty aggressive car with a high and wide profile – it was a perfect surface on which to bring the Lizard to life."

He also shared his thoughts with americanlemans.com on the concept of the design and being at Le Mans for the first time.

Based in Corona, California, Troy Lee has built a significant portfolio of custom designs for all things racing: from his roots in motocross helmet, bike and gear design to race cars, production autos and even Hot Wheels. The design for Flying Lizard is the first time he has worked with an ALMS team. Currently a professional motocross and Supermoto racer himself, Troy has been a major proponent of motocross and an important part of the resurgence of Supermoto racing in the U.S. The Team TLD/Honda professional AMA Supermoto team won both the Supermoto and the Supermoto Lites championships in 2006. For more see www.troyleedesigns.com.

This weekend, Lizard drivers Johannes van Overbeek, Joerg Bergmeister and Seth Neiman will pilot the No. 80 Porsche in the team's third consecutive 24 Heures du Mans. van Overbeek and Bergmeister are partners in the team's No. 45 Porsche, which competes in the American Le Mans Series. Now at the halfway point of the ALMS season, the duo is currently second in the drivers championship, just 14 points behind Risi Ferrari Mika Salo and Jaime Melo, who will also be competing at Le Mans in the No. 97 Ferrari.

Flying Lizard will also offer a limited edition set of merchandise commemorating the custom livery. The gear is available on-site at Le Mans at the Flying Lizard retail store in the vendor village and online at www.lizardms.com/store/4.html.

Following the Lizards during Le Mans Race Week

The 24 Heures du Mans begins on Saturday June 16 at 3 p.m. CET (6 a.m. PT). Follow the Lizards' progress:

Listen to team radio transmission at www.lizardms.com/radio.htm

View images at www.lizardms.com/gallery/index.html

Read the team blog at www.lizardms.com

Listen to Radio Le Mans, available at 91.2 FM locally in Le Mans and streamed online at www.radiolemans.com

Watch MotorsTV in Europe, and SpeedTV in North America. MotorsTV will air week-long coverage and SPEED coverage begins at 5:30 a.m. PT on June 16.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Garen
Instructor

I think it looks cool. It will definitely be photographed a lot... which is the point.

+1 on the Ferrari comment. As much as I want Ferrari to do well in F1, I want the RSR's to school them in GT racing. (easier said than done for both, I suppose)

-Garen
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob C.
Yes, the color scheme is carried onto the rear glass. Perforations in the wrap allow rear visibility. From inside the car, it's like looking through a tinted window.

Additional photos of Monday' unveiling can be seen at the Flying Lizard web site...

Flying Lizard Motorsports

Also, note that the Lizards will be posting a live race blog and carring a live team radio broadcast during the event.

Bob-

Are you going to be the official photographer for the Lizzards again??

That layout will certainly let your creative juices flow!! I'll be looking for some more of your great work.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

fender doesn't lineup

http://www.americanlemans.com/Galler...0794016750.JPG
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by John H
Maybe they should. Seems unnecessarily dangerous to me.
maybe they shouldnt run in the dark either
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm, when you mix all the colors together, you get . . .?

It does kind of 'grow on you'... I think it will look better -- 'faster!'
Except yeowza Congo, yeah -- that's no 'subtle malalignment' there!

Thanks to everyone for all the great links!
Kim
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3skea
maybe they shouldnt run in the dark either
I was thinking they should move the 24 hours to Finland or something.

I guess racing in the dark is dangerous as is racing in the daylight but I still think it is silly to cover the rear window for the sake of art or a "cool" sticker package.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 AM
RSKY BIZ
Shark Slayer
Rennlist Member

Location: 'BETWEEN NORTH STAR BOROUGH...& THE CONCH REPUBLIC'
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob C.
Like the advertising films used on city bus windows --
hard to tell there is a window there, from the outside, yet visibility out is unobstructed?
Kim

Quick Reply: Unique livery for Flying Lizard Motorsports for Le Mans