NASCAR'S BILL FRANCE HAS DIED

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR'S BILL FRANCE HAS DIED

Vice chairman Bill France Jr passed away today in his home in Daytona Beach at the age of 74.

France was widely regarded as the man responsible for making NASCAR the successful series it currently is.

His father, William HC France, founded the series in 1947, but when France Jr took control in 1972, the series was still a regional affair in the Southeast and struggled to have enough coverage in the US.

In 2000, France handed the presidency of NASCAR over to Mike Helton after being diagnosed with cancer. He named his son Brian Z France the CEO and chairman of NASCAR in 2003 but still remained a member of the NASCAR board of directors.

"He had a remarkable career and an even more remarkable life," said his son Brian in a statement today. "Words cannot express how much he'll be missed by myself and the rest of our family and by the NASCAR industry overall."

Under France's leadership, International Speedway Corporation - also a business owned by his family - grew from running just Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway in 1972, into a twelve-track conglomerate that now hosts 19 of the 36 Nextel Cup races.

"He blazed so many trails for our sport," said NASCAR president Mike Helton. "He was determined to follow the vision of his father while also expanding on that vision. Over nearly four decades, he did a masterful job."

France got started in motorsports by helping his father in minor roles, moving on to flagman during races, steward and also promoting events. He was also a driver and loved motorcycles, actually racing the Baja 1000 in 1971.

France was hospitalized at least twice this year but spent his final days resting at home. His last public appearance was on February 12 in Daytona Beach in the build-up to the Daytona 500.

He is survived by his wife Betty Jane, his son Brian, his daughter Lesa France Kennedy, president of International Speedway Corporation; his brother James C France, NASCAR's vice chairman and executive vice president; and three grandchildren.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default BUSH PAYS RESPECTS

President Bush pays tribute to France

By Diego Mejia Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 13:31 GMT

The passing of Bill France Jr has been felt beyond the motorsports community, with US President George W Bush also publicly expressing his sadness and giving his condolences to the France family.

"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Bill France Jr," President Bush said in a statement from the White House.

"Bill was a legend in the world of NASCAR, whose passion and vision for stock car racing led the sport to the national prominence it enjoys today.

"Bill brought racing's excitement to millions of new fans through his steadfast and innovative leadership.

"Bill also helped ensure that the NASCAR community found many ways to support the men and women of the US Armed Forces. Our thoughts and prayers are with the France family."

Bush gave the 'Gentlemen, start your engines' command at the Daytona 500 in February 2004 during his second Presidential election campaign.

NASCAR Nextel Cup champions have also traditionally met the President at the White House in recent years.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default DRIVERS PAYS RESPECTS

Some of NASCAR's current stars, who became national and even international figures thanks to the leadership of Bill France Jr in expanding the sport, also lamented his death, which happened as they were racing at Dover.

"It's a profound loss for the sport," said Dale Earnhardt Jr. "His Dad really started NASCAR, but he's the one probably most responsible for the state of our sport today.

"He's one of those giants - very intimidating to me. I didn't know him well, but my dad was close with him, and I know that made my dad very, very proud to get close to someone that not a lot of others did."

NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion Jeff Gordon said France would have liked the race to carry on as it did.

"Well, if you were thinking about Bill at that time, I think he would have been really upset if they would have thrown a red flag for him," he said. "I'm pretty sure they did what he would have asked for.

"I can remember going to his father's funeral and at that time, seeing Bill junior just come along and just take a hold of this sport and take it to the next level. He was a real soft-hearted guy who had a real hard shell on the outside," Gordon added.

"He ran things with an iron fist, but he had a passion for this sport that a lot of people maybe didn't get a chance to see. You don't see it very often. I loved being around him. He's one of those guys you always wanted to listen to."

Former Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart also expressed his sadness at the news of France's death.

"It's just sad," he said. "You look at what he's been able to do in the time he's been with NASCAR and obviously learning from his father.

"There aren't enough words to describe what he's meant to this sport and what he's done for it. I guarantee it's the biggest loss in racing since Dale Earnhardt, and probably bigger."

Meanwhile, reigning Nextel Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was in shock when he learned the news once he finished racing at Dover.

"I just found out minutes ago, so I don't think I've had time to process it yet," Johnson said. "I just really don't know what to say right now."

Flags were half-mast at Dover International Raceway since the news of France Jr's death broke while the NASCAR Nextel Cup race was running.

Quick Reply: NASCAR'S BILL FRANCE HAS DIED