Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cup Car/GT3 Running Costs...what are we looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Naught60
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cup Car/GT3 Running Costs...what are we looking at?

Hello all, great forum. I've been a lurker for some time and I just decided to join so I could join in on the fun.

Here's my question(s)
I want to track a 996 GT3 or Cup Car for say, 12 times a year for some semi serious track time (a few club events, etc.) and I'm trying to create my budget.

—How much will tires DOT competition tires set me back per weekend? Will I go through two sets of tires if I'm driving 8/10ths?

—About how much fuel costsshould I anticipate over a weekend (Fri and Sat, or Sat and Sun).

—How much were 996 Cup Cars when new?

Cheers everyone, I look forward to some help.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple answer is, 'How much money do you have?' Someone started an equally misguided thread on the Dorki site. You don't want to start adding these costs and you certainly don't want to approach it like an accountant. This is the link http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=13677 and the thread may have resulted in a few folks putting their addiction in perspective. I believe they have entered a 12 step program. If you follow the thread down the page to Ryan you will find his costs for a 997 GT3. This information should probably not be posted in a public forum if a SO may have access and may result in some quid pro quo.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

This has been discussed in the past here, someone even posted up spreadsheets, you should search it.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the running costs for 944 spec car tallied up.

Of course that is not quite in the same league speed wise, but still great fun and very resonable.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 996GT3 which started last fall as "bone stock". I will track it @15 times this year and have completed 6 track days to date.

Track Preparation & Maintenance: $5,000 Annually
*dealer maintenance (fluid changes, etc. - spent about $1000)
*alignments & corner balance ($600 per, I prefer twice per year or every 7 events in line with tire change)
*track tires ($1300 for four, get 7 DE days out of my PS2s, now on MSPC)
*Pagid brake pads ($500-1000 per year, hope to only use one set of 4 per season)
*Cup Ducts ($250 - one time fee - hughe improvement for brake airflow)
*Rotors ($700 - will only need to replace front rotors once - use Porsche Motorsport Cross Drilled)
*SRF Fluid ($240 for 3 liters over the season; it can get pricey - but is completely worth it!
*Helmet ($800 - chose Arai GP5W - one time fee)

Track Day Costs: $5,000 Annually
*$100/day for gasoline (91 Octane here in Utah)
*$300/day for the track time per various clubs

Total Annual Budget for "bare minimum" DE time in GT3: $10,000

This winter, I plan to add the Euro Seats, Roll Cage, Motons, and a few minor upgrades. This should all run me $5,000-$7,000 on top of annual maintenance & track time costs.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

-B
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a cup is a little different - factor in 15k-20k for an engine rebuild every 100 hours or so. Also 4k for axels also every 100+ hours. Slicks $1600 a shot... also remember that the cup runs on 100 octane at $7.50 a gallon not 93 octane. A decent 996 cup runs from 2000 at $80-90 to a 2003 - 2005 which might be able to find for $100 to $130, 997 Cups will cost you $180k.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer to not find out the details and make sure to hide the data by buying with different credit cards.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Also 4k for axels also every 100+ hours.
More like every year or every other year in my experience.

The post above on cost of brake pads and rotors is way off too, rotors last about 2 races or so on a cup car, don't see why they would last longer on a heavier street GT3. Front pads only last a few races too. Brakes are a huge cost on the GT3s compared to my '73 RS which is about 1/10th the cost.

Also the cup car will cost MUCH more when (not if) you damage it. The exhaust, doors, rear bumper, and rear decklid are crazy $ and very delicate.

I ran my 1st pro race at LRP a few weeks ago (Grand-am Koni challenge in a 997 carrera, Bodymotion with co-driver Shane Lewis) and those cars are SO much more rugged and cheaper to repair than a cup car. I got hit in the rear several times, some felt pretty hard. Rear bumper was a few hundred dollars to overhaul. Cup car could have been over $3K for the carbon fiber bumper and maybe another $4K for the muffler (poor tailpipe design). I got hit hard in the Left Rear, crunching the fender and rocker panel and bending the rim lip, this cost about $1K to fix (there goes the prize money!). The left front also got damaged by my co-drover but that was not expensive either.

So make sure you have enough reserves if you want to run a GT3, and don't keep track of the costs or you may go insane
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes - This thread should be password protected so our better halves don't have access to such information
Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Analogmike - My comments were around "DE" costs only - not a race day or weekend. I run it at Miller Motor Sports Park outside Salt Lake City. I routinely hit 150mph on the front straight, and then have to push/pull through 23 turns across the 4.3 mile full track configuration. I can assure you that I push the car hard, and the costs that I represented above are factual.

The only issue I have is that my actual costs are DOUBLE my initial projections. I am having so much fun that I could care less... The only issue has been around convicning my wife not to care either. It took some time, but now she "gets" it... This is a very expensive hobby, but one that exceeded my own lofty expectations.... And in a few years, I hope to start racing... that should be fun! (Oh - I've got to get back to work to pay for all this stuff!!!!)

-B
Old 06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Still cheaper than running an offshore race boat or even owning and flying a plane!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Good point. I met a guy at a PDE last fall and he has switched from playing Polo to focusing on DE in his 997. He said that the costs are roughly the same:
*4 Polo Ponies = $80K (depreciating asset)
*Room & Board, Fees = $10K-$15K annually
Trailer/Towing costs are equal for both the car and the horses.

Interesting point... Polo anyone?

-B
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Analogmike - My comments were around "DE" costs only - not a race day or weekend. I run it at Miller Motor Sports Park outside Salt Lake City. I routinely hit 150mph on the front straight, and then have to push/pull through 23 turns across the 4.3 mile full track configuration. I can assure you that I push the car hard, and the costs that I represented above are factual.
Wow I find it amazing you can get that sort of life on your pads and rotors. Miller looks like a track that uses a lot of brakes!

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
The only issue I have is that my actual costs are DOUBLE my initial projections.
Don't sweat it, that year of 15 DEs is still less than the one rental pro race I ran, (in about the most reasonable class with Porsches), or one IMSA GT3 cup race in your own car. And you can enjoy your car on the street which is a huge benefit.

Have fun!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

The typical DE day at MMP only puts 100-200 miles on the car (depepending on how many run groups and the duration which ranges from 20-35 minutes). Also, "full" track days are few and far between. I'm paying $600 for a full track day this Thursday, but expect 3-4 hours of track time (worth it IMHO). Regarding the brakes, the track is fast and I use the brakes more to settle the car... the track is wide and has some nice sweepers... there are only a few corners that I really need to get on them...

Interesting to know the IMSA costs. I aspire to reach that level, but still have much to learn regarding my street GT3. Simply put - I'm having a ball.

BTW - I was raised in Woodbury, CT and spent MANY days at Lime Rock watching PCA events and races. I'm jealous that you now have Hairy Dog Garage in Oxford and Fahrnbacker-Loles in Danbury. That would have been really cool when I was back in High School!

-B
Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

reading this thread reminds me why I do NOT calculate/tabulate what I spend on this addicting drug that I love so much. I did it "once" and that was after I had tracked my CAB for 2-3 years. That bill was NOT pretty. I could have picked up a really nice used Boxster.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cup Car/GT3 Running Costs...what are we looking at?