Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 Pressures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Chris, R6s work well at your hot pressures, but it sounds like you are driving the car to maintain those temps. I can literally drive the ***** off of my car and still hold 35/37 with tire temps around 175~190. If you feel that you have to back off to avoid over-pressuring (not overheating) your tires, I suggest trying a lower cold setting and go out and beat the snot out of them. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Well the truth is that the car is set up with not quite enough camber because I still use it on the street. I can drive it pretty hard, but when I beat the hell out of it, the tires go away and I have to back off a tad.......its the trade off 'Course it also tends to depend on the outside temps too. Most times I can adjust my lines to make the most of the lack of alignment and that usually works pretty well. I tend to be one of the faster drivers in red so it doesn't bother me enough to worry. I'm having fun and thats what I'm there for.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Well the truth is that the car is set up with not quite enough camber because I still use it on the street. I can drive it pretty hard, but when I beat the hell out of it, the tires go away and I have to back off a tad.......its the trade off
And there's you answer. It makes perfect sense and your outside tire temps are your limiting factor. If you ever decide to throw some camber into that puppy, you'll find that you can really push them hard for an entire session, or for that matter an enduro.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh no actually my outsides aren't to bad. I run camber (negative), just not crazy camber. I run -1.5 + up front and -1.8 rear. Optimum for the 993 is closer to -3.0 but then I toast tires by the mile for street use, so I found the compromise that allows me rather good handling and still street-able. The only place I have to back out a little is Roebling, and a little at CMP. VIR is real easy on tires. I still, even with not enough camber, keep 20 degrees (or less) across the tire (inside hotter) and 6 lbs, so I can't complain (nobody'd listen anyway ) When the car becomes a track only, we'll go more camber and bigger bars and really go nuts, until then........
Old 05-27-2007, 06:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Chris, a little more camber will make a difference. What times are you getting at VIR full course on the current setup?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I finally installed the JIC Cross Competition suspension on my 993, with 600/800 lb springs and large H&R sway bars, I was able to really use the R6s and up my speeds significantly. I found that about -2.8 camber worked very well. It was still very livable on the street, which surprised me, my friends and the guy who bought the car, who uses it regularly on the streets of NorCal.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:55 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by bobt993
Chris, a little more camber will make a difference. What times are you getting at VIR full course on the current setup?
Oh believe me I know but I don't want to have to replace tires every time I come back from grocery store
I don't know what my times are at VIR lately. I hadn't been up there in a while. My last few outings have been CMP and Roebling. I tend to get stuck in a scheduling rut and frequent only a couple of tracks for a while, and then they elude me and I end up going somewhere else for a while.
In fact, I'm not sure I've been there since putting on the Pss9's, hoosiers, etc.

I used to run -3.0 degrees + in my Vdubs and they'd handle like on rails........the down side is they break free without warning so I'm okay with the car at this point.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 230ERACER
Larry...right on, 36-37 is were most all of us are operating and getting great results this year. 4 days to the Clash. are you doing any tuning on Thursday w/ NY Metro?
I was there tuning last week with Cups and Saucers. All ready to even the score with those pesty 996s from Road Atlanta.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 Pressures?