Kim Ouye shines in MX-5 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Outstanding! Congratulations.

Hey, you didn't happen to see an orange-haired guy roding a pink bicycle while you were there, did you?
Urp...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Way to go, Kim!!!

Your steering wheel incident is one of the reasons I went with NASCAR bars on my cage (for better ingress/egress) and a non-removable steering wheel.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The good news about those steering wheel incidents is that it only happens once...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um... yeah! Yeah, once!

Or you realize you don't have the wheel aligned quite right, so you voluntarily pull it off on the first available straightaway and re-orient (sorry!) it.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The steering shaft has 2 detents in it...if you lock on the the first one you get what I got...locked for a few laps....I checked it a dozen times in pre-grid...so much so my crew chief was laughing at me...hey...better safe than in the wall....

My next 2 MX-5 Cup races are Portland and Miller....we'll see how much home track advantage helped....Going to Miller this weekend and Portland next weekend...for testing and SM racing....
Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

i met crazy kim in summer of 2002 when he was tooling around in a cherry silver 993, aka silver bullet. now he's a pro racer!!!

congrats man!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

awesome!! Congrats Kim!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Kim, keep us up tod date with your racing.

I think that your purses put your membership in HWFMR at risk.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not when you offset it against the costs........
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Freakin' awesome Kim!! Congrats!! Are you racing Portland the same weekend at Chump Car? I'll be there -- hope you will be there as well - dinner on me this time
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah...we're there that weekend...guess which series is bookended throughout the weekend?....

What hotel are you guys using? I don't know the area.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I knew I was investing long term when I bought your autographed cool vest. Another couple of races and I am putting it on Ebay to buy myself a new engine.

Congrats Kim.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
See what could have happened (lap 2 of qual) while heading to the Corkscrew...

Look Ma No Hands
Hey wait a second...

A guy named Kimi did that at Sauber and now 5 years later he drivers a Ferrari F2007...

And now we have a guy named Kim who "lost" a steering wheel while driving with Mazda, where will he be in five years from now?!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Kim! Post some of your thoughts on SM racing vs the new series?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've only done one Cup race but the differences and similarities are clear.

Differences:
1) The fields are tight, far more than SM. I qualified 17th...but was only 0.8 seconds out of 7th...11 cars within 0.8 sec. Even our +65 car SFR region SMT field won't be quite that tight.

2) One model year class plus sealing things makes it easier to have cars that are equivalent. Setup and driver are even more important than in "Spec Miata".

3) You have more confidence that things are equal so you don't worry about someone walking away from you who didn't out drive you. Obviously it'll never be 100%...but I never got pulled when I thought we exited a corner equally (and I'm in the draft) like what happens in SM sometimes....

4) Durability and reliability hasn't been that great with the hardware...tranny and ABS seem to be a common failing point. KONI Challenge teams also have issues with them. With all of this electronic stuff maybe there just are more points of failure. They had hub issues but that appears to have been fixed. I expect them to get the tranny issues solved too.

5) 45 minute sprint race is more than 50% harder than a 30 minute sprint race. Going to have to drop the Krispy Kreme and pick up some weights.

6) Few used parts, costs are a LOT higher.

7) The draft is more important than in SM...or at least it feels that way.

8) They give you money at the end of the race...

9) You have an autograph session with umbrella girls standing behind you...

Similarities:
1) Hard driving. Fender on fender at times but nothing different that regional and national SM races that I've been in.

2) Better driving at the pointy end just as in a SM field. Less foolish passing attempts.

3) Aggressive start....just as in SM, we had wrecks on the first lap...at least we got past the first 8 corners though....but 3 wide driving into the first corner and such...same stuff.

4) Even with more power it's still a momentum car and you MUST carry the speed. I know where the 1.5 seconds I have to pick up are...I just have to clean some lines up and grow some larger ones.

5) We're still the red headed stepchild at the pro weekends. Bookended for practice, qualifying, and race. Qualifying 8:00AM Sat, race 4:00PM Sun...that's a wide bookshelf....I see we're bookended at Portland too.

Overall, I like it better. If SM could be that way it'd be great because of how reliable the cars are, however, the cat is out of the bag and you can't make a multi-model year class work this way.

It's also fun to run as a support race for the big boys, although I don't get to spectate as much as I'd like as we're a little busier.

I am irritated that there are so many mechanical issues with the new cars and I think it's a shame when someone can't race because of it.

Cost is still too prohibitive for a budget racer. I'm not poor, but I can't do a full season so I'm doing 3 races this year. Maybe if I give up SM next year it'll be different...but that's not yet been determined.

I wish the fields were larger. We had 28 cars, but I'm used to +60. Many parts of the race I was by myself looking for more to do than hot lapping.

Again, it's only been one race. We'll see what I think after a couple of more.

Quick Reply: Kim Ouye shines in MX-5 Cup