Old 05-15-2007 | 08:13 AM
Guns951
Race Car

38D Discuss please, or feel free to PM.
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:45 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
If you really want major power, you should consider something other than the tec3.
The TEC3 is a piece of junk. Not only does it not have the tuning abilities of a more proper system, but it also doesn't stand up to the rigors of a race environment well. We've had ours cough up it's programming multiple times during races. It's being replaced when we build a new motor with either an AEM on the budget end or a Motec.
Old 05-15-2007 | 09:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Geoffrey can go into more detail, but the tec3 will not be a good choice for a race turbo.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
Geoffrey can go into more detail, but the tec3 will not be a good choice for a race turbo.
I guess you just have to know how to use one.
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:54 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
I guess you just have to know how to use one.
My tuner knows how to use one and it's still a piece of junk. Which story would you like to hear first? The story where it cost us multiple victories because it puked out it's programming in the middle of a race? Of the story where it decided it was somehow a good idea to open up the injectors in the paddock when the battery got low on two seperate occasions, resulting in fuel running out of intake and exhaust and the 2nd occasions ending in a fire that could have hurt someone and took the car with it if not for the quick reaction of those nearby with fire extinguishers?

On a lesser note, how about the fact that you can't DOWNLOAD the freaking tune out of the box? Every time you want to make a change, you need to search your laptop for the last file you uploaded.
Old 05-19-2007 | 09:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So let me get this straight, you think the tec3 is junk because you left the power on and ran down the battery in the paddock? And then you did it a second time? If it had been installed correctly there would be a simple on/off switch in line with the Tec3.
I can’t add much to the ‘puking out its programming’ comment because it doesn’t really give me much to go on.
As for the downloading files – I will agree that I would like to be able to retrieve files but some tuners don’t want their ‘secret’ tuning files downloaded. Is it that difficult to keep track of the file on your computer?

Sounds like you had an unhappy experience(s) with your tec3, sorry about that, but those of us that are very familiar with the unit are not having those problems.
Old 05-19-2007 | 03:59 PM
jester911
Drifting

Old 05-19-2007 | 06:18 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Dear god... I was reading the "build" on this 944 GTR... you started media blasting the entire car down to the bare metal after removing all seams and holes on the car after adding a widebody kit and decided to go to a completely custom tube frame and rebuild the car from scratch.

I'm also building a DE car, but I've set a budget. I always wondered what it would be like to operate without that constraint.

I'm sure the end product will be absolutely amazing, but to me at least doing part of the work myself, building it as I am able to, and researching products instead of just buying ALL the options, is part of the fun. You aren't even driving it from shop to shop to have them do all the work, it's being trailered...

Regardless, good luck.

edit - rather ironic that you have this at the bottom of your page: "Bottom Line: After all what's the point of all that power if you can't translate it into faster lap times?"
Old 05-19-2007 | 07:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
Guns is from Houston. We'll get Veloce Raptor to instruct him. Velo ain't afraid o nuthin!

West
He is blessed with not being smart enough to be afraid.....something I am very familiar with myself.
Old 05-19-2007 | 07:31 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowside67
You aren't even driving it from shop to shop to have them do all the work, it's being trailered...
Keep in mind he is in Afghanistan....98% of the time.
Since I have done consulting work out of the country I know how it can be (except nobay was tossing bombs at me!), not much to do outside of work except read up onstuff and plan...
Old 05-20-2007 | 12:12 AM
Guns951
Race Car

lowside: How is it ironic? I'm eluding to a well handling car in suspension terms so that the high output of the motor isn't just wasted. In the right hands this thing will be an incredible tool, but for me its a toy that one day I'll be able to drive fairly well on a track. The only standard I have to "race" against is myself, no one else.

As far as "buying all the options"...last time I checked there aren't any completed GTR replicas out there...and there isn't a kit to build one....and every last part i've purchased has been researched to oblivion so I'm a little lost on where you're coming from.

BTW I've been in Afghanistan for the past 4 years, next week I'm transferring to Baghdad. Yes I would like to build this car myself, if I could I'd have an apartment or tent right outside their shop but the simple reality is I can't. Its much more difficult to do it this way - I have to describe what I want over the phone...in body work terms do you have any idea how hard that is?

I wish you well in your project and envy the fact that you can be there to be a part of the build. My job is my passion, my build project my dream...sometimes we have to sacrifice one aspect in order to get what we want.

Edit: The "RS" widebody kit was installed by me on one of my vacations back to the US for 2 weeks. I was going to have the body shop just finish my work and make it professional but I got to thinking about how I wanted a GTR since awhile back...This project has involved much blood sweat and tears before it even went to the body shop.

Quick Reply: DE Rules for Car Build Up