Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Rules for Car Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:26 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

The faster the car, the slower your progression as a driver.

Sounds like a fun project, but you'd be better off building your project car and then buying a ratty old 944 non-Turbo to start DE's in. You'll learn a LOT more and be better able to handle your dream car after building up to the speed in a much less capable car.

The fact that you are even asking about "rules" for a car build for a DE makes me wonder if you really understand the goal of a DE in the first place.
Old 05-14-2007 | 12:27 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Sterm, Read the thread - by the time I'm risking my $200k worth of fiberglass and sheetmetal on the track I'm not going to be a novice. Doesn't anyone read before posting?

I'm looking for help on DE regulations which there really aren't many that I didn't know about. Thanks for everyone that helped me out, Red, Dr. Jupeman, Bobt993.

I guess new guys have a bad rep until proven, maybe I should just cancel my PCA membership since I'm not an expert driver building a car and ASKING FOR GUIDENCE from seasoned DE/Club Racers. I've never seen someone given **** because they aspire to be good and are getting training.

AGAIN I AM NOT GOING TO USE THIS AS MY FIRST CAR I'M JUST LOOKING FOR RULES ON WHICH TO BUILD THE CAR.

LOOK AT MY LOCATION I'M IN AFGHANISTAN...I CAN'T DRIVE UNTIL I DEPLOY BACK TO THE US!!!!!

Mods please close this thread.
Old 05-14-2007 | 12:29 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guns951
I guess new guys have a bad rep until proven, maybe I should just cancel my PCA membership since I'm not an expert driver building a car and ASKING FOR GUIDENCE from seasoned DE/Club Racers. I've never seen someone given **** because they aspire to be good and are getting training.
Perhaps you should listen to the guidance that is being offered from the seasoned folks here in the board?
Old 05-14-2007 | 12:31 PM
Guns951
Race Car

I do, more than you know but no one is seeming to listen to the fact that i'm not looking to start racing, i'm just building a car.

Its like today I decided to go with a 996 cup car suspension which just saved me 15k in fabrication costs etc. I didn't know I had the freedom to do that until someone mentioned less restrictions in DE!

I don't care how fast I am, I just want to be a good driver etc. But I do want to build the best car I can afford to.
Old 05-14-2007 | 12:49 PM
JayP
Pro

I don't think anyone is nailing you for building a fast car. Everyone is basing their comments on experiences with noobs who show up at the track with crazy-built racers.

What you're building is a lot of car and will be difficult drive. Add to that your experience level of driving and you have a lot of learning ahead of you. Be aware of that steep learning curve with this car.
Old 05-14-2007 | 01:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

So what car are you going to use to learn to drive in?
Old 05-14-2007 | 01:00 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I did read your first post. Usually you are on ignore, but I found this topic interesting. I would still be worried about riding in this car with someone who has not gathered A TON of experience before learning how to drive a GT1 car. That is typically not a car someone drives if they still are seeking out guidance for track driving.

I learned on a stock 951, I wish I learned on a 914 or non turbo 944. As mentioned before, the faster the car, the slower the learning curve.
Old 05-14-2007 | 01:12 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
......you'd be better off building your project car and then buying a ratty old 944 non-Turbo to start DE's in. You'll learn a LOT more and be better able to handle your dream car after building up to the speed in a much less capable car.......

HEY !

I resemble that remark Please refrain from any dispariging remarks about my POS.
Thank you.
Old 05-14-2007 | 01:16 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

to answer your question, and not go OT about your personal goals or qualifications, etc.. it is pretty simple.

my region has a DE tech form. If you have a porsche car with a porsche motor that meets all the requirements of the tech form, you are good to go, afaik. Pretty much everything on the form is safety and mechanical condition related.
Old 05-14-2007 | 01:40 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Ok. to the OP, to you even know what a DE is? There is no car classification of any kind, all of the classification is for the driver. It is not a race, it is not timed, there is no trophy, passing is done with permission of the car in front of you, etc. It is a High Performance Driving Event or Drivers Education. As other's have said the car needs to pass a mechanical/safety inspection and that is really it. Doesn't matter if you have an Enzo or Kia if you don't have any experience you are both starting as beginners and will be evaluated as you demonstrate "skill", consistency and safety awareness on the track.
Old 05-14-2007 | 02:22 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guns, everyone has mentioned the safety aspect, instructor, Learning. I will offer the following; turn the boost down at the first DE's because you will start in Novice no matter where you go and your instructor will not be happy if pounce on the bumper in front of you. You have passing rules within passing areas and your first ever session, you won't even have that, and the instructor will take the car on your first outing. DE is about learning a proper line around a race track, having fun, and doing that in an evnvironment that is made as safe as possible. As your skill progresses with track managment, along with your safety aspects, you will be moved to a faster group and can enjoy the car more but always watching out for yourself, but also your fellow participants. good luck
Old 05-14-2007 | 02:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

Smells like a potential Colorchange/Ghettoracer candidate.
Old 05-14-2007 | 02:55 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

As an tech inspector for both DE and Club Race I have seen more $ thrown away by folks that "know" what they want. How can you know what you want your car to do untill you know high peformance driving? Street is all about the speed and getting pushed back in the seat. Track driving is all about hanging it in the corners and all around quickness. You mention that you "saved" $15K. In order to save any money you need to spend it well. Any money spent on the wrong stuff is %100 lost money even if it was 50% off.
Take your time, get a car that runs and drives well but is not hopped up. Learn to drive for a year or two and then enter into a build or buy project that will save you money and get your rocks off. Learn some and build or get a good car that is not a bunch of stuff bolted together that leaves you wanting as it never runs or handles right or gets passed by a bunch of guys in 9XXs that have far less money in them. As important you might build something and then heat yourself after you find you did not know what you wanted to do with it and built the wrong car. What happens after a couple of years and you are like most DE drivers saying "Now what?" You have built a car that is no good for anything but DE. There are tons of bad build DE only cars around and if you move on to racing you will ether get your *** handed to you on track by folks that built smartly to a spec or sell yours for pennys on the dollar if that. Even well built and track win proven race cars sell for small % of build cost. There are many before you that have done just that and learned the hard way. Feel free to learn from others rather than yourself and truly "save" money. That is what the experenced folks are saying. If I were on day one incountry I would sure as hell listen to the short timers.

No one is knocking you directly, there are folks here than have seen plenty before. We are all diferent and you are not the first guy to cook up a car before he has some peformance driving under his belt. Listen to them if you want to learn. If you want to hear only your own answers don't bother the brain pool, You will get answers to problems and questions like them or not and echo free. Money does not make a good car, a good build recipie does. I watched a $500,000.00 + car with all the best stuff and then some get chased down on track by a good well driven and well sorted low tech but well built car.
Old 05-14-2007 | 04:50 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guns951
I don't care how fast I am, I just want to be a good driver etc. But I do want to build the best car I can afford to.

Right now you are building a car that will make you a worse driver. You may be fast because it will get down the straight quickly but other than that this is a recipe for not learning how to drive.

Nothing like having a high HP car that has a bunch of 8000 dollar 100-150 HP glued to your bumper through the turns because you've been able to cover up your mistakes with power.
Old 05-14-2007 | 05:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

cooley - He wants advice...as long as it's advice he likes.

Quick Reply: DE Rules for Car Build Up