Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock vs. Pagid Orange vs. ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 AM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems the yellow and orange pads I use now don't squeak on the street after installing new for a week or 2. And after they start squealing like a stuck pig, a track day will mellow them out again on the street for a week or 2. I might get a lot of crap for agreeing w/ you, but I thought the stock pads were quite decent too other than wear. I haven't tracked more than half worn street pads though. Bring both. So easy to change it might be somewhat moot. But guess it really depends on how you are using them at the track.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dan - when they start to squeal, re-bed the pads - or go to the track!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 AM
SB
Instructor

My experience was completely different, my Pagid Yellows squealed proudly!

Originally Posted by lwilkins
I had the same experience--my Pagid Oranges squealled a LOT (emarassingly) on the street. Replaced them with OEM and the squealling stopped, with no other changes.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you guys find that changing pads with those "anti-vibraton pads" a pain? I've removed the brake pads sensors to make it easier, but loosening these from the rears seem to take forever. Any solutions?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:12 PM
dnitake
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dan - when they start to squeal, re-bed the pads - or go to the track!
Bob, so true. Would love to get to the track every few weeks. "Honey, my brakes are squealing again. Gotta fix em. Be back tomorrow"
Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 PM
rickdm
Racer

I am not sure there is any really good compromise pad out there. I run Pagid Blacks on my Carrera 3.2 and Hawk HPS+ on my Miata. They both squeal about the same. I have just bought a set of PFC '01 and 97's for the Carrera. Some folks tell me they will be much quieter than the Blacks other say the opposite, I think it just depends on your specific calipers and rotors. I don't think any of them will be as quiet as the OEM pads.

rickdm
Old 05-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

You will sound like a dump truck on the street with Orange, they are a great easy on the rotors track pad.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Just found this old post and wanted to add to it. I just had Pagid yellow RS29's put on. These are the newer yellows. The fronts do not squeal but the rears will squeal going slowly in stop and go traffic...actually they kind of howl instead of squeal.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ran the oranges on the street and track for years (used to switch back and forth also) I have found if the oranges are "properly" bedded in they make minimal noise on the street.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
Just found this old post and wanted to add to it. I just had Pagid yellow RS29's put on. These are the newer yellows. The fronts do not squeal but the rears will squeal going slowly in stop and go traffic...actually they kind of howl instead of squeal.
The howl/squeal/noise is a bit dependable on how the discs and pads are worn, how long since bedding, how warm they are, any glazing, cracks and so on... It's not really a pad made for street driving, rather to be warmed up and then continuous beating with endurable performance.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using pagid 19's (yellow) on the front and 14's (black) on the rear and squeal around town is really acceptable. So far, I have probably 12 DE days on them with minimal wear.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
So far, I have probably 12 DE days on them with minimal wear.
Rear's not much of an issue - how many running hours do you have on twelve DE?

RS29 (almost the same as RS19) can go up to 12 running hours on a cup car during endurance, a bit depending on track of course. Not really comparable to 12 DE, but quite impressive at least.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not impressed with Oranges. After 2 DEs they are pretty much toast. Although only 50% worn, they are crackled up and I'm concerned they will disintegrate. Granted, one of the DEs was Cups & Saucers (about 6.5 hours driving in 2 days), and the other was a regular DE but my son shared the car -- so double duty. Both at Watkins Glen. Lots of pad deposit, caustic dust... I'd go PFC 97 as Farnbacher suggested to me.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
Not impressed with Oranges. After 2 DEs they are pretty much toast. Although only 50% worn, they are crackled up and I'm concerned they will disintegrate. Granted, one of the DEs was Cups & Saucers (about 6.5 hours driving in 2 days), and the other was a regular DE but my son shared the car -- so double duty. Both at Watkins Glen. Lots of pad deposit, caustic dust... I'd go PFC 97 as Farnbacher suggested to me.
Understand the frustration. Cracks should be avoided with proper bed in and brake warming (go out and just floor the brakes is a no-no) and sufficient brake cooling to avoid overheating. Don't know if the PFC takes cracking better than the Pagids, but when you find out - don't forget to post the result here
Old 08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Trust me, I properly cared for the pads (bed-in, warm up, progressive increase over a couple of laps) -- they just couldn't hold up to the punishment. I have the GT3 cooling ducts and control arms for camber and was running RA1s on Fikse 13s. Lap times for me in the 2:17 range first day at WGI (street tires) and then +/- 2:13 next time and my son was running 2:30. He was easy on the brakes, but I pushed them hard.

Quick Reply: Stock vs. Pagid Orange vs. ???